Newcastle upon tyne
✟15,388.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi I'm a new Christian, but have wondered this for long time can someone help me understand this question please Preditors as in large carnovour animals. this thought occurred to me while I was watching a bear take a salmon while I was bird watching in Alaska.

kind regards,

Jordan.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
hi I'm a new Christian, but have wondered this for long time can someone help me understand this question please Preditors as in large carnovour animals. this thought occurred to me while I was watching a bear take a salmon while I was bird watching in Alaska.

kind regards,

Jordan.
Hi, there! :wave:

Nice to meet you, and welcome to the forums!

As to your excellent question, God did not create predators.

Isaiah 11:6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

Some animals BECAME predators after the Fall in Genesis 3.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

kind regards,

Jordan.
God saw that energy exchange needs to "happen" between trophic levels in the ecosystem, maybe ... ? :dontcare:

Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private

kind regards,

Jordan.
Jordan,

The thing that always subtly bothered me about nature documentaries is that they'll focus on an animal - say, a Meerkat - and then show its family playing and living happily. Then the ominous music will start as the shadow of a Tawny Eagle will glide over the colony, culminating with perhaps a younger Meerkat being taken. But what is not often shown is how the caught Meerkat will go on to feed hungry, helpless Tawny Eagle chicks.

Should those chicks starve? Should there be no Tawny Eagles to kill Meerkats? How about no Meerkats because they themselves eat beetles, frogs, small birds, etc?

I believe that God gave us this beautiful, complex yet fallen world, full of exquisite and dramatic interrelationships of birth, joy, suffering, regeneration. It's on us as humans to come to terms with the interplay of life and death, predator and prey. God certainly created it all, not just the parts that we like. And he tasked us, as gardeners, to apply our brains and love towards the care and stewardship of his Creation.

We clearly understand enough about biological interdependency to now know that loving and caring for our brothers and sisters cannot be extracted out from the rest of Creation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

kind regards,

Jordan.
Its because of sin they are the way they are. After this is all over they go back to how He org mad them that was not to each kill (Satan fall) other animals. Look what man does.. not how God created them. Its because of the fall

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,959.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

kind regards,

Jordan.
Predators are necessay to keep things in
a working balance.
Try having mice but nothing to keep
their numbers down.
Or try deer with no predators ever.
Why would they be quick and alert
if no predators?
Fat slow dimwitted is what your get.

Study some biology!

Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Predators are necessay to keep things in
a working balance.
Try having mice but nothing to keep
their numbers down.
Or try deer with no predators ever.
Why would they be quick and alert
if no predators?
Fat slow dimwitted is what your get.

Study some biology!
If you want to split hairs and talk real biology then predators are not necessary to keep things in working balance.

e.g. your cited deer population - if unchecked by predators then disease, depleted resources, social-warfare, disruption of reproductive mechanisms will all regulate the population, albeit it in a delayed fashion. The deer are never not in a working balance, technically.

Study Malthusian Checks!

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If you want to split hairs and talk real biology then predators are not necessary to keep things in working balance.

e.g. your cited deer population - if unchecked by predators then disease, depleted resources, social-warfare, disruption of reproductive mechanisms will all regulate the population, albeit it in a delayed fashion. The deer are never not in a working balance, technically.

Study Malthusian Checks!
Social welfare for deer? Seriously?

Disease is just an alternative version of predators - the real question is "why are there things that kill us?" - so not really any answer.

Your other points are OK, but for an omnibenevolent god it seems odd that resources or "reproductive mechanisms" should be a problem. Do you have a real explanation, or just avoidance?

Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Social welfare for deer? Seriously?

Disease is just an alternative version of predators - the real question is "why are there things that kill us?" - so not really any answer.

Your other points are OK, but for an omnibenevolent god it seems odd that resources or "reproductive mechanisms" should be a problem. Do you have a real explanation, or just avoidance?
Aren’t you a little peach. Read it again: social-warfare, not welfare. Granted, I’m no expert in how giant deer populations break down, so it might well be that deers don’t engage in any kind of large-group aggression behaviors that many other mammals might.

Why would you ask “do you have a real explanation or just avoidance?” You literally just posted this 15 minutes or so ago. Did I demonstrate some habit of ducking questions? Am I not already jumping on to answer your question?

Regarding disruption of reproductive behaviors - lots of species have built in mechanisms to automatically become less fertile and/or reduce their breeding instincts in response to environmental conditions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,959.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Study Malthusian Checks!
Too much silly fantasy in " no predators".
Definitely not about real biology.

Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Too much silly fantasy in " no predators".
Definitely not about real biology.
I’ve so missed our good chats Estrid ;)

Let it be publicly observed that in 12 posts to this thread, asking about why God would have created predators, the two atheist responders have done nothing to address the actual OP but instead have only shared their joy and sunshine disposition as usual, telling the OP to “Study some biology!” and then to passive-aggressively insinuate I’m somehow “avoiding” answering questions.
So as unofficial and unelected judge of this thread, I am forced to give the point to Team Jesus :yellowcard:

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I’ve so missed our good chats Estrid ;)

Let it be publicly observed that in 12 posts to this thread, asking about why God would have created predators, the two atheist responders have done nothing to address the actual OP but instead have only shared their joy and sunshine disposition as usual, telling the OP to “Study some biology!” and then to passive-aggressively insinuate I’m somehow “avoiding” answering questions.
So as unofficial and unelected judge of this thread, I am forced to give the point to Team Jesus :yellowcard:
Funny how you haven't addressed the OP, but here you are complaining that others have pointed out your failure to do so. If you don't want to be accused of avoiding questions all you need do is address them. Your response to "why did God create predators" was "nature documentaries don't tell the whole story" followed by"there are other ways nature controls animal populations." That doesn't address the question, it avoids it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Funny how you haven't addressed the OP, but here you are complaining that others have pointed out your failure to do so. If you don't want to be accused of avoiding questions all you need do is address them. Your response to "why did God create predators" was "nature documentaries don't tell the whole story" followed by"there are other ways nature controls animal populations." That doesn't address the question, it avoids it.
:yellowcard: Tweet! Additional penalty for two additional posts that contribute nothing to the OP's question. Your penalty Bungle_Bear will be to read and memorize Psalm 119.

Here I'd thought you didn't see my response #5 above, so I understand now. It's not that the OP may or not understand or agree with my answer (he hasn't replied one way or another so in accordance with all human communications since the dawn of time my presumption is that he's moved on, or is satisfied). The issue it seems is that YOU don't understand. Sadly, to this end it's out of my hands and instead with God.

As per the ruling above, you've got some work ahead of you with Psalm 119. After that, well, it's up to you. You could spend some time rereading the above post #5, glistening with wisdom and insight, in hopes that the Divine beam of Illumination be granted. Or you could scamper off to patrol other threads, policing and adjudicating the cases where it seems to you that people who've spent time and goodwill answering these questions haven't met your standards. I wish you the best wherever your road leads.

:ok:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
:yellowcard: Tweet! Additional penalty for two additional posts that contribute nothing to the OP's question. Your penalty Bungle_Bear will be to read and memorize Psalm 119.

Here I'd thought you didn't see my response #5 above, so I understand now. It's not that the OP may or not understand or agree with my answer (he hasn't replied one way or another so in accordance with all human communications since the dawn of time my presumption is that he's moved on, or is satisfied). The issue it seems is that YOU don't understand. Sadly, to this end it's out of my hands and instead with God.

As per the ruling above, you've got some work ahead of you with Psalm 119. After that, well, it's up to you. You could spend some time rereading the above post #5, glistening with wisdom and insight, in hopes that the Divine beam of Illumination be granted. Or you could scamper off to patrol other threads, policing and adjudicating the cases where it seems to you that people who've spent time and goodwill answering these questions haven't met your standards. I wish you the best wherever your road leads.

:ok:
Where in post #5 did you give a reason for the existence of predators? That's a rhetorical question - you didn't give any reason. Perhaps you misunderstood the OP and unwittingly answered a different question? Perhaps you think that simply saying "God did it" is an adequate answer to the question? Whatever the reason, you have not answered the question "why did God create predators?" so please stop pretending that you have.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,847.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
20-Old-Far-Side-Comics-That-Will-Cheer-up-Your-Day-1.jpg