Visit site
✟83,698.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's look at the broader context from a story-telling point of view. Let's try to watch it like a movie, scene by scene.

Scene 1: Mark opens chapter 11 with the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem. He rides on a colt. Mark 11:

9 Those who went ahead and those who followed shouted, “Hosanna!”
“Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”
10“Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David!”
“Hosanna in the highest heaven!”
It is a great day and people are expectant of great things to happen in Jerusalem. There is an anticipation, perhaps even of supernatural displays.

Scene 2:

11 Jesus entered Jerusalem and went into the temple courts. He looked around at everything,
He scouts the territory. He plans for his attack.

but since it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the Twelve.
Okay, the day ends with the calm before the storm. Excitement is being built up.

Scene 3:

12 On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. 13 And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. 14 And he said to it, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard it.
It seems strange to us that Jesus curses the fig tree for nothing. He does it to demonstrate his power as we will see later. God can do whatever he sees fit. It is his sovereign right. The anticipation of the readers continues.

Scene 4: Now the storm comes:

15 On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. 17 And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it a den of robbers.’”
That's too violent for the temple authorities. They plan to kill Jesus.

18 The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.
19 When evening came, Jesus and his disciples went out of the city.
The 2nd day ends with violence but without any obvious miracle which comes next.

Scene 5:

20 As they passed by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots. 21 And Peter remembered and said to him, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree that you cursed has withered.”
This is the only example of a negative miracle performed by Jesus. This is to demonstrate his power. Jesus could have cursed the temple authorities.

Scene 6:

27 They arrived again in Jerusalem, and while Jesus was walking in the temple courts, the chief priests, the teachers of the law, and the elders came to him.
The confrontation continues from yesterday:

28“By what authority are you doing these things?” they asked. “And who gave you authority to do this?”
Will Jesus reply with a curse?

No, Jesus has demonstrated his miraculous power to curse the fig tree. Now, he would not curse the high priests and others. Jesus is rather patient with them.

29 Jesus replied, “I will ask you one question. Answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things. 30 John’s baptism—was it from heaven, or of human origin? Tell me!”
31 They discussed it among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Then why didn’t you believe him?’ 32But if we say, ‘Of human origin’ . . . ” (They feared the people, for everyone held that John really was a prophet.)
33 So they answered Jesus, “We don’t know.”

Jesus said, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.”
No violence on this day. Jesus did not curse them as he did to the fig tree.

Why did Jesus curse the fig tree?

From the story-telling point of view, the act of cursing is symbolic of God's sovereign power over his creation. Jesus suppressed this power while he was interacting with the temple authorities.

After the resurrection and ascension, Acts 12:

21 On an appointed day Herod put on his royal robes, took his seat upon the throne, and delivered an oration to them. 22 And the people were shouting, “The voice of a god, and not of a man!” 23 Immediately an angel of the Lord struck him down, because he did not give God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and breathed his last.
God demonstrated his sovereign power on this one:

24 But the word of God increased and multiplied.

Reactions: public hermit

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God can do whatever he sees fit

This is a new interpretation for me. Does God do what is fitting? Is that different than "whatever he sees fit"? Possibly it's not but maybe.

This makes it seem as if divine power is a passion to which Christ is subject and can hardly control so he takes it out on a fig tree. Our irascible tendency, according to some ancient Christians (e.g., Maximus the Confessor), can be the most demon-like because it takes control of us and tends toward destruction. Thats what comes to mind if Christ is barely holding back the rage. It's an odd fit for God but not unexpected for humans prone to sin. I wonder if there's a way to read it similarly yet without that feature.

Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
12 On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry.
13 And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.

I don't know. Maybe they had a prior arrangement and the fig tree reneged?

"he was hungry" seems unusual. In John at the story of the woman at the well, the disciples go to get food.

31 In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat. 32But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of. 33Therefore said the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat? 34Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

so spiritual refreshment was not unusual for him. This was a guy who went 40 days and nights fasting in the desert. "he was hungry" for someone like that probably has a different meaning than it does for someone like me who rarely goes without eating. Possibly a completely different meaning at the spiritual level. But, then he wouldn't be after figs to fulfill the hunger.

Other commentaries seem to agree with the original poster more or less.

This one was interesting though

St. Bede interprets Jesus's hunger as "desiring the salvation of mankind":

Just in the same way as He speaks parables, so also His deeds are parables; therefore He comes hungry to seek fruit off the fig tree, and though He knew the time of figs was not yet, He condemns it to perpetual barrenness, that He might shew that the Jewish people could not be saved through the leaves, that is, the words of righteousness which it had, without fruit, that is, good works, but should be cut down and cast into the fire. Hungering therefore, that is, desiring the salvation of mankind, He saw the fig tree, which is, the Jewish people, having leaves, or, the words of the Law and the Prophets, and He sought upon it the fruit of good works, by teaching them, by rebuking them, by working miracles, and He found it not, and therefore condemned it. Do thou too, unless thou wouldest be condemned by Christ in the judgment, beware of being a barren tree, but rather offer to Christ the fruit of piety which He requires.

Upvote 0

Ephesians321

Oct 24, 2023
Riverside
✟5,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Fig Tree is symbolic of Israel.

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

Upvote 0

Terri Dactyl

Aug 27, 2022
Midwest
✟47,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Celibate
Let's look at the broader context from a story-telling point of view. Let's try to watch it like a movie, scene by scene.

Scene 1: Mark opens chapter 11 with the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem. He rides on a colt. Mark 11:

It is a great day and people are expectant of great things to happen in Jerusalem. There is an anticipation, perhaps even of supernatural displays.

Scene 2:

He scouts the territory. He plans for his attack.

Okay, the day ends with the calm before the storm. Excitement is being built up.

Scene 3:

It seems strange to us that Jesus curses the fig tree for nothing. He does it to demonstrate his power as we will see later. God can do whatever he sees fit. It is his sovereign right. The anticipation of the readers continues.

Scene 4: Now the storm comes:

That's too violent for the temple authorities. They plan to kill Jesus.

The 2nd day ends with violence but without any obvious miracle which comes next.

Scene 5:

This is the only example of a negative miracle performed by Jesus. This is to demonstrate his power. Jesus could have cursed the temple authorities.

Scene 6:

The confrontation continues from yesterday:

Will Jesus reply with a curse?

No, Jesus has demonstrated his miraculous power to curse the fig tree. Now, he would not curse the high priests and others. Jesus is rather patient with them.

33 So they answered Jesus, “We don’t know.”

No violence on this day. Jesus did not curse them as he did to the fig tree.

Why did Jesus curse the fig tree?

From the story-telling point of view, the act of cursing is symbolic of God's sovereign power over his creation. Jesus suppressed this power while he was interacting with the temple authorities.

After the resurrection and ascension, Acts 12:

God demonstrated his sovereign power on this one:
You sure come up with some stuff!! I don't think so. This makes more sense:
the fig tree represents Israel, particularly the religious leadership of the time, which outwardly appeared fruitful (like a leafy fig tree) but was spiritually barren (lacking fruit). In this view, the cursing of the tree symbolizes God's judgment on Israel for its failure to produce the spiritual fruits of righteousness and justice.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,698.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You sure come up with some stuff!! I don't think so. This makes more sense:
the fig tree represents Israel, particularly the religious leadership of the time, which outwardly appeared fruitful (like a leafy fig tree) but was spiritually barren (lacking fruit). In this view, the cursing of the tree symbolizes God's judgment on Israel for its failure to produce the spiritual fruits of righteousness and justice.
My interpretation does not exclude your interpretation of this passage.

Upvote 0

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟6,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Fig Tree is symbolic of Israel.

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.
for a while i wondered if Jesus had but a 1 year long ministry, from just before passover to just after passover. (which is why its mentioned 3 times, but two of them could easily be the same event)

so anyhow, perhaps he did have a 3.5 year long ministry as many say he did, and the parable he is speaking of IS NOT a parable.

Upvote 0