Why did God make Different Aged Rocks

ExaltedReign

Apr 27, 2010
✟7,791.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Here is another contaminated child, I hope all of you creationists are pleased with yourselves for having done this to a child.
How so sir?

I believe this on my own accord. I started practicing Christianity by my own decision. My parents don't even believe, let a lone act like it. I don't think all of this is very important, its not how things are created, but what happens to them.
Plus, I could say that your contaminated by what you think. its a matter of beliefs. You think what you can only prove. No one knows exactly how gravity came to be, they're theories not fact. My faith is based on theories that I believe. How about I stop this flame war before it happens. Good bye.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FishFace

Senior Veteran
Jan 12, 2007
✟13,130.00
Faith
Atheist
I personally don't believe Adam and Eve were the same age; I think they were years apart, but came into existence on the same day.

This is impossible; "age" in the context of a human being usually means how many years since they were born. Since Adam and Eve can't have been born (or if they were, they were born within a few days, according to a literal interpretation of Genesis) we must be using some different concept of age. Perhaps "time since an object came into existence?" but you said they came into existence on the same day.
So I would like to know under what definition of "age" Adam and Eve were years different. Give us a nice, understandable definition, not in terms of other undefined words or phrases (I'm thinking "embedded age" here, since I don't know what that means either) The icing on the cake would be to tell us how we could actually look at Adam and Eve and discern their different ages, and also how to discern the time since they came into existence, but baby steps here.

Upvote 0

Psudopod

Godspeed, Spacebat
Apr 11, 2006
Bath
✟11,638.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
If rocks took millions of years to form, and God created everything at once, doesn't that mean it is only a old as everything else. God made rocks along with trees, vegies, fruits,etc. They're basing these things on how long they take to form, not if they were all created at once, in an already "adult" state. Same with the first trees, they appeared to be decades old, but in fact were only seconds old after got created them.

It's a bit different to that. What we're looking at is how something changes as time passes. If you take the lid off a bottle of carbonated drink and leave it off, it will eventually go flat. So if the carbon dioxide leaves at a steady rate, you can work out how long the lid has been off for (I don't know if it does leave at a steady rate, but it makes a nice example!)

We can use radioactive dating to do the same for rocks. It doesn't matter what they looked like when they were created, they will have all started decaying at the same time, so should measure the same age.

Going on to your comment about mature trees, would you expect them to have been created with tree rings? Tree rings are caused by the changing effects of seaons on tree growth, so if they had rings, it would be a sign of a fake history because these seasons would never have happened.

The earth has 4.6 billion years of history. Now you can claim that it is actually quite young and was just created mature, but you have to either explain away this history, or question why God would plant a false one.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The icing on the cake would be to tell us how we could actually look at Adam and Eve and discern their different ages...
You can't -- perfection prohibits probing.

In other words, any attempt to ascertain Adam and Eve's ages by looking for such things as tooth decay, scarring or graying of the hair would yield a negative result, since those things are indicative of the Fall, as well as the passing of time.

To subject Adam and Eve to an intensive body scan, including MRI, CAT scan, bone density tests, x-rays and blood analyses, as well as EKGs and EEGs, would show these two as being something never before seen or documented in any journal.

I would imaging doctors scratching their heads and saying, "No one is this perfect!"

Not a single sign of aging, yet they have the height, hand-and-eye coordination, vocabulary and intellect of mature adults -- extremely mature adults.

I can even imagine the doctors assuming they came from another planet.

Upvote 0

FishFace

Senior Veteran
Jan 12, 2007
✟13,130.00
Faith
Atheist
In his typical style, AV says that the "icing on the cake" portion is impossible and ignores the more basic request.

Incidentally, Doctors probably count having adult-length bones, mature sex organs and so on as signs of ageing.

However, my point was demonstrated to my satisfaction; AV has no idea what he's talking about. If he did, he'd be able to explain what he meant.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If rocks took millions of years to form, and God created everything at once, doesn't that mean it is only a old as everything else. God made rocks along with trees, vegies, fruits,etc. They're basing these things on how long they take to form, not if they were all created at once, in an already "adult" state. Same with the first trees, they appeared to be decades old, but in fact were only seconds old after got created them.

The question is why is there a continuous series of rock ages, rather than one set of similar ages for created rock? Do different rocks need different ages to be "mature?"

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The question is why is there a continuous series of rock ages, rather than one set of similar ages for created rock? Do different rocks need different ages to be "mature?"

Not only that, but laid down in order of age, and the contents they contain are also laid down concurrently in order of age.

Upvote 0

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Not only that, but laid down in order of age, and the contents they contain are also laid down concurrently in order of age.
God did that specifically to provide AV1611VET with a challenge. Otherwise AV's genius would have effortlessly swept all science before it, and what would be the fun of that?

:wave:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let's go over this again -- shall we?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Irrelevant. You define embedded age as maturity without history.

The geological column still contains history. So embedded age is wrong.
Not in Genesis 1, it didn't.

I see you guys are conflating the Creation Event with the Flood, and it's confusing you.

Upvote 0

bloodbought09

Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
united states
✟10,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rocks are being formed every day. Diamonds can take a long time to form. In the natural this happens but in the Spirit, we that are born-again are being formed like those diamonds.

1 Peter 2:4-5

4. Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious,
5. you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

John 3:12 "If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?"

Bless.

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I see you guys are conflating the Creation Event with the Flood, and it's confusing you.

The history we're seeing in the geological column, among many other sources predates when the Flood would have occurred.

Upvote 0

bloodbought09

Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
united states
✟10,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you guys want to derail this thread, do so -- just don't blame it on me afterwards.

I'm doing everything I can to keep this thread on target, and I feel I'm losing.

Zechariah 4:6 ........."Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit", says the Lord of hosts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you guys want to derail this thread, do so -- just don't blame it on me afterwards.

ROFLSHINSM!

I'm doing everything I can to keep this thread on target, and I feel I'm losing.
You feel you're losing!?

[whisper]Can it be that reality is starting to intrude on his world?[/whisper]

^_^

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

It doesn't matter how the history arose, history is still there as a result of material that had age embedded into it.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Zechariah 4:6 ........."Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit", says the Lord of hosts.

Does that also apply to people who couldn't present a coherent argument if their life depended on it?

Upvote 0