Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I think, there's two ways of looking at it.

- if you were to catch me on a Sunday morning going to church, I might have my tithe and that's about it. It doesn't mean I don't have anything someplace else, but right at that moment, I might not have anything on me.

- It could also mean that he had no silver or gold for him. Instead of throwing the guy a fish, he taught him to fish. Catch what I mean?

I have a difficult time with the thought that it meant they were without any money (poor). It doesn't make sense - when was the last time you saw a poor person asking a poor person for money.

Something about them, they way they dressed, their mannerisms said to the lame man that they had cash to spare, why else would he has and "expect to receive something".

Acts 3:5 So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them.

Upvote 0

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟18,480.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 4 says "33And with great power the apostles were giving their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. 34 There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold 35and laid it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need."

Based on this passage I don't see the Acts 3 text meaning that Peter and Paul were poor because it says there was not a needy person among them. To me it is likely that they didn't have any money on them.

Upvote 0

DavidPresently

Jun 29, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟16,731.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

What are WOF teachings on this particular passage?

I agree with what the others said. I've experienced telling others I don't have money before when walking down the street, because I didn't have any ON ME. I've also meant, as in "not for you, right now." I don't carry large sums of cash in my wallet usually. I may have a bank card in my wallet, but I'm not going to give that to a beggar.

Peter and John did give of their greater wealth to the man. Our greatest wealth is our eternal spiritual wealth. But, just as it was not their only wealth, they weren't doing poorly in the earthly, we have other wealth also, including more than enough to meet our earthly needs.

Only someone ignoring other passages that show Peter and John were financially doing just fine would think it means the Peter and John were poor people. Peter owned a fishing business and he had some very prosperous catches thanks to the blessing Jesus gave him. And Eila already quoted where none of the Jerusalem believers were in lack or want - they had more than enough provided them and their assembly.

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I have thought about this alot. When Peter said such as I have, give I unto you. He was looking at the spiritual need of the man. It was what he possessed that would do the most good. Silver and gold couldn't heal anything. That he possessed something of much more value than silver or gold. And who knows, the man might have been looking for a handout, but Peter was looking deeper than that. Afterall he was a crippled man that probably lived by begging for alms. He gave the man his life back, by healing him.

Upvote 0

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟19,940.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Holy Spirit, I have come all the way from Africa to talk to Stephen about You. Stephen Merritt talks about the city and sights to see. I want so much to learn more about you, to hear more about You. Take out of his heart the things of the earth, and so fill him with Yourself, that he can not speak, or write, or talk of anything but You."
Samual Morris

Crosslight
I love you sig line!!!!!
Samuel Morris is my favorite book. :thumbsup:
I can't wait to meet him. :clap:

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Were they simply not carrying their cash with them at the moment?

Did they actually not have any money to their name at the moment?

Since scripture doesn't say, anything we come up with would be speculation.

But... one thing I've learned is that God is always our source and always supplies all we need when we need it. Sometimes people get sidetracked by what numbers they see (or don't see) written down in their checkbook and forget that God owns it all-- and will make sure we are well taken care of.

I've had ministry situations where I have needed thousands of dollars-- and not had it. Yet, literally 30 minutes before the banks closed, every penny was in hand. God knew all the time exactly what was happening and how He would provide. He knew that the money would be there in time. I've had to learn not to worry when I don't see the funds or even have any idea where they will come from. They are always there when it's time. (And honestly, while we like the security of having the money in the bank in advance, in reality we don't actually need it until the bill is due.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.