Why do people believe in Jesus and the Bible?

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Um, Jesus was Gods son, but he wasn't acting like his Dad in anyway. Jesus only did good stuff and went out of his way to help people.

Why does sinning mean you deserve eternal punishment? I don't think someone who only lied like one time deserves eternal punishment and death that doesn't make sense. Jesus was helping people and making everyone he met life better, why does he need to die for what someone else did, he should have spent all his time helping people.

The greatest help ever was when Jesus took everyone's sins upon Himself and died for our sins so that we can be saved and have eternal life.

Read John 3:16.

Upvote 0

CJmarshal

May 11, 2013
✟7,629.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The greatest help ever was when Jesus took everyone's sins upon Himself and died for our sins so that we can be saved and have eternal life.

Read John 3:16.

I just don't get what god's logic was. The god in the bible can do what ever he wants apparently, I just don't think he acted rationally. Jesus taught forgiveness, maybe god should have listened to the teachings of Jesus and instead of demanding the human sacrifice and torture of Jesus to make up for the wrongs of other people he could just forgive them for their mistakes.

The more I think about the Bible and what I read the more I like Jesus and but really dislike god.

What is the Devil, i know how he was an angel and the bibles story on him but what makes him different then god.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello, i'm 14 and didn't even really know what was in the bible until like last year. My mom said she was Buddhist but not really serious at all and my dad is atheist.
We have something in common. My mom believes in reincarnation and dad is also and atheist. Don't worry, you aren't alone in this search for truth.
Why do people believe in Jesus and the Bible?

Imagine being born blinded. Then all of a sudden a doctor comes along and gives you sight. Everything you knew and experienced in life and your perspective was based on your other senses. But now you have sight and everything changes. You see things for what they are, more clearly. You see beauty, but also horrifying sights as well. Spiritual vision is like that.
The only reason Christians believe in Jesus and the Bible is because God removes the spiritual veil, enabling us to see. Otherwise, we would remain blind, not getting it and like you, wondering what the big deal is.
Faith comes by the word. The Bible, God's word, is not like human words in any other book. These words are ALIVE. They penetrate the soul and transform the individual. They are living and active, spiritual truths that enlighten us. How you must approach the Bible is carefully. Do not take this word lightly. Be humble. Everyone has doubts and questions and that's OK. Prayer is simply talking to God. Before reading, ask God to help you to understand. show you the way, reveal himself to you. Ask Him to lift that veil and He will. He stands at the door and knocks, if you open it, he will come in and fellowship with you. So before you start making judgments about God, you need spiritual guidance to understand what you read. All scripture is spiritually discerned --that's why you don't get it!

I really liked Jesus ...
That's a good start. Since He is the light of the world, the good shepherd, the way, the truth, the life, the bread of life, our Savior, who is the exact likeness and radiance of the Father, whom the Father gave all authority in heaven and earth to, we can agree. Beyond that, we love him, because he sacrificed himself for us.
Question: Having all authority in heaven and earth, wouldn't you have to be omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent?
There were a lot of things that the God did in the old testament
Suggestion: Put the Old Testament aside temporarily and focus on the book of John, that's a good book to examine. It begins with identifying who Jesus is, God in the flesh who came down and dwelt among us. He emptied himself into Mary's womb and put aside his glory. "who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men."Phil. 2:6, 7 He became a servant with a mission to become the sacrificial lamb, who takes away the sins of the world.

...I would liked to have followed if he was around
He is and lives in all those who believe! If you are willing, you will follow him. Why? Do you want to live forever without evil? When you receive spiritual vision, your world view will change, your heart will also.

Upvote 0

Kallia

May 9, 2013
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since this thread is more active than the other one you started, I'll respond here.

The trinity of God, Jesus, & the Holy Spirit is one that is difficult for us to comprehend. After all, we are human & do not know all that God knows. You'll see many references to God's triune nature throughout the Bible, though some might not be as obvious as others. I will try to explain what I have learned & I hope it will make some sense. Then I'll find some scriptural references for you.

Before I do this, I would like to commend you on your attempt to understand. I would also like for you to know that some answers to your questions can be quite complex. If you are interested, there is a man named Dr. William (Bill) Creasy (Logos Ministries, not to be confused with Logos Software) who has some online audio & videos on teaching about the Bible & it's context. Context is very important as well as understanding the culture & time of when things were written. In saying that, the Bible is also relative to us today as well.

God is one being with 3 aspects. The Father, the Son (Jesus), & the Holy Spirit. We see this from the beginning in Genesis 1 with the word Elohim used. The word El means God & Elohim is the plural of that word. God also says, "Let US make man in OUR image" in Genesis 1:26. Here is the first hint of a triune God. It's not explicitly stated, but later the Spirit of God hovers over the waters (Genesis 1:2).

A title for Jesus was the Word. John 1:1-4 states that, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men."

In Matthew 20:19 Jesus tells his disciples to "make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." Not the names.

The word trinity is never used in the Bible. It is inferred. You may find in the back of your Bible a topical index. Look up the word trinity & check out the verses listed there. Again, pray for guidance for if you ask, it will be given; seek and you'll find; knock and it will be opened to you (Matthew 7:7).

Upvote 0

Dani K

May 6, 2013
Far far away.. to far for you to come get me! haha
✟15,686.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And this is why we homeschool.

His father is an atheist. So the school system has zero to do with this.

In any case.. I wont speak on this topic because it MAY involve a child or it may NOT.

Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I just don't get what god's logic was. The god in the bible can do what ever he wants apparently, I just don't think he acted rationally. Jesus taught forgiveness, maybe god should have listened to the teachings of Jesus and instead of demanding the human sacrifice and torture of Jesus to make up for the wrongs of other people he could just forgive them for their mistakes.

The more I think about the Bible and what I read the more I like Jesus and but really dislike god.

What is the Devil, i know how he was an angel and the bibles story on him but what makes him different then god.

Jesus is God.

Whether or not people think God acts rationally or not, He is just and holy. Jesus did more than taught forgiveness--Jesus is the very foundation and source of forgiveness; there would be no forgiveness if Jesus hadn't died for our sins.

The Devil is the father of all evil. He has some power in the world but he is not almighty like God is. The devil will be in hell forever, together with those who end up there because of their sins (and unbelief in Jesus,,which also is a sin).

Upvote 0

CJmarshal

May 11, 2013
✟7,629.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Jesus is God.

Whether or not people think God acts rationally or not, He is just and holy. Jesus did more than taught forgiveness--Jesus is the very foundation and source of forgiveness; there would be no forgiveness if Jesus hadn't died for our sins.

The Devil is the father of all evil. He has some power in the world but he is not almighty like God is. The devil will be in hell forever, together with those who end up there because of their sins (and unbelief in Jesus,which also is a sin).

I just don't think I can ever accept that Jesus is god after reading the bible, Jesus is Jesus. When I was reading the Bible it didn't occur to me at all that Jesus was god until I was told most people believed that. There are lots of times things said that make it very hard to believe that God and Jesus are the same consciousness.

Matthew 4:10 Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.

John 17:3: "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."

1 Corinthians 8:5-6
For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

1Timothy 2:5: "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus"

John 14:28: "You heard me say,'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I

Matt.24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? Matt.24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Here are few that support my view that Jesus and God were different. Plus just look at how they acted, Jesus was NOTHING like God. If the Bible is true I can accept Jesus but after how he acted in the bible I don't think I can accept God, he did to many things that make me sick and I don't think anything can justify it all the killing and torture he did.

Upvote 0

Syckological

Nov 23, 2012
Behind you.
✟536.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think I may have found one of the smartest 14 year olds on this Forum and in general.

I really like how you're questioning all this, it's the first step to understanding The Bible and Christianity as a whole, keeping an open mind :)

So, in a summary....what do you like about the doctrine and what didn't you like? Can you give specific examples..?

Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I just don't think I can ever accept that Jesus is god after reading the bible, Jesus is Jesus. When I was reading the Bible it didn't occur to me at all that Jesus was god until I was told most people believed that. There are lots of times things said that make it very hard to believe that God and Jesus are the same consciousness.

Matthew 4:10 Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.

John 17:3: "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."

1 Corinthians 8:5-6
For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

1Timothy 2:5: "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus"

John 14:28: "You heard me say,'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I

Matt.24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? Matt.24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Here are few that support my view that Jesus and God were different. Plus just look at how they acted, Jesus was NOTHING like God. If the Bible is true I can accept Jesus but after how he acted in the bible I don't think I can accept God, he did to many things that make me sick and I don't think anything can justify it all the killing and torture he did.

God is a unique being, unlike any other beings (such as humans, animals..). What is this being called God like?
He is three persons (persons not meaning the same thing as when used about humans): God is the Father, the Son a.k.a Jesus, the Holy Spirit.

Those three are the same being. I think someone posted a little chart earlier in this thread showing how those 3 persons are God and how they are not the same person; the Father is the Father, the Son is the Son, the Holy Spirit is the Holy Spirit, and the Father is not the Son or the Holy Spirit, the Son is not the Father or the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is not the Father or the Son.

Upvote 0

CJmarshal

May 11, 2013
✟7,629.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think I may have found one of the smartest 14 year olds on this Forum and in general.

I really like how you're questioning all this, it's the first step to understanding The Bible and Christianity as a whole, keeping an open mind :)

So, in a summary....what do you like about the doctrine and what didn't you like? Can you give specific examples..?

Thanks for the compliment but I don't think I am the smartest I just like understanding things.

Jesus, I really like Jesus. I don't like God( He was horribly malevolent and moody) and hell and the way if your a good person and try your best to help others but not christian you going to hell.

I'm not sure if I believe the bible is true, but I can accept Jesus because I think he is an awesome role model. If I try to be as much like Jesus as possible and live life like he would, would I be safe from hell if it exists? I don't think I could accept god because of his actions but I can accept Jesus. I already volunteer at my dads hospital and help out all most every Saturday and I have helped at the clinic to one Sunday a month.

Also my dad is an atheist but i'm pretty sure he lives like Jesus would want people to live according to the bible. He is Trauma surgeon and he also volunteers at a free clinic in DC and i'm pretty sure we have donated lots of stuff to the salvation army. My Mom is Buddhist and I don't really know what that is like but I think they believe in reincarnation but i'm not sure if my Mom actually believes that or not. What do my parents and I have to believe to be safe from hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but still Jesus spent so much time trying to improve the conditions that everyone was living in. He did everything he could to reduce suffering. The more I think about it I really think that god got jealous that everyone loved Jesus and how much attention he was getting and that was why he wanted him killed and tortured. I get why everyone likes Jesus but I don't understand why anyone would like god. Why couldn't Jesus get a army, take over god and help make earth more like heaven? You guys say they are the same but I don't get that at all, they have completely different personality and Jesus tried to talk to god a few times. Why do people think god is Jesus.
You are asking a lot of good question, but to begin with understand a few things:

Jesus could have eliminated all the needs and suffering of everyone on earth, so Jesus did not do all he could have done in that respect. For the most part Jesus is teaching through example and words the 12 disciples around him and a few others. These lessons will be repeated by these 12 for an example to others.

If there were no needy people when Jesus was on earth how would you see Christ’s Love?

It is truly sad, but humans need suffering people around them to provide easy opportunities for the experiencing, receiving, giving, seeing, and growing of Godly type Love.

Remember this world is not our home and we are but passing through and staying for a very short time, so if it helps us to fulfill our earthly objective by being needy then God will see to it that we are needy. Everyone is needy in some way.

Again, God does not like the suffering, pain and sorrow we go through, the same as a father does not like to see us fall off a bike when we are learning to ride a bike, but does allow us to ride it. There is a huge valuable lesson to be learned and a wonderful objective to fulfill.

Upvote 0