Why did Andrew propose something stupid?

LayHong_Loves_Christ

Jun 14, 2020
Penang
✟46,081.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
John 6: 8 Another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, spoke up,
9 “Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?”

It is obvious that the boy's food won't be enough to feed 5000 people, why did Andrew propose something so stupid?
Is this story true?
Did Jesus really perform miracle to feed 5000 people?
Or this is just a make-up story?
If I were there, I will not say something like Andrew had said.
This is like saying: 10 dollars will not be enough to feed the people of a village of 300 population. Sound stupid!

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Stupid is as stupid does. Apparently it was effective because:

And Jesus took the loaves, and when He had given thanks He distributed them to the disciples, and the disciples to those sitting down; and likewise of the fish, as much as they wanted. John 6 11-12

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
9 “Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?”
Aren't all of us Christians like Andrew today? about the power of God.

Reactions: 65James
Upvote 0

Soulx3

Feb 22, 2024
PNW
✟3,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

It is obvious that the boy's food won't be enough to feed 5000 people, why did Andrew propose something so stupid?
Is this story true?
This is like saying: 10 dollars will not be enough to feed the people of a village of 300 population. Sound stupid!

On September 7th, 1945, Jesus showed Maria Valtorta this scene of the Feeding of the Five Thousand in full, and she wrote down all she heard and saw at His behest as a first-hand witness. You can read it in The Poem of the Man-God: Vol. II, ch. 272.

Be blessed by this gift from Jesus :]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟7,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Because Jesus asked Philip how shall we feed these, John 6:5-7. Andrew then answered Jesus this lad has 5 loaves and two small fishes, John 6:8-9. Andrew was trying to tell the Master we can’t fed then all. John 6:6 states He knew what He would do. Christ was using this is as lesson for all that little is much when God is in it. Andrew and all the Apostles saw this firsthand despite their doubts, that is why eleven of the twelve were with Jesus to be witness of His greatness, I John 1:1-4, John 20:30-31; 21:25.

Reactions: Rose_bud
Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus taught one lesson here, to BEWARE of the false doctrine, so who is aware of that on a crooked forum ?

Matthew 16:5 And when his disciples were come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread.
6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
7 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.
8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?
9 Do ye not yet understand, neither remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?
10 Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?
11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Is this story true?
God is wiser than we are stupid. He can take what we have and perform His own work.

It's written as a true story, not as a parable. Therefore I believe it a true story. I think that Andrew, who had seen Jesus do many miracles, had the miraculous in mind, in his subconscious, if not counscious thinking. He was simply presenting to Jesus what he knew he had available, and submitting to however Jesus would respond to it. IOW, he was exercising faith.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that Andrew, who had seen Jesus do many miracles, had the miraculous in mind, in his subconscious, if not counscious thinking. He was simply presenting to Jesus what he knew he had available, and submitting to however Jesus would respond to it. IOW, he was exercising faith.
Your reasoning is interesting, you say Andrew was in faith, yet when Jesus sums up the disciples, about the same situation they are of little faith.

Matthew 16:8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Your reasoning is interesting, you say Andrew was in faith, yet when Jesus sums up the disciples, about the same situation they are of little faith.

Matthew 16:8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?
Little faith doesn't mean no faith. Little faith may mean hidden subconsiously.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Little faith doesn't mean no faith. Little faith may mean hidden subconsiously.
nobody displays their faith through little of it.

Matthew 17:19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

also when Peter doubted with the same little faith, he began to sink

Matthew 14:31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Matthew 17:19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Matthew 14:31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
My point was: the fact that Andrew submitted what he had to Jesus, this displayed his faith. Jesus took what he had and used it, and did not say he was in unbelief.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

And Peter expressed faith, even though he doubted. Jesus called it "little faith."

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I know I have to teach everyone on a faithless forum, what faith is.

Faith is the gift of God, and why ? Because nobody had faith, no understanding, no seeking after God, gone out of the way, nobody profitable, no doing good, not one.

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

It is not Peters or Andrews faith, it is the faith of Jesus Christ.

All fall short of God, and all are justified freely and entirely by HIs grace, which is through the redemption that is in Jesus Christ.

Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

When Jesus tells people have little faith, that is in contrast to the faith required to not fall short of the glory of God, which is the faith of Christ.

Nobody has their own faith, it is the gift of God to all. ( or it would not b by the free gift/grace of Christ)...

1 Corinthians 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

1 Corinthians 4:7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums