• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Why do people act religious?

Discussion in 'Ecclesiology' started by pescador, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Jesus is my Superhero

Jesus is my Superhero Active Member

+225
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    This just magnifies what He said. Respect their authority, but don't do as they do. I fail to see a conflict here. They taught the law, but through their actions they caused many to stumble.

2. Jesus is my Superhero

Jesus is my Superhero Active Member

+225
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Jesus was making a distinction between the teaching of the Law with the Pharisees having the authority of Moses, which is to be respected, and the burdens they added to the Law, while all the time having no intention of fulfilling their own requirements demanded of others.

3. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+16,569
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Scripture is not wrong, but is very limited.

4. BlessedCreator

BlessedCreator Salvation=Obedience

+110
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    We were warned of by God that "false apostles", "ministers of unrighteousness" and "grievous wolves" would enter the Church "not sparing the flock". How true this is in these end times for those with eyes to see and ears to hear.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  5. pescador

pescador Newbie Supporter

+3,687
    Christian
    Married
    Scripture is very limited? Really? What is there about the Bible that you think is limited, and what are you replacing it with?

6. Fullness of the Gentiles

Fullness of the Gentiles One nation in Christ Supporter

+545
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    According to the book titled "A history of Christianity" (not "The history" but "A history), written by Paul Johnson, the priestly hierarchy only developed after the time of the apostles. In the book he goes into great detail regarding the stages of this development. The same goes for the robes etc - it was the nobility who began aquring office and position and the schism between the clergy and the laity did not exist at first. Part Three in this book is titled, "Mitred Lords and Crowned Ikons" (450-1054).

The book contains a wealth of information and includes all the Patristic names etc.

You can see the Empire changing the church when you read this book. I'm going to make a statement now which is going to anger many: Reading this book you will see how the Roman world (the empire) Romanized Christianity rather than Christianity Christianizing in the Roman world.

Christianity, once clothed in Roman garments, became the natural replacement for the ancient pagan religions of the Roman world. Almost all Protestants can see this the moment they believe in Jesus, without reading any books - but that book is packed with solid historical information and is a great read to discover just how much the humanity of the Romans and the Roman mind crept into the simplicity of the faith, and changed things. It also talks about the claims to apostolic succession.

It happened gradually, not all at once. This is one of the reasons (only one of the reasons) why Protestants like myself, without wanting to disparage Catholics (definitely not wanting to disparage Catholics), will never acknowledge the Roman Church's claims to apostolic succession or the be "the Church".

However, one thing I've noticed also, is that every time I listen to a Roman Catholic speaker, they always seem totally sane in their approach to any subject (unlike many of us Protestants and especially some Protestant leaders/"Teachers" in certain Christian movements) - but the exception to that is when it comes to attitudes to Israel and the Jews - I've noticed that many Catholics and Orthodox Christians don't approach the subject without betraying a strong emotional anger motivating the things they say (which are often just false accusations).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  7. pescador

+3,687
    Christian
    Married
    A History of Christianity is 578 pages! Maybe sometime but not now. I've got too many books in the queue.

8. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+3,485
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    I hope you make time for it. I thought it was a very good book.

9. pescador

+3,687
    Christian
    Married
    I just bought it to read on my Kindle. So far it seems excellent; I'm sure it will continue to be that way. As long as I'm staying at home I have a lot of opportunity to read.