Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I searched the forums and couldn't find an existing thread, but maybe my searching skills need honing. I have a question and would like to hear some ideas and/or specific Biblical doctrine.

Why did God create?

God is perfect, omnipotent, omniscient, and exists outside of time and space. A being of that sort wouldn't appear to need anything, to feel unfulfilled, or to be bored. After all, He's perfect (complete, unerring).

So, since God has always been (long before the universe) and will always be (long after we're all dead), what sparked His sudden urge to create something? What are the beliefs as to why a perfect God would somehow feel an emptiness that could (presumably) only be filled by creating a vast and incredible physical universe to contain an imperfect, flesh-and-blood creature?

I don't intend to make this a "why are we here" question, but more of a "why did He do it" kind of question. What was His motivation, and didn't He already know how things would turn out before He said, "Let there be light?" If He already knew this, why did He bother to follow through with it?

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Love of what? Didn't He have the angels, who love and worship Him day and night? And what of those who don't love Him? Knowing what He knows, what motivated Him to create these things?

And not just humans or animals or plants, but every planet orbiting every star in every galaxy in the universe! Why did He do it?

Upvote 0

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
He wanted to...what?

What does a perfect God living in perfection want with a bunch of imperfect junk? Why would He make more work for Himself and - because He loves His creation(s) - cause Himself inconceivable amounts of grief and sadness?

What, in the way of explanation, does He give for doing what He did?

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He wanted to...what?

Create.

What does a perfect God living in perfection want with a bunch of imperfect junk?

This question does not make sense. God, being the only perfect being, knew that any creation would be less than perfect and yet, here we are.

Why would He make more work for Himself and - because He loves His creation(s) - cause Himself inconceivable amounts of grief and sadness?

How do you know that He created 'work" for Himself? God is uncaused and immutable. Nothing can "cause" God to do anything. He feels and does as He sees fit.

What, in the way of explanation, does He give for doing what He did?

having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself (Eph. 1:9).

Upvote 0

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, that's kind of what I'm asking. Does a perfect being need company? If not, why would a perfect being want company? And if there's either a need or want for company, why would that perfect being then remain hidden? Also, didn't He have the angels for company prior to creating the heavens and the earth?

For kicks?

This question does not make sense. God, being the only perfect being, knew that any creation would be less than perfect and yet, here we are.
A perfect being could have made a perfect creation. Or are you saying that's wrong? Why could a perfect, all-powerful God not create something perfect?

He feels and does as He sees fit.
Fair enough. But not helpful when trying to understand Him.

(Eph. 1:9)
Let's try 9 and 10:
Ephesians 1:9 said:
And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment—to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ.
I'm not sure how you're applying this to His purpose for carrying out the act of creation, unless you intentionally quote-mined half of it. That passage actually doesn't appear to fit into this conversation at all because it implies a plan post-creation. :confused:

Upvote 0

Joveia

Christian
Feb 3, 2004
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Visit site
✟15,340.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree that a perfect being should need nothing and be completely fulfilled in Him/Herself. But a reality where only God is perfectly happy has less happiness than a reality where God and billions of other image-of-God beings are perfectly happy. So no matter how fulfilled, lacking nothing, and contented God is in Himself, without creating people reality doesn't contain as much joy as it could contain. So I think that God decided to increase the 'happiness quotient' of reality by creating people, since He's already perfectly content, out of His goodness.

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why did God create?

God is perfect, omnipotent, omniscient, and exists outside of time and space. A being of that sort wouldn't appear to need anything, to feel unfulfilled, or to be bored. After all, He's perfect (complete, unerring).

What was His motivation, and didn't He already know how things would turn out before He said, "Let there be light?"
If He already knew this, why did He bother to follow through with it?
God creates...because He can :), & because creating is Fun :thumbsup: , and
because God knows His creations (those who so choose) enjoy an equally-constructive creative :clap: eternity... :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟873,264.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Love of what? Didn't He have the angels, who love and worship Him day and night? And what of those who don't love Him? Knowing what He knows, what motivated Him to create these things?

Why does man create art? We wish to express; to express what we are, and what reality is. It's notable that man is the only animal which creates images/icons of things. That's what God did. We're images of Him.

And not just humans or animals or plants, but every planet orbiting every star in every galaxy in the universe! Why did He do it?

I don't know, maybe there are humans (or other life) on a bunch of them. Maybe God thinks stars are pretty; I do. Maybe all the bodies in the universe serve a purpose science doesn't know yet. But you're assuming the number of stars are a big deal to Him just because they're a big deal to our minds. It's a bit of a narrow-minded assumption.

Upvote 0

Van

Contributor
Oct 28, 2004
California
✟9,814.00
Faith
Christian
Atheists constantly ask the same question, why did God do this and not that. It like asking for a re-deal when they do not like the cards they received. This question - why would God who needs nothing create something anyway - is constantly re-packaged and offered in thread after thread. The Bible tells us God chose to do it, and God does as He pleases. When faced with this truth, the Atheists then ask, "But why" knowing that the Bible does not provide an answer. Sort of like a kid being told to go to bed, and the kid, trying to avoid going to bed, says "but why?" And we all know the answer to that. :) BECAUSE I SAID SO!

Upvote 0

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
But a reality where only God is perfectly happy has less happiness than a reality where God and billions of other image-of-God beings are perfectly happy.
I'd agree if it weren't for all of the suffering. How many people do you know who are perfectly happy? And how many souls in Hell will be perfectly happy?

Why does man create art? We wish to express; to express what we are, and what reality is. It's notable that man is the only animal which creates images/icons of things. That's what God did. We're images of Him.
It's also notable that we do it because we feel a void or a lack of expression, so we create things to fill it. We build, paint, mold, and procreate because we feel a need to. A perfect being wouldn't have that need.

But you're assuming the number of stars are a big deal to Him just because they're a big deal to our minds. It's a bit of a narrow-minded assumption.
True. But if He had put life on other planets, do you think He would have mentioned that in the Bible?

The Bible tells us God chose to do it, and God does as He pleases. When faced with this truth, the Atheists then ask, "But why" knowing that the Bible does not provide an answer.
So, when atheists (lowercase "a" since it's not a proper noun, BTW) ask this question so frequently, don't you think it would have been good for God to have come up with an answer to hedge those doubts? Perhaps, if He really wanted us to know Him, He could have made Himself known? Why doesn't the Bible contain the answer?

Also, if you don't like these questions, the option is always there for you not to read them. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible tells us God chose to do it, and God does as He
pleases.
When faced with this truth, the Atheists then ask, "But
why" knowing Bible does not provide an answer.

Sort of like a kid being told to go to bed, and the kid,
trying to avoid going to bed, says "but why?" And we all know the answer to that. :) BECAUSE I SAID SO!
Regardless how many people mis-raise their children, some of us wouldn't think of perpetrating such abuses. and
Regardless how many people miss it, I am sure glad God does,
like I said above: God creates...because He can :), & because creating is Fun :thumbsup: , and
because God knows His creations (those who so choose) enjoy an equally-constructive creative :clap: eternity... :wave:

Upvote 0

Joveia

Christian
Feb 3, 2004
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Visit site
✟15,340.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'd agree if it weren't for all of the suffering. How many people do you know who are perfectly happy? And how many souls in Hell will be perfectly happy?

My understanding is that when God made us He made a copy of Himself, in His image. One aspect to this copy is that when we do the wrong thing our soul 'dies' (Gen 2:17). A soul that is willing to do the wrong thing in any situation is constantly 'dying'. Even if our life is going well this soul-death means we are still not truly contented and happy like God is. God couldn't do things any other way. There's not much 'perfect happiness' in this life, but God made a way through Jesus' death on the cross for everyone to be perfectly happy like He is at a future date. So it will happen later on to anyone who wants it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ih8s8n

Dec 24, 2005
✟1,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CoderHead said:
Why did God create?

CoderHead:

Scripture gives some insight into this. For example, we read:

"Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell..." (Colossians 1:12-19)

That's a mouthful, but there are a couple of noteworthy things to consider...

1. All things were actually created by the One Whom we now call Jesus. The Father desired that the Son should have preeminence in all things and this "all things" included Creation.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made...He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not." (John 1:1-3, 10)

2. The Father desires that we share the inheritance of His Son, Jesus.

"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds..." (Hebrews 1:1-2)

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ: if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together." (Romans 8:16-17)

The Father not only desires that we share in His Son's inheritance, but also that we should be one, as He and His Son are one. You might want to read Jesus' prayer as recorded in John chapter 17. If you do, you'll glean some further insight there. Anyhow, I'm sure that what I've written will generate more questions. That's fine. I'll talk more with you later.

"And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." (Revelation 4:9-11)

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟873,264.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's also notable that we do it because we feel a void or a lack of expression, so we create things to fill it. We build, paint, mold, and procreate because we feel a need to. A perfect being wouldn't have that need.

That may be true often, but I'm sure that "need" is not the only we reason we do it.

But as to what you said before about God already having angels for love: divine love (or even ideal human love) could not contain an idea like "well I have x amount of love, and that's more than ample, I don't need any more." Love's not functional or utilitarian in that way. Love is expansive, and wants to love more and more, I think.

True. But if He had put life on other planets, do you think He would have mentioned that in the Bible?

I can't think of a reason He would. A life form that lives so far away that we can't communicate or even know of it's existence just has no relevance for us. Or maybe that's why the universe is so big; God doesn't want us to meet the others. Humans fight enough with each other. Ever heard a song by the Offspring called "Keep 'em Separated"? :D

Upvote 0

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
But as to what you said before about God already having angels for love: divine love (or even ideal human love) could not contain an idea like "well I have x amount of love, and that's more than ample, I don't need any more." Love's not functional or utilitarian in that way. Love is expansive, and wants to love more and more, I think.
Since we're talking about what happened prior to creation, I'd also like to ask what the Biblical view is on human souls. Did they exist prior to creation? Are they sitting up in Heaven waiting to be put into a body?

The reason I ask is this: if all of our souls are already in Heaven with God before they enter a human body, just to eventually go back to Heaven (or not), then again...why did God create? We were already there with Him. Didn't He already have our love then? Are our souls less human than our temporary bodies? Are they not capable of love? If not, then why the eternal afterlife?

I can't think of a reason He would.
Jesus said He had other sheep He must tend to. Do you think maybe it was a hint? Or perhaps He was only speaking of the Native Americans, like the Mormons believe?

A life form that lives so far away that we can't communicate YET or even know of it's existence just has no relevance for us.
Perhaps you're wrong. If God created other life on other planets, why keep them separated? Do the other planets have Bibles as well? And if so, how closely do they match ours? Using multiple Bibles, couldn't we then verify the existence of and validate our personal experiences with God? I don't know. I'm rambling because I feel "off" today, so you can probably ignore half of this post. :sorry:

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟873,264.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Since we're talking about what happened prior to creation, I'd also like to ask what the Biblical view is on human souls. Did they exist prior to creation? Are they sitting up in Heaven waiting to be put into a body?

No, I believe that's neither biblical, nor a traditional, orthodox view.

Jesus said He had other sheep He must tend to. Do you think maybe it was a hint? Or perhaps He was only speaking of the Native Americans, like the Mormons believe?

Any and all created beings would be Christ's sheep, so yeah, personally I think it could mean both space aliens and humans in other geographic regions (but not necessarily in the specific way the Mormons claim).

Perhaps you're wrong. If God created other life on other planets, why keep them separated?

As I was trying to get at, we tend to fight a lot here, especially with groups of people who are different from us. But I'm half-joking about that.

On Earth, we assume the Eastern hemisphere was separate from the Western hemisphere for a long time, but they eventually hooked up. So I'm not saying we never will hook up with space aliens, if they exist. No one knows God's plan that much. Some things are very interesting intellectually, but I don't really have a need to know, so I don't worry too much about them.

Do the other planets have Bibles as well? And if so, how closely do they match ours? Using multiple Bibles, couldn't we then verify the existence of and validate our personal experiences with God? I don't know. I'm rambling because I feel "off" today, so you can probably ignore half of this post. :sorry:

I don't know. They may have the Bible, they may have an equivalent of the Bible, or they may not need anything like the Bible.

Upvote 0