Why do Christians favor republican candidates?

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Most Christians are Republican in the USA.

Democrats support abortion, gay marriage, blocking funds from going to Christian schools, eliminating prayer and the mention of God from public schools, more power to the government and less to private charities, etc.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The political correctness of the conservatives (at least in America)

...And btw conservative (at least in America) don't admit there is such a thing a political correctness on their side ...

fails to mention that conservative (at least in America) are in fact for big government as pertains to personal behavior.

Especially in the area's for women's health care, sexuality, gender and the ability of various people to run their own lives.

There's a slight point to be made in the case of the last of those, but all the rest are incorrect. Just sayin. There's no need to debate them all.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most Christians are Republican in the USA.

Democrats support abortion, gay marriage, blocking funds from going to Christian schools, eliminating prayer and the mention of God from public schools, more power to the government and less to private charities, etc.
Christians may "be against" all of those things, but not all Christians are. And, in any case, people commonly vote for parties and candidates who stand for things that they, the voters, actually oppose. These issues are good examples of the phenomenon.

Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
, gay marriage, blocking funds from going to Christian schools, eliminating prayer and the mention of God from public schools, more power to the government and less to private charities, etc.

Put another way:

Democrats support personal freedom and the Constitution.

Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Even conceding that Republicans may support some old laws on sexual behavior, etc., it's not credible to say that Democrats, who want to control virtually everything in your life and are opposed to most of the Articles of the Constitution, are for personal freedom and the Constitution. ^_^

Upvote 0

Pwnerer

Sep 22, 2007
✟16,085.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
Couple reasons. Can't speak for all Christians, but here are some guesses:

Imagine going to the convenience store and shooting the clerk in the face. Dead instantly. The only reason is that he didn't make my life convenient enough, by my standards. No Christian can support that. Now, make it your own kid behind the counter. Now, make it chopping up his brains, or chemically burning his lungs out. In general, Democrats think you can do this and somehow not be a sub-human, demonic monster.

Then, we're talking about a party that booed God. On national television. That might be another reason.

Upvote 0

pshreve

Mar 28, 2016
Albuquerque
✟7,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We could argue this all day. But ok, I'll play with him on this.

The political correctness of the conservatives (at least in America)

...And btw conservative (at least in America) don't admit there is such a thing a political correctness on their side ...

fails to mention that conservative (at least in America) are in fact for big government as pertains to personal behavior.

Especially in the area's for women's health care, sexuality, gender and the ability of various people to run their own lives.

and as you say:

I guess it's interesting to define where to draw the line in terms of the size of government. While it's easy for one to say, as the original post I copied did, that big government suffocates freedoms it is also the force that protects and promotes it (democratic governments anyways)

I guess I wouldn't say most Republicans, http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/03/14/exit-polls-and-the-evangelical-vote-a-closer-look/ I meant as a percentage of those registered to parties. Granted millineials seem to love the idea of being independent not voting in primaries then complaining about the results.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
"Why do Christians favor Republican candidates?"

Well, first of all, let me tell you that the world of politics as a whole baffle me no matter what side it comes from, so I don't know how good an answer I can give other than what's based on mere observation from my rather blurry perspective. I am a voter, registered nonpartisan as I don't vote party line, just for whomever I believe can deliver the best though not without making some mistakes as the human beings they are. Sometimes I vote "none" if I am unimpressed with all of the choices (third parties included). I pray for all government officials currently in office as well as up-and-coming ones, whoever they may be.

Back to the question at hand on why many Christians (though not all) seem to be Republican (or generally lean conservative): Many have stated that they do it because they are the "most moral", being against homosexuality and abortion. While I most definitely stand against those things, I think there is more to it than that, along with other issues that need consideration from all sides. But here is where I often face a dilemma, seeing that my views on politics in general (as I understand it) is such a mixed bag that I don't relate to one party. I've always felt (and still do) that politics lack morals no matter what the party, and this is where prayer is needed. Not biased "prayers" of praying destruction and harm to ones we don't agree with while exalting to "god status" the ones we do, but genuine prayers that God will lead whoever gets in office to make decisions that will benefit the people in general. I hope this all makes sense.

That being said, I'm looking at Cruz at the moment, as everything seems to look good on his end from what I know and can see. However, if he doesn't make it as one of the "main two", I may consider voting "third party" or "none". And if he actually does make it (and I think the chances are pretty good, personally), he may not achieve the greatness of, say, Washington, Lincoln, or Kennedy (yes, they too were human and made mistakes, but let's face it, theirs were mighty big shoes to fill!), but any President or other government official who tries his/her best to govern with standards and good (in general) judgement, it is indeed a respectable thing. Regardless of party line.

In closing, I am well aware that some here may disagree with what I have just brought forth. However, I don't wish to debate with anyone here, so if anyone is tempted to try, I advise you not to do so. It was difficult enough for me to explain my feelings on this very touchy issue, and besides, debate is not my cup of tea. But I will welcome any honest questions regarding what I just said (via PM), which I will answer to the best of my ability according to my understanding of this issue as soon as I can. Like I said, the world of politics is confusing!

Okay, I said my piece. Carry on, people.... :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Even conceding that Republicans may support some old laws on sexual behavior, etc., it's not credible to say that Democrats, who want to control virtually everything in your life and are opposed to most of the Articles of the Constitution, are for personal freedom and the Constitution. ^_^

Excuse me.

Please list 10 things (since Democrats want to control virtually everything in your life) that the Democrats have to to restrict your freedoms.

Also give 10 examples (since Democrats are oppose to the Articles of the Constitution) the the Democrats have done in violation of the Constitution.

Be specific and don't use redundant examples.

Go.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Give me 10 examples.

Should be easy if they do it daily.

Please be specific and don't give redundant examples.

I dare you .

Democrats fight to force states to keep abortion legal. That's unconstitutional.

Democrats fight for a minimum wage. That's unconstitutional.

Democrats fight for socialized medicine. That's unconstitutional.

Democrats fight to force states to accept same sex marriage. That's unconstitutional.

Democrats fight to force individuals to pay for health insurance. That's unconstitutional.

Democrats fight to force individuals to do business with those who violate their religious beliefs. That's unconstitutional.

Democrats fight to allow non citizens to vote. That's unconstitutional.

Democrats fight to limit free speech. That's unconstitutional.

Democrats fight to take guns away from law abiding citizens. That's unconstitutional.

Democrats fight to remove religious expressions from public spaces. That's unconstitutional.

Took about 60 seconds.

Reactions: Thunder Peel
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Excuse me.

Please list 10 things (since Democrats want to control virtually everything in your life) that the Democrats have to to restrict your freedoms.
Innumerable regulations on going into and then doing business.
Opposition to Right to Work laws.
Opposition to free speech almost everywhere.
Building codes.
Obamacare and National Health Care.
They want Compulsory Military Service
Stifling licensing regulations for the professions.
Gun registration and every other law that seeks to limit ownership.
Death taxes.
Zoning regulations.
Limiting your purchase of light bulbs, caloric drinks, and hundreds of other commodities that are deemed to be "not good for you."

Reactions: Thursday
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, just realized this was OT, don't want to derail the thread. so instead here's a joke I like:
Q: What's the difference between a bagpipe and a trampoline?
A: Eventually, people get tired of jumping on a trampoline.
tulc(loves bagpipes and bagpipe jokes!) :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Democrats fight to force states to keep abortion legal. That's unconstitutional[

Not according to SCOTUS - (Row v Wade)

Democrats fight for a minimum wage. That's unconstitutional.

Not according to SCOTUS - (Originally West Coast Hotel v Parrish but it's be reaffirmed about 20 time since then)

Democrats fight for socialized medicine. That's unconstitutional

Since America doesn't have socialized medicine this point is an opinion based on, well nothing

Democrats fight to force states to accept same sex marriage. That's unconstitutional.

Not according to SCOTUS - (OBERGEFELL ET AL v. HODGES,

Democrats fight to force individuals to pay for health insurance. That's unconstitutional.

Not according to SCOTUS - ( King v Burwell)

Democrats fight to force individuals to do business with those who violate their religious beliefs. That's unconstitutional.

That's debatable. And at the moment not being held unconstitutional so - again an opinion based on well, nothing really
Democrats fight to allow non citizens to vote. That's unconstitutional.

This is pure rat lotion. No one to my knowledge is even suggesting a non citizen to vote. It's also debatable the it' would be unconstitutional anyway since who can vote and who can't isn't addressed directly in the Constitution and in Bush v Gore the court even suggests that there is no constitutional right to vote even for citizens.

Democrats fight to limit free speech. That's unconstitutional.

Let's try to be specific, this is just a general, unsupported statement

Democrats fight to take guns away from law abiding citizens. That's unconstitutional.

Also pure rat lotion. No one, Dem or GOP has put any legislation forward to take anyone's gun away since in thee early 1990's and the legislation was put forth by a GOP congress

Democrats fight to remove religious expressions from public spaces. That's unconstitutional.

Not according to SCOTUS (ACLU v McCearvy County - among several others)

Took about 60 seconds.

Next time take your time and come up with a list that's, you know, actually true.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Not according to SCOTUS - (Row v Wade)

Not according to SCOTUS - (Originally West Coast Hotel v Parrish but it's be reaffirmed about 20 time since then)

Since America doesn't have socialized medicine this point is an opinion based on, well nothing

Not according to SCOTUS - (OBERGEFELL ET AL v. HODGES,

Not according to SCOTUS - ( King v Burwell)

That's debatable. And at the moment not being held unconstitutional so - again an opinion based on well, nothing really

This is pure rat lotion. No one to my knowledge is even suggesting a non citizen to vote. It's also debatable the it' would be unconstitutional anyway since who can vote and who can't isn't addressed directly in the Constitution and in Bush v Gore the court even suggests that there is no constitutional right to vote even for citizens.

Let's try to be specific, this is just a general, unsupported statement

Also pure rat lotion. No one, Dem or GOP has put any legislation forward to take anyone's gun away since in thee early 1990's and the legislation was put forth by a GOP congress

Not according to SCOTUS (ACLU v McCearvy County - among several others)

Next time take your time and come up with a list that's, you know, actually true.

The left wing supreme court hasn't cared about the constitution in decades.

Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The left wing supreme court hasn't cared about the constitution in decades.

The SCOTUS has been dominate conservative and pro-corporate more that anything else for a generation.

But i get it:

It's unconstitutional be you say it is. The fact that the mechanisms of the government as set forth by the same document say otherwise is complete beside the case and the whole government is just there to put upon YOU and YOUR beliefs on what YOU think the Constitution says no matter how bogus those beliefs are.

It's the political correctness of the right in this country: Nothing is as it should be because we don't agree with it.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The SCOTUS has been dominate conservative and pro-corporate more that anything else for a generation.

But i get it:

It's unconstitutional be you say it is. The fact that the mechanisms of the government as set forth by the same document say otherwise is complete beside the case and the whole government is just there to put upon YOU and YOUR beliefs on what YOU think the Constitution says no matter how bogus those beliefs are.

It's the political correctness of the right in this country: Nothing is as it should be because we don't agree with it.

It's unconstitutional when it violates or ignores the constitution.

It only matters to those who care about the constitution.

Upvote 0