✟39,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Matthew 16:
21 From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer
many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.
22 Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying,
Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!
23 But He turned and said to Peter, Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me,
for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men

In that moment, Peter had heard, but refused to acknowledge the truth.
In fact, he opposed the truth. Every believer must stand on and remain steadfast in the truth.

John 8:42-47
Jesus said to them, If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.

There were some among the believers at Corinth who did not receive the truth regarding the resurrection. They did not know the spirit by which they were speaking. The Father of lies had deceived them. This is to believe in vain.

1 Corinthians 15:12-14 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not risen: And if Christ is not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

Faith requires a believer to be grounded in the truth, which is in Christ and found in His Body.
1 Timothy
2:4 who desires all men to be saved
and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou may know how thou ought to behave thyself in the house of God,
which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
He didn't call Peter Satan, He was rebuking Satan directly because Satan was trying to bring a deceptive word through Peter.
Mark 8: 33 But when He had turned around and looked at His disciples, He rebuked Peter, saying,
Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”

He rebuked Peter's mindfulness. The OP makes clear where deceptive thoughts originate, but Peter
left himself susceptible by refusing to receive the truth and was accountable, as we would be if we
were to oppose the truth.

In that moment, Peter had heard, but refused to acknowledge the truth.
In fact, he opposed the truth. Every believer must stand on and remain steadfast in the truth.
Or as Paul informs Timothy, there are those who oppose themselves when they do not receive truth.
2 Timothy 2:
24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them
repentance to the acknowledging of the truth
;
26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Upvote 0

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree that Jesus didn’t call Peter Satan. We know Satan entered Judas just a short time prior to Jesus saying get thee behind me Satan, here’s a question I’ve thought about for some time.

Was Satan still in Judas when Jesus makes the statement in Matthew 16:23 or does Matthew 16:23 prove that Satan had left Judas prior to the statement?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree that Jesus didn’t call Peter Satan. We know Satan entered Judas just a short time prior to Jesus saying get thee behind me Satan, here’s a question I’ve thought about for some time.

Was Satan still in Judas when Jesus makes the statement in Matthew 16:23 or does Matthew 16:23 prove that Satan had left Judas prior to the statement?
There is a clear contrast between Peter and Judas. Peter spoke in the spirit of deception, but his heart
was with the Lord, to receive correction. He would later deny Him, and again be repentant, and be restored.
In the end, Judas showed regret and tried to return the silver to the conspirators, whether or not that
constitutes true repentance toward God is often debated. I would leave that to the one who will judge us all.

John 6:
70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve, and one of you is a devil?”
71 He spoke of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, for it was he who would betray Him, being one of the twelve.

John 12:
3 Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair.
And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.
4 But one of His disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, who would betray Him, said,
5 “Why was this fragrant oil not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?”
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief,
and had the money box; and he used to take what was put in it.

John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do.
He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth,
because there is no truth in him.
When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources,
for he is a liar and the father of it.

A man does not have to have Satan dwelling in him to be a child of satan.
He has a devil, or an unclean spirit, and there is as you know only one remedy,
repentance toward God, and faith in Christ. Acts 20:21

John 10:
10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Upvote 0

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a clear contrast between Peter and Judas. Peter spoke in the spirit of deception, but his heart
was with the Lord, to receive correction. He would later deny Him, and again be repentant, and be restored.
In the end, Judas showed regret and tried to return the silver to the conspirators, whether or not that
constitutes true repentance toward God is often debated. I would leave that to the one who will judge us all.

John 6:
70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve, and one of you is a devil?”
71 He spoke of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, for it was he who would betray Him, being one of the twelve.

John 12:
3 Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair.
And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.
4 But one of His disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, who would betray Him, said,
5 “Why was this fragrant oil not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?”
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief,
and had the money box; and he used to take what was put in it.

John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do.
He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth,
because there is no truth in him.
When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources,
for he is a liar and the father of it.

A man does not have to have Satan dwelling in him to be a child of satan.
He has a devil, or an unclean spirit, and there is as you know only one remedy,
repentance toward God, and faith in Christ. Acts 20:21

John 10:
10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
Right, a person doesn’t have to have Satan dwelling in them to do wrong. But Jesus actually says get thee behind me Satan, which implies it’s not just a devil or unclean spirit but Satan himself that is influencing Peter at that moment.

I don’t think Satan is omnipresent so if Satan was still in Judas then perhaps we could conclude that Judas somehow provoked Peter to rebuke Jesus in Matthew 16:22.

I certainly would agree with you that there is a clear contrast between Judas and Peter which is one of the reasons I don’t think Jesus is calling Peter Satan.

Where do you think Satan was when Jesus makes the statement in Matthew 16:23?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Right, a person doesn’t have to have Satan dwelling in them to do wrong. But Jesus actually says get thee behind me Satan, which implies it’s not just a devil or unclean spirit but Satan himself that is influencing Peter at that moment.

I don’t think Satan is omnipresent so if Satan was still in Judas then perhaps we could conclude that Judas somehow provoked Peter to rebuke Jesus in Matthew 16:22.

I certainly would agree with you that there is a clear contrast between Judas and Peter which is one of the reasons I don’t think Jesus is calling Peter Satan.

Where do you think Satan was when Jesus makes the statement in Matthew 16:23?
I understand your point, that Satan was likely present, and the Lord was addressing him directly,
even as during his temptation in the desert.
We could see this as another attempt on his part to tempt Christ to avoid His Passion.
This does not in any way acquit Peter though.
Matthew 12:
36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.
37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.
I am sure that he felt chastened by the Lord's words. Marks Gospel states this clearly, He rebuked Peter.

Mark 8: 33 But when He had turned around and looked at His disciples, He rebuked Peter, saying,
Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”

He rebuked Peter's mindfulness. The OP makes clear where deceptive thoughts originate, but Peter
left himself susceptible by refusing to receive the truth and was accountable
, as we would be if we
were to oppose the truth.

Upvote 0

notworthconsideration

Jul 6, 2023
Biblebelt, Fl
✟9,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“adversary”

Not a proper noun.

In his speech, with actions sure to follow, he was contradicting Jesus. He took a stand against what Jesus had just said… ya’ can’t get much more adversarial than that, and still remain on good terms.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Psalm 41:9. Lifted his heel against Me. Judas fulfilled bible prophecy by betrayal of jesus at Passover supper. I believe God predestined Judas for this reason. Judas was a kenite. God allowed satan to enter judas to accomplish Gods plan.
Satan wanted to sift Peter as wheat. Jesus rebuked satan. Why?? Because satan doesn't want Jesus to die on cross. Satan knows he loses if Jesus is crucified. Get the picture.
Deeper meaning. Near future, God's election will be betrayed by family, friends, neighbors, mark chapter 13 to document. Satan doesn't want the election to fulfill their destiny. Do you see correlation here??. Do you understand ??.

PROGINOSKO in Greek means = fore know, ordain, predestined. Were talking about Election. They have destiny. Jesus was foreordained to be crucified. Is this becoming clear, about Jesus and His Election.
Leb in Hebrew means = wisdom, courage, understanding. Proverbs chapter 1, God will give it to you if you diligently seek it. Pray to God about it.

Upvote 0