Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Could swear Common Core isn't the standards for teaching itself, but merely what students are expected to convey in terms of knowledge they've gained. It will vary and there is flexibility in what the state can do and permit for the teachers, though sticking to the old methods clearly isn't working when we're progressively showing worse results in terms of education over the generations.

• Informative
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I saw a criticism of CC a few years ago and it (the criticism) smelled wrong. The example given used a check format to mock CC. The problem is that the check was sort of like a real check in that it had the same number in 2 different places. BUT it was obvious to me that the numbers given were not the same value.

A bit later I actually ahd a chance to chat briefly with a teacher who actually understood that part of the math program. It was shockingly similar to the way I showed my mom how I was working some problems when I was in elementary school. Mom (who had taught math and was an honor student in Chemistry at UCLA) was impressed that they were teaching that. Well until she talked to the teacher aboiut it. The teacher had no idea what mom was talking about!

So CC has finally gotten to the level that a gifted elementary school kid could work out on his own. Which is a big inprovement over memorizing multiplication tables.

CC does however become beyond hard if teachers do not understand it and sometimes even try to undermine it. Which sadly happend all too often.

• Informative
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For math, what I saw was that "in theory", it made some sense. For example, one way to do subtraction

would be to add .04 to .56 to get to .60., then .40 go to 1.00, then add another .34. It "works" and its one way to approach the problem. However, you are making multiple steps to get the answer. The only real life application however, that I could see for this method is if you are counting change. So this "new" approach to math is pretty limited for learning another way of doing things. Maybe this method helps a student that has issues with memorization of "4 minus 6 so you take 1 from the tens place". But trying to teach an entire class this way? God bless em all.

It goes back to Tom Lehrer!

• Informative
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For math, what I saw was that "in theory", it made some sense.

husband & I were wondering "what's going on?"
now we realize learning different ways to do problems & understanding rather than just memorizing is good!

math was a struggle for a few years for our child
however, she gets it now

she got 100% on last math test!

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
now we realize learning different ways to do problems & understanding rather than just memorizing is good!

however, she gets it now

Freshman year in college was calculus for me. Being a math and science guy i was of course taking majors calculus. This was back in the dark ages before course number inflation. Majors was 41,42 and 43. Non majors was 21,22 and 23. The really interesting part was once it got to integration the non-majors class (at least in the hands of some of the instructors) came down to memorizing the examples in the appendex of the text book. The best of the non majors folks could get memorized answers fairly quickly, but if they got something different they were lost. The majors folks could work out answers for the things they had seen before and with a bit more work things they had not.

There also were subject matter tests associated with the SAT. Math was an atypical subject in that respect. There were 2 different level tests. The easier one was pretty much just pure speed in doing simple stuff. The harder had harder problems but did not need as much speed. Good math students would actually usually score higher on the harder test. The math part of the SAT was also interesting when kit came to results. They were NOT a bell curve or anything even close. It was a bi modal curve. Two peaks. The lower scoring one was people who had learned the rules and could turn the crank. The higher scoring peak was those who actually understood the whys behind it.

Your daugher is on her way to being one of those who knows the whys.

• Informative
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

however, she gets it now

That's fantastic! I think the biggest problem with Common Core is that it tries to cover too many ways to do the same thing in limited time. I view it more as a Pareto Principle thing, the 80/20 rule. My oldest two kids never really did get the hang of math, while my youngest loves it. At least one of them inherited a love of math from me :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant