Why did God command us to love one another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanderphilos

Veteran
Mar 27, 2006
✟9,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The question seems so simple, and it was recently asked of me by a student, and while I instantly wanted to answer so that we can have peace. Yet I was immedietly captivated by Luke 12:50-52 where Jesus specifically said He did not come to bring peace. Oddly enough my student pointed out to me that the Anti-Christ is the 'bringer of peace' which I never really thought about before. So back to the original question ... Why did God command us to Love one another?

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always looked at it this way... God is love and if we are of God, we'll love one another. Love is a very strong emotion and it binds us to those that we have in our lives... when we love someone with a true and strong love that is pure and honest... it is as close as we get to understanding how much God loves us.

So, why are we commanded to love one another? I think it's because if we truly and sincerely love one another with God's love, there would be unity and the hungry would be fed, the homeless would have shelter, the cold would be warm. It's is by our love that non-believers can come to know and recognize that we are different and perhaps that might help give them some hope and faith and then the realization that we belong to God... and that they too can belong to God through grace... but also through love.

I hope this makes some sense.

Reactions: Tigg
Upvote 0

D'Ann

Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This Scripture always comforted me:

1 Cor. 1-13

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; 5 it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect; 10 but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. 13 So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I always looked at it this way... God is love and if we are of God, we'll love one another. Love is a very strong emotion and it binds us to those that we have in our lives... when we love someone with a true and strong love that is pure and honest... it is as close as we get to understanding how much God loves us.

So, why are we commanded to love one another? I think it's because if we truly and sincerely love one another with God's love, there would be unity and the hungry would be fed, the homeless would have shelter, the cold would be warm. It's is by our love that non-believers can come to know and recognize that we are different and perhaps that might help give them some hope and faith and then the realization that we belong to God... and that they too can belong to God through grace... but also through love.

:thumbsup: What she said. God is love.

IMO, we are such a hate filled species that Christ had reason to say He wasn't bringing peace. He gives us freedom, choice. One will choose for Him, (love) and another against. He would bring division for by giving freedom, each of us chooses day by day, maybe minute by minute, either for or against. Choose Christ and choose love.

Now for the anti christ who brings peace. Sure, but doesn't last does it. God has to straighten things out.

Plus I would never worship any god who didn't propose the good and love.

All this MOO. Read D'Ann's post. Much, much better than mine. And RebekkaH's as well.

-Peace-

Reactions: D'Ann
Upvote 0

wanderphilos

Veteran
Mar 27, 2006
✟9,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I had thought the same way. And I agree that it does make sense that the end result of loving would on the surface result in peace ... but on the contrary ... to love one another does not mean to pity one another. My students have been forcing me to rethink my idea of what it means to love, and what is the end result of pity? Even Jesus stopped feeding the hungry when He realized that people flocked to Him not for their spiritual nourishment, but for their physical alignments. I am not questioning that we should obey God's command ... I am just wondering what purpose does it serve and How do we do what He commands. To really Love.

Reactions: D'Ann
Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
I just wanted to add that love is not just an emotion, but an act of the will (whereas we often can't control our emotions--we can always choose to love, even if it is difficult). To love is to seek the good of the beloved--and the ultimate good is eternal salvation, that is, partaking of God's love :)

Jesus came to divide because not everyone would choose to love. The anti-christ's peace is not based on love, but on indifference--it is when charity grows cold.

Reactions: Tigg
Upvote 0

D'Ann

Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:thumbsup: What she said. God is love.

IMO, we are such a hate filled species that Christ had reason to say He wasn't bringing peace. He gives us freedom, choice. One will choose for Him, (love) and another against. He would bring division for by giving freedom, each of us chooses day by day, maybe minute by minute, either for or against. Choose Christ and choose love.

Now for the anti christ who brings peace. Sure, but doesn't last does it. God has to straighten things out.

Plus I would never worship any god who didn't propose the good and love.

All this MOO. Read D'Ann's post. Much, much better than mine. And RebekkaH's as well.

-Peace-

I think you did a good job expressing what you did. You hit the nail on the head.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

D'Ann

Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had thought the same way. And I agree that it does make sense that the end result of loving would on the surface result in peace ... but on the contrary ... to love one another does not mean to pity one another.

Pity and Peace have different and separate meanings... one can love someone and still pity them...

One can love someone but not have peace with them...

I believe that one can pity someone and love them. I believe that we can pity someone and not love them. Pity and love are different concepts... but at the same time, out of love, one can pity someone. It's not the Christlike love, but in our own human way, for some... it could be a way that a type of love is shown.

We would have to care for someone in order to pity them. So... even though, pitying someone is not the fulfilling love that Christ speaks about or teaches about per'se, I think for some... it is an expression of what some believe is a type of love.

When I see a homeless person, I pray for them and if I can help them, with God's grace and love, I do my best... but I also pity them as well. This could be because I'm full of flaws and imperfections and I just feel sorry for someone who is going through a rough time in their life... how can one not feel a sense of pity for others who are suffering in one way or another? And I can't help but think that maybe in a sense this sort of pitying may be a type of love that we have because of our faith in Christ. Now whether it is correct or not... I don't know. I need to think that one over.

Now peace on the other hand... Christ didn't come here to make "peace". He came here to give hope to those who were hopeless, to bring light to those who walked in darkness. Love and peace are also two different concepts. Although, one can have peace and love... but one can exist while the other doesn't. I hope that makes sense.

My students have been forcing me to rethink my idea of what it means to love, and what is the end result of pity?
I read or heard an old saying... true love is recognizing the needs of others and instead of putting a temporary bandaid on a situation... be apart of the cure.

In other words, if we give food and money to the poor, that will take care of them as long as the food and money lasts... but if we teach them how to plant their own vegetables and how to "make" their own clothes and "build" their own homes... if we teach them the "how to's"... instead of just giving them food and/or money... well, if they know how to provide for themselves, then they will out of the good kind of pride and respect for themselves and their families, they will continue on to provide for their own needs and their own family needs. I don't believe that we should hand money and things over on a silver platter. I believe that we need to educate people in how to better provide for themselves while we also temporarily help them out. It is out of love and pity that we help others. But real love is teaching someone the "how to's".

I think it is a Chinese saying... if you give a hungry man a fish, when the fish is gone, he will go hungry. But if you teach a hungry man "how" to fish, he will never go hungry... or something like that. So... if we truly love with the love of Christ, we not only take care of the initial surface and up front needs of another, but we also take the time and care of 'teaching' one how to take care of their own needs in the future. I hope this makes sense.

Even Jesus stopped feeding the hungry when He realized that people flocked to Him not for their spiritual nourishment, but for their physical alignments.
I don't think he stopped feeding the hungry as much as he knew that the crowd was missing the point. He always preached that we need to feed the hungry and clothe and shelter the poor. :)

I am not questioning that we should obey God's command

Oh, I know. It's good to ask questions. I've asked similar questions too. :)

... I am just wondering what purpose does it serve and How do we do what He commands. To really Love.
The purpose that it serves is to bring us all closer to Christ and to each other. If we see another suffering, does that not cause us to suffer in some way or another? If we see someone hungry, does not that make us feel a great sadness and a desire to feed them?

How do we do what He commands? To really Love? We do our best in whatever way we can to take care of our families and if we do come across someone or a bad situation, we do what we can... but most importantly... no matter what.. we always pray for God's grace and goodness to show through us and that we live a life that will be pleasing to God. We love because we are loved... we love the way that we would want to be loved by Christ.

God Bless

Reactions: wanderphilos
Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think you are wandering off in the wrong directions.

God does not want us to love each other so that there should be peace on earth. And love is not "charity to the poor", though it includes it - but if you emphasise love-to-the-poor, it quickly becomes paternalistic and piti-full.

To love truly, for any human being, means to want what is best for the other person. In a Christian sense, it means to recognize them as God's beloved children destined for salvation, and to help them along their path to salvation.

Giving them bread when they are hungry is only a very small part of that. The far more important part is to mirror God's love (IOW, showing the love of God through your words and actions towards everyone), to treat everyone positively rather than negatively, i.e. as a friend rather than as an enemy, to pray for them, to give them the benefit of the doubt when they do something wrong, and when they do sin, to pray for them to be forgiven and to forgive them yourself.

In a purely temporal context, Christian love includes never taking revenge - and this is by itself powerful factor of peace between individuals and families, in communities and between nations. But this is just part of the reason why we are commanded to love.

I think Matthew 5:43-48 is as important as - and a better introduction than - the famous chapter in Corinthians 2.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you are wandering off in the wrong directions.

God does not want us to love each other so that there should be peace on earth. And love is not "charity to the poor", though it includes it - but if you emphasise love-to-the-poor, it quickly becomes paternalistic and piti-full.

To love truly, for any human being, means to want what is best for the other person. In a Christian sense, it means to recognize them as God's beloved children destined for salvation, and to help them along their path to salvation.

Giving them bread when they are hungry is only a very small part of that. The far more important part is to mirror God's love (IOW, showing the love of God through your words and actions towards everyone), to treat everyone positively rather than negatively, i.e. as a friend rather than as an enemy, to pray for them, to give them the benefit of the doubt when they do something wrong, and when they do sin, to pray for them to be forgiven and to forgive them yourself.

In a purely temporal context, Christian love includes never taking revenge - and this is by itself powerful factor of peace between individuals and families, in communities and between nations. But this is just part of the reason why we are commanded to love.

I think Matthew 5:43-48 is as important as - and a better introduction than - the famous chapter in Corinthians 2.
You nailed it. It comes down to consistency with revelation and Jesus desire that we all be a part of saving each other, and that is something we would not do if we didn't love one another.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You nailed it. It comes down to consistency with revelation and Jesus desire that we all be a part of saving each other, and that is something we would not do if we didn't love one another.

Very true... for God is love and with love, hope and faith, the greatest being love... all things are possible with God's grace..

It is because of love for us that God sent His only Begotten - beloved Son down here to be born and live and teach and then to be torchered, scourged and crucified and then raised from the dead. Only love can compell such a sacrifice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

D'Ann

Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is easy... without love for one another, then all the other commandments cannot be taken seriously an they would hold no water.

Very true. The 2 commandments that Jesus stressed... love thy God with all of your heart, mind and strength and love thy neighbor as yourself... I believe he preached this because he knew that if we loved God that way, we would naturally obey Him in doing His will and living a life of love and grace and seeking and doing God's will, which is to love. Secondly, He knew that if we loved others.. neighbors as ourselves, that we wouldn't covet their spouse or their things... He knew that we wouldn't be hurtful or hateful or spiteful, but gentle and respectful and helpful... Anyway... that is my understanding..

My favorite scripture about love is the 1 Cor 13 one and then secondly... the book of John. John really had a wonderful understanding about love.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The question seems so simple, and it was recently asked of me by a student, and while I instantly wanted to answer so that we can have peace. Yet I was immedietly captivated by Luke 12:50-52 where Jesus specifically said He did not come to bring peace. Oddly enough my student pointed out to me that the Anti-Christ is the 'bringer of peace' which I never really thought about before. So back to the original question ... Why did God command us to Love one another?
The peace of this world is easily enough achieved. Fear and dominance are all that are really necessary to ensure peace.Dictators, from Hitler to Stalin to Mao, Saddam Hussein, Pinochet, and Marcos, all developed societities that were peaceful enough.
Sufficient terror will cause people to submit, and peace is ergo achieved.

Even the family that Jesus preached agaisnt develops peace of this kind, where the peace between daughter and mother-in-law, father and son are brought about through forms of social control. Honor killing is a cogent enough example of the family that Jesus may have been referring to here.

Love is not necessary for peace. Indeed it is not even desirable. It brings out the Romeo and Juliet in us all, the irrational, the frantic, wild behaviors , the Father rushing out to the prodigal no-good of a son, and leaving the responsible son in the lurch.

Love is a form of craziness, really. People in love are pawns and sources of amusement for those who are more calculating, and have the things of this world as the more rational goals. For those in love are immamently vulnerable to their manipulations and exploitations.

So it is a intriguing question then, really! What is the nature of a God who requires us to love, who would value a world filled with compassion over a world without suffering- even infinite, eternal suffering?

Likely, there is no rational answer to the question.
And yet we all know the answer nonetheless.
The rationality of man is able to discern what the instinct of animal life is incapable of understanding.

And that is, a life without love is simply not worth the effort.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Right now my daughter is having this problem with another little girl she has been friends with all of her life. Says the little girl name calls, has fits of anger for no reason, wants to be the boss, yada yada. I asked my daughter, well have you told her how you feel when she calls you names like ‘butt face’ ? She changes the subject and wants to keep complaining about the girl. She wants me to call her mother. I said look, kid. At the very least you have to TELL Bre that it hurts your feelings when she does this. My daughter wants to dodge this and keep complaining (gossiping) about the girl. The point being that it’s not in our nature really to automatically love. We have to work at it. And what I am trying to make my daughter understand is that just because loving someone doesn’t come easy, doesn’t mean that we can’t do things differently and try to make things better.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.