why do Pentacostal women always wear dresses an never cut their hair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Questioning Christian

Sep 7, 2004
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, the old hardline Pentecostal denominations took some scripture out of context, and subsequently turned their personal preferences into church doctrine.

Supposedly, it is wrong -

For women to wear pants
For boys and girls to swim together within a 35-mile radius of each other
For women to wear jewelry, including, but not limited to, wedding bands
For women to cut their hair or hairs
For women to wear dresses that show their forearms
For women to wear makeup
For women to put chemicals in their hair or hairs "Jezebel"
For women to wear skirts that come 3.687 millimeters above the kneecap

Reactions: merryheart
Upvote 0

akasmom

busy body, still soul
Feb 22, 2005
✟11,435.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
not all of us do - you'll find a lot of the women here wear pants (even shorts!), sometimes, short sleeves too. I know more women from church with short hair (shoulder length or shorter ) than long. I wear make-up to church, and jewelry too. Not much of either, but some sometimes. The point in scripture (1 Peter 3, for example) is that you don't put your value in your physical appearance. Your looks aren't what make you valuable. Also, when it somes to things like modest dress, it isn't fair to say to men and boys "don't look at women with lust" when you dress in a way that is meant to inspire it! Give your brothers a break! Most of it comes down to what is the Holy Spirit telling you to do, wear, how to talk, what to watch, etc. Let Him be your guide in every area.

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Actually, only a small percentage do so... but in certain areas it is much more common so it may seem like the norm where you are, even though it's not the norm across the board.

It's a little like the 'old-timers' in the Catholic church who still wear veils on their head to mass.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟845,828.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Even though Christians are not bound to the Law, there are Christians who are too insecure in themselves to rely and rest in the truth that God has written a new law in our hearts through His Spirit.

Therefore they impose their own set of laws on themselves and limit acceptance into their fellowship to people who comply with those laws. Most churches have an unwritten set of moral codes - what is acceptable or unacceptable.

Some churches take things to the extreme, like the Mennite sect which wear blue uniforms and ride around in horses and carts. They have imposed rules and laws on themselves that God has not required of them.

I heard of a Pentecostal church somewhere in the South where they diapproved of sleeveless dresses, but they could wear them backless! Then another church down the road had no dress code but prohibited wedding rings. The pastor of my church (who was involved in Youth With A Mission) did an extensive tour of the Southern Pentecostal churches and found a wide variation of moral standards, even within the same denominations.

it seems that every locality had its own moral laws. Many didn't even know why these moral laws were in place. They just followed the rules of the previous generation without questioning them or checking them with the Word.

Paul said "All things are lawful to me, but all things are not expedient." The only reason he limited himself in some fellowships was because of WEAK Christians who would have been offended.

This leads me to the attitude that Christians who impose laws and rules, like what was described above, are still baby Christians who have not grown up in the faith and learned to walk in the Spirit with the law of God on their hearts.

Upvote 0

amorosi

Jan 22, 2005
✟957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not gonna say too much in this thread lol :sigh:

Suffice and sufficient to say that the Word of God does give us some guidelines and is not silent in these things about dress.

Such as dressing modestly, realizing that inner heart and inner beauty of the heart and a meek and quiet spirit are more important than the costly apperal and exotic jewelry we don.

It is rather the beautiful inner spirit and heart that is far more important in God's eyes-- than the outward appearance and costly apperal, by way of impression.

God wants us to look nice and be presentable of course he does, but realize we dress to please him, and not to copy-cat the World with big impressions.

And while their are no laws on how far the skirt must be towards the ground, remember it's Church your attending, and not some nite club...or honky tonk

The church is not a place where we play the dating game as such or deliberately set out to dress seductively, or seeking to entice the lustful glances of the opposite sex.

God will deal with those who have that kind of sensuality about them in his Holy House.

never one for sitting on the fence !!
Amorosi:amen:

Reactions: hogiqas
Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
_Faith_ said:
I think it's quite interesting that even to this day they keep the tradition of wearing long skirts and not cutting their hair. I was just wondering how come.
I think Paul talked about it. But I'm really not sure.

It's called religion.

1 Peter 3:3
3Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;(KJV)

Some people have taken this to the extreme, forbidding their wives and kids to wear any gold or jewellery. That's a misunderstnding of the scripture. If they were consistent, then they shouldnt be putting on clothes either. ie they should be walking around naked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YAWANNAKNOWJESUS?

Bond Slave of Christ
Apr 28, 2005
✟16,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For women to wear pants
For boys and girls to swim together within a 35-mile radius of each other
For women to wear jewelry, including, but not limited to, wedding bands
For women to cut their hair or hairs
For women to wear makeup

Yep that pretty much covers the way I was raised very religious like. That holiness begins on the outside(yeah right). Now I know that holiness begins on the inside and works it way out. Today i don't wear my wedding band simply because my fingers are swealed. I feel naked without it. Now we do have stritct platform rules. No earrings, no slevless tops, no women in pants no shorts. That is platform rules. IMO a house without rules is a house out of control. Yes I do wear shorts and sleeveless tops and my hair is shoulder length.

Upvote 0

NacDan

Theology never comforted anyone in pain.
Oct 1, 2004
Port Neches, Texas
Visit site
✟18,891.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
amorosi said:
If you are holy on the inside

Then it will be evidenced on the outside !!

Paul said to Timothy tell them to dress modestly

That is modestly--not seductively--or sexy--or attention seeking !!

Modestly !

But what if I'm attracted to women that wear long skirts and have long hair?

Danny

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NacDan

Theology never comforted anyone in pain.
Oct 1, 2004
Port Neches, Texas
Visit site
✟18,891.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
newlamb said:
What does your wife say about those attractions, Danny! :D

Might explain the long skirts and long hair?

Danny

Ironically enough, I *WAS* attracted to this back in my teen age daze. I had a thing for the girls that adhered to these standards....I just didn't care for all their other rules...lol

Upvote 0

Normann

Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, Texas USA
✟9,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
_Faith_ said:

I was just wondering. :)

Sounds like the United Pentecostal Church (Oneness/JesusOnly) to me. A false doctrine that hinges on Acts 2:38 and twists other passages to meet their idea of gospel. I was in it for twelve years in my teens and early 20's until I saw the light.

Many of the other Pentecostals do not preach this clothes-line doctrine. I am still Pentecostal basicly except I have long parted from such nonesense in telling people what to wear. None of the clothing doctrine of this group is found in the list of given in Eph 5:22-23 FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT.

Another big difference that these people deny the Triune God we serve. It's a long story and they are border-line cult.

If I can help more let me know by post or PM.

IN THE MASTER'S SERVICE,
Normann

Upvote 0

Normann

Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, Texas USA
✟9,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
NacDan said:
But what if I'm attracted to women that wear long skirts and have long hair?

Danny

How long is long hair, sholder or waist? How short is short, I've seen girls with a crew-cut, and some with hair just to their neck-line! I believe it is the spirit of control, one UPC minister told his men it was a sin for them to wear blue jeans! Another said it's a sin for husband and wife to sit together in church! My Uncle thinks it is a sin to have an extra button on your shirt sleve, or to wear a suit and neck-tie!

None of this can be supported by scripture.

IN THE MASTER'S SERVICE,
Normann

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
Yuck! I'm staying clear of going in one of those churches. I hadn't really been around UPC people, until I moved up to the Ozarks in Arkansas. I guess you see them more in the south, than out west(where I have been more than deep south) I prefer my jeans and big tie dye t-shirts! If one invites me to their church, I'll have to politely decline. I do happen to have long hair--but that's out of honor of my Native American heritage, not legalistic reasons. But it's funny because if I happen to pass by UPC women, they comment about my hair--how lovely it is, etc. lol! Lara

Upvote 0

Normann

Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, Texas USA
✟9,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Questioning Christian said:
A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, the old hardline Pentecostal denominations took some scripture out of context, and subsequently turned their personal preferences into church doctrine.

Supposedly, it is wrong -

For women to wear pants
For boys and girls to swim together...
For women to wear jewelry...
For women to cut their hair...
For women to wear makeup

From my experience with them I found each pastor made up his own rules.
Here are jsut a few...

No Television or radio
No movies
No make up
No long hair on men
No Apple Cidar
No attendance to concerts of any kind
No music except gospel
No mustach, or beards on men
No joking

I've probably left off quite a few.

IN THE MASTER'S SERVICE,