Why do non and anti Christians tell Christians how to be Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If one says they are a Buddhist, and spend most of their time chanting for money, I would probably point them to a reading of Buddhist text, explain how they are off in their Buddhist practice, and a true Buddhist would appreciate it. If they would prefer to keep chanting for money, then they aren't a Buddhist, but a materialist, and they are free to be that, but someone who really cares about Buddhism would usually welcome instruction if they were way of base, regardless of who the instruction came from.

So, a better question is, why would a Christian get defensive, or even negate the Scripture, yet spend most of their time telling nonChristians how they should live their life, when they don't revere the Scripture?

It's completely illogical.

When I point it out, I'm not asking that the Christian act perfect, but rather, at least come up to the level of the nonChristians around them that they are mistreating. Is that too much to ask?

The ones I find funniest are the ones who ask atheists "if you don't believe in God, how do you explain Him creating the Earth?"

Remember...
circularreasoningyy8.gif

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I suspect that the Scripture convicts the Christian, and so they take it out on the nonChristian rather than obeying God.

For example, the bible says that they will know one is a Christian by their love. There are loving Christians, and there are Pharisees that get mad when you point out the verse.

I was on another site where a self-proclaimed Christian would demand that I listen to Scripture, ie. Romans 12:9 Let you love be without hypocracy. Abhor what is evil, but cling to what is good. She then explained that she had to hate me (I am gay, and therefore eeeeeeeeevil), obeying God.

I looked up the rest of the verse, and it is a call of how to love, to bless your enemies, to return curse with blessing.

Her response? I had no authority to quote scripture!

But did she? Read the passage. It's beautiful. But if you think it is a call to hate in the name of God, you don't serve the God above, but the one way, way below, and have no authority either.

It makes no sense to be a Christian, demand that a nonChristian listen to Scripture, but ignore it yourself when it is quoted to you.

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Really, yes, it's a bit annoying when folks on the interweb make negative generalizations about all Christians. But there's this amazing thing - one doesn't have to read everything that pops up on that moving picture screen next to the board of lettered keys. And if one chooses to be glued by some theoretical force, like gravity, to the screen, one can even counteract arguements using reason, logic, historical fact, etc, rather than getting mad.

We don't all have priests, and quite a few of us read the Bible but thanks for generalizing. :)

-------------------------

You mean... there are more people like me? More Christians who read the Bible?:D

Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The ones I find funniest are the ones who ask atheists "if you don't believe in God, how do you explain Him creating the Earth?"

You're joking right? Most of us couldn't care less what these people believe. We just get a chuckle out of their something from nothing absolute.

0 x 0 = atheism.

It takes a turning away of the mind to shout out that everything is an accident caused by another accident that was somehow caused by nothing. You can spin nongodianism any you want to, but the universe is not siding with a throw of the dice for its existence.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Assuming there was a first cause, how does it follow that that first cause is anything like God, as he is generally conceived of?

Well, it doesn't, especially considering the lack of evidence to support that theory.

Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the bigger question is why do the Christians and anti-non Christians tell non Christians how to be Christian...

Where is that done?

You'd think people would get that since they are non-Christian, they don't really care about how they should apply the Christian faith to their life.

Where is that demanded of them?

I also think that the answer to the OPs question is fairly obvious... To quote Homer Simpson:

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand..."

Quoting Homer Simpson is a sign of the lack of power in your assertions.

Just because an athiest doesn't care about Christianity, believe in Christiany, or have any interest in Chritianity doesn't mean that they don't get what it's about.

It seems they get what its about far more then liberal and progressives activists running around in the Church ignoring the scriptures clear messages. I notice that they are also free to believe this and live their lives non or ant Christian. Seems that atheists being around in such great numbers speaks against this supposed forced Christianization you reference.

For crying out loud, it's crammed down their throats often enough, you'd think it wouldn't be a shocker that they know a bit about it.

Where is this crammed down their throats situation happening? The education is replete with non and anti Christian teachings and the public and justice systems have been wiped clean of any Biblical influences. Since most declared atheists are not going to Christian Churches, again, where is this cramming down of throats thing actually happening?

Now as we can debate, it is far more like the non-godian teachings of exclusive secularism is being crammed down the throats of Christians and other people that practice a religion, that have to go to public schools.

Shall we dare an expose?

Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Assuming there was a first cause, how does it follow that that first cause is anything like God, as he is generally conceived of?

Scientific observation.

Ever see a redwood tree turn its wood pulp into a deck around a house?

Only one kind of person is afraid of intelligent design theory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
Scientific observation.
what scientific observation? wishful thinking is not scientific

Ever see a redwood tree turn its wood pulp into a deck around a house?
ever realize how poor an argument against science of any kind that is?

Only one kind of person is afraid of intelligent design theory.
yes, IDists, they know they are wrong, they just can't admit it.

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
You're joking right? Most of us couldn't care less what these people believe. We just get a chuckle out of their something from nothing absolute.
too bad this is a pure straw-man on your part. you must care, since you keep bringing it up.

0 x 0 = atheism.
your rhetoric fails and keeps failing

It takes a turning away of the mind to shout out that everything is an accident caused by another accident that was somehow caused by nothing. You can spin nongodianism any you want to, but the universe is not siding with a throw of the dice for its existence.
more rhetoric, and what is nongodianism? some neologism you just made up?:D
after all you seem so stuck on using neologism so much..
as for what you claim, its a bunch of bunk, no one believes this, its just more straw-mans of something you don't seem to want to understand.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Once you get away from ChristanForums, which, admittedly, is a black hole of Christian doctrine, most Christians do study their Bibles and are very knowledgable about it.

I can certainly agree that there are many Christians that actually read and meditate on what the bible says.

But can't you also agree that there are just as many that don't, or think they know what it says, and are way off base?
For example, being a gay man, I can't count the number of times when people have said that the reason that S&G were destroyed was because of gay sex. If you read the story, God was going to destroy S&G prior to that night. Ezekial and many other books explain in detail the sins of Sodom and Gomorrah, which include greed, pride, having wealth while ignoring the poor, sexual immorality (which is vague, but seeing that they were going to gang rape strangers, that's probably a good indicator of what it meant).

So, what do so many Christians think is the main cause? Gay sex. So, Adam and Steve, who have decided to live together because they love each other, is equated with the scene of men threatening to gang rape the angels (a form of humiliation often practiced at wartime which has less to do with mutual loving sex, or sex at all, but of humiliation and power.) That's like equated a rapist to the loving relationship a man has with his wife.

Can you not at least understand why the poster would suggest such a thing?

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,338.00
Faith
Atheist

0 x 0 = atheism.

0 x 0 = God

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Well, as it was stated to me at one time. If you find the perfect Church don't join for you will ruin it. We need to learn to become like minded as Jesus and model that life in our lives.The church isn't a excuse to leave God or to kick him to the curb.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this:
When I left the Church (and "God", or my misconception of what I was taught God was), I actually found myself becoming much closer to God.

Often, the God that is represented sits writing down even the pettiest of transgressions, while I overlooked the petty ones, and worked through the larger ones. God demanded perfection, while I accepted imperfection, because demanding perfection of a human is like demanding it be sunny every day. It's more important to strive for perfection, not demand the impossible. God was concerned about law. I was much more concerned about how people demonstrated their love. God demanded blood and death for the forgiveness of sin. I simply forgave.

And then I realized that the Ogre God that I was taught isn't what God is about at all. Even Scripture supports it, with Jesus stress on loving your neighbor, and that fulfilling the law.

So, as I looked back, I would see those in the Church that I had left, who thought, "I go to church. I read the bible. I pray. I'm so glad I'm not like other people," and ask them if they know of the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector. Usually they haven't, and if they have, they thank God that they aren't like that Pharisee, missing the point.
The often haven't heard the Parable, and think, "I don't kill people. I don't steal. I don't kidnap children. Look how good I am!"

It's no wonder that nonChristians look at these Christians, at the low bar they have set for themselves and congratulating themselves rather than humbling themselves, and simply roll their eyes.

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
too bad this is a pure straw-man on your part. you must care, since you keep bringing it up.

your rhetoric fails and keeps failing

more rhetoric, and what is nongodianism? some neologism you just made up?:D
after all you seem so stuck on using neologism so much..
as for what you claim, its a bunch of bunk, no one believes this, its just more straw-mans of something you don't seem to want to understand.

Since faith isn't a throw of the dice either right? :)

Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And compared to the standards of His day, Jesus wasn't a lefty?

You tell me?

He was clear (and immutably so) that marriage was a man and a woman.

He told a sinner to stop sinning and go live life that way.

Sounds like what you people call a right-winger today.

:groupray: rrreeeddddyyyy - - - - BREAK :cool::holy::preach::pray::hug:

Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this:
When I left the Church (and "God", or my misconception of what I was taught God was), I actually found myself becoming much closer to God.

Often, the God that is represented sits writing down even the pettiest of transgressions, while I overlooked the petty ones, and worked through the larger ones. God demanded perfection, while I accepted imperfection, because demanding perfection of a human is like demanding it be sunny every day. It's more important to strive for perfection, not demand the impossible. God was concerned about law. I was much more concerned about how people demonstrated their love. God demanded blood and death for the forgiveness of sin. I simply forgave.

And then I realized that the Ogre God that I was taught isn't what God is about at all. Even Scripture supports it, with Jesus stress on loving your neighbor, and that fulfilling the law.

So, as I looked back, I would see those in the Church that I had left, who thought, "I go to church. I read the bible. I pray. I'm so glad I'm not like other people," and ask them if they know of the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector. Usually they haven't, and if they have, they thank God that they aren't like that Pharisee, missing the point.
The often haven't heard the Parable, and think, "I don't kill people. I don't steal. I don't kidnap children. Look how good I am!"

It's no wonder that nonChristians look at these Christians, at the low bar they have set for themselves and congratulating themselves rather than humbling themselves, and simply roll their eyes.

Sermons of this kind are quite odd.

Are you preaching like this on Buddhist websites?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.