Why do adults get upset over children seeing nude people?

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I don't understand this at all. Are kids mentally and emotionally traumatised by seeing body parts that in most of our English speaking nations we try desparately to hide?

Yesterday, I was doing a photo shoot out in a park with a young lady who wanted to get some tasteful semi-nude photos for her portfolio. As it so happened, there were several people who were walking past and a few kids (it is the half-term holidays for them where I live).

Nobody said anything, but about 20 minutes into the shoot a security guard came up and asked whether he thought what we were doing was appropriate, especially because there were kids. The girl got very angry and offended, and said that we were not doing anything like taking random photos of kids or forcing them to look. In fact, none of them seemed to be bothered at all.

It really got to me how hypocritical our Western society is. We think nothing of letting kids see sports where people kick each other and dead pigs as entertainment, or teach them that guns and other weapons of mass destruction are 'fun' things as toys, but the human organs that represent the creation and nurturing of life are 'bad'.

tgg

U R my Sonshine

I have a baguette, and I am not afraid to use it.
Apr 7, 2005
✟9,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
tgg said:
I don't understand this at all. Are kids mentally and emotionally traumatised by seeing body parts that in most of our English speaking nations we try desparately to hide?

Yesterday, I was doing a photo shoot out in a park with a young lady who wanted to get some tasteful semi-nude photos for her portfolio. As it so happened, there were several people who were walking past and a few kids (it is the half-term holidays for them where I live).

Nobody said anything, but about 20 minutes into the shoot a security guard came up and asked whether he thought what we were doing was appropriate, especially because there were kids. The girl got very angry and offended, and said that we were not doing anything like taking random photos of kids or forcing them to look. In fact, none of them seemed to be bothered at all.

It really got to me how hypocritical our Western society is. We think nothing of letting kids see sports where people kick each other and dead pigs as entertainment, or teach them that guns and other weapons of mass destruction are 'fun' things as toys, but the human organs that represent the creation and nurturing of life are 'bad'.

tgg
Because they are naked.:blush:

Upvote 0

Knowledge3

Mar 29, 2005
✟9,814.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
tgg said:

To be honest, alot of Western society is screwed up. I am sure it is alot different in other countries. Are you talking the UFC fighting contests? those are pretty violent.

America has a lot of freedoms, that is what makes our country.

Just don't break the laws and ordinances because they are there for everyone's safety.

Upvote 0

little_lily613

Baruch HaShem!
May 1, 2005
Canada
✟21,849.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
tgg said:

I really don't think Western society is hypocritcal. The way I see it is, some individuals are, but most people don't mind nude or semi nude anymore. At least that is how it seems since sex is even in sitcoms now.

When I have children, I will teach my kids the beauty of modesty. I will also not allow them to play with guns, play violent video game, or have dolls that are gigantically huge in certain areas when naked. They will not play sports that are violent, and they will not be watching television since even family shows have inappropriate things now. Maybe this is just me though.....

Upvote 0

McCracAttack

^ Not a drug reference
Feb 2, 2004
Clemson, SC USA
✟664.00
Faith
Atheist
Because in western culture the only time most people will see another naked human being is in the context of sex. Therefor in western society nudity=sex and children are to be sheltered from any form of sexuality. It's an odd cultural thing, but to be honest I would be alarmed if I saw some naked guy walking towards my kids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Archivist said:
It is hypocritical. The human body is a beautiful thing and not something of which we should be ashamed.

lol, it's obvious that you don't live at the shore like I do! :D

The human body can be a beautiful thing, in its place and time - not in a public park.

Upvote 0

Lucubratus

Mar 16, 2004
✟683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think it's a conditioned behaviour and it is hypocritical. I've seen 3 year olds escape their parents and run naked in public and everybody thinks it's "cute". Or a little boy is trying to kiss a little girl and she's kicking him away and somehow that is "cute" too and then the girl gets in trouble for kicking.

I really wonder how people can treat images of violence so casually but get all in an uproar over something like your friend's photoshoot.

I wouldn't want to go shopping or to the mall and see somebody running around naked when there are places for that but if they did, I'd ask them how they can do and be comfortable with all the germs a public venue offers floating right onto more sensitive areas.
That's at least one of the reasons for ordinances and laws in public areas.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NothingButTheBlood said:
My feeling is God clothed Adam and Eve for a reason.

Didn't Adam and Eve clothe themselves? Wasn't that part of the story that they were originally nekkid and then ate the apple and saw their nudity as shameful, so they hid from god?

Anyways, I don't know why people get upset over (mostly) nekkid people, especially the good looking ones. I mean really, doesn't anyone ever go to the beach or a public pool? Many people there have only the thinest of strings covering themselves up.

Upvote 0

Ledifni

Dec 15, 2004
✟4,590.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
trunks2k said:
Didn't Adam and Eve clothe themselves? Wasn't that part of the story that they were originally nekkid and then ate the apple and saw their nudity as shameful, so they hid from god?

Right. And then God took pity on them and made them clothes from a sheep's skin. Many people read that and think that God decided they should have clothes, when actually it was more like, "Look, if you've got to wrap yourself up in something, at least use something better than leaves. Here, this will hold together better."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The prudishness associated with nudity seems to be largely centred in North America. I'll even go so far as to say the US. It's hardly a problem in Europe, and although Canada's not as open as Europe, we're far less puritanical than the US. Why? It's a good question. The religious factor probably has a lot to do with it, but past that, I couldn't hazard a guess.

Upvote 0

NothingButTheBlood

Feb 27, 2005
✟4,508.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
trunks2k said:

Anyways, I don't know why people get upset over (mostly) nekkid people, especially the good looking ones. I mean really, doesn't anyone ever go to the beach or a public pool? Many people there have only the thinest of strings covering themselves up.

Genesis 3:21: Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

It was to show that man's sin would result in the sheding of blood.

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Adults think that their kids should react to naked bodies the same way they do- with shock, disgust, and shame. When they don't, it is unsettling.

Young children, in seeing naked people, generally do not instantly become aroused or perverted. They usually just giggle.

Upvote 0

Spinrad

Apr 19, 2005
✟20,370.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
I believe it is because adults think of children as pets. Human sexuality is something that other adults have, not pets, not toys, not children. The idea of children being exposed to sexuality early on is akin to seeing your let nearly run over by a car. You almost lost the little beggar. Can't have that. Better put up a fence or better yet keep the thing inside all the time. At the very least you will be buying a leash.

Upvote 0