Feb 21, 2012
✟437,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That is nonsense. Ohio is an abolitionist state and we had an underground railroad to protect and shelter slaves that had escaped. Even a Pilgrim church I attended had stories that they would allow runaway slaves to stay in the basement as they traveled through to freedom.

John Brown (1800 – 1859), was one of the most prominent figures in the abolitionist movement. Abolitionists established the Ohio Anti-Slavery Society in Zanesville at a meeting held in April 1835. Long before The Lincoln-Douglas Debates of 1858.

Are they trying to accuse people of what they did or what they did not do?

It's not an accusation. People could own slaves in Ohio for the first 40 years. After that, any black person in Ohio was free.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
God has impressed upon me that He is a God of absolute and perfect Justice. That is why Jesus had to go to Calvary. God can forgive us because Jesus paid our debt for us. Now we have people telling us that we owe them because of a situation between their relatives and our relatives. It is not enough that we fought a war to set them free. They still seem to think someone somewhere owes them some sort of debt because of justice. Even though Jesus went to Calvary so our debt, is paid in full, and if they feel entitled then they need to collect from God.

It is an interesting concept, though that the DNA we inherit carries some sort of baggage with it so that we are still accused of what people perceive to be the debt of our ancestors. But the abolitionists get no credit for the underground railroad and what we did to rescue, save, heal, and set people free from bondage.

Nobody chooses the circumstances of their birth or ancestry. Yet it seems many people would judge you by it. This is, in my opinion, the central idea of all bigotry. Judging people by what they cannot control.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Nobody chooses the circumstances of their birth or ancestry. Yet it seems many people would judge you by it. This is, in my opinion, the central idea of all bigotry. Judging people by what they cannot control.
What if your daddy is president, then you get special treatment. Is that just as unjust?

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
People could own slaves in Ohio for the first 40 years.
That statement is incorrect. Ohio was never a state that allowed legal ownership of slaves. Slavery was abolished in Ohio during its territorial period, even before it became a state. The Northwest Ordinance of 1787, which established the Northwest Territory, including what is now Ohio, prohibited slavery in the territory. When Ohio became a state in 1803, its constitution also prohibited slavery. Therefore, there was no legal ownership of slaves in Ohio at any point in its history, including the first 40 years after it became a state. It's important to note that while there were individuals who may have held slaves in Ohio despite the legal prohibition, it was not sanctioned by the state and was against the law.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That statement is incorrect. Ohio was never a state that allowed legal ownership of slaves. Slavery was abolished in Ohio during its territorial period, even before it became a state. The Northwest Ordinance of 1787, which established the Northwest Territory, including what is now Ohio, prohibited slavery in the territory. When Ohio became a state in 1803, its constitution also prohibited slavery. Therefore, there was no legal ownership of slaves in Ohio at any point in its history, including the first 40 years after it became a state. It's important to note that while there were individuals who may have held slaves in Ohio despite the legal prohibition, it was not sanctioned by the state and was against the law.

I don't know what to tell you...took about 2 seconds to find evidence of what I said. Read it or don't.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Because it was still common practice at the time the United States was formed. Thankfully, we put an end to it. Other countries also outlawed slavery around that time. Some sooner than others. The UK beat us by decades, for instance.

It's worth noting that slavery was around long before the United States and still persists in some parts of the world. I find it interesting when the US is blamed for slavery as if it was a distinctly North American thing. Never mind the fact that it was controversial from the get-go and some states outlawed it as soon or almost as soon as they were formed. California and Vermont, for instance. The Confederate States fought to keep the barbaric practice, but there was more to the picture. Not all Southerners supported slavery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what to tell you...took about 2 seconds to find evidence of what I said. Read it or don't.
Take it up with chatbot, I just took what you said and fed it in, and gave you the response I got. I am in your corner though, if you want to fight AI then go at it :)

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Take it up with chatbot, I just took what you said and fed it in, and gave you the response I got. I am in your corner though, if you want to fight AI then go at it :)

Sorry...I don't consider "Chatbot" an authority on the subject. If you wanted to convince anyone you actually used an AI, you would have screenshot the question and answer.

Sadly, your AI is no match for me and a quick Google search for the 1830 Ohio Census.

Screenshot_20230416_235700_Drive.jpg

Is it too late to get your money back for the AI? Perhaps you should give some feedback to it's developers and tell them a random internet stranger is smarter than their "thinkin machine". Perhaps if they develop something more sophisticated they should send it my way....and I'll see if it's actually smart or just pretending. I'd offer you the chance pay me to find facts for you but frankly, I don't think you can afford more than maybe 1 fact a day for a comparable price.

However, at least if you get the answer from me....you'll be correct.

1830 Ohio census shows 6 slaves. Tell Chatbot it needs to try and understand what common sense is....figure out better methods for determining facts....or it can aggregate a percentage of its subscription fees, give me those fees....and I'll give it the right answer lol.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Sadly, your AI is no match for me and a quick Google search for the 1830 Ohio Census.
Slavery, in various forms, still exists in many parts of the world today. Despite efforts made to combat and abolish slavery, it continues to persist in different forms, such as forced labor, human trafficking, debt bondage, and exploitation of vulnerable populations. Slavery is a grave violation of human rights and is universally condemned. Many organizations and individuals are working tirelessly to raise awareness, advocate for the eradication of slavery, and support victims of modern-day slavery. It is an ongoing challenge that requires concerted efforts from governments, organizations, and individuals worldwide to combat and eliminate slavery in all its forms.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Awww....well if Chatbot was getting the whole context, it would have known that I never claimed slavery was either widespread or popular. I simply claimed that it was legal and practiced in Ohio with the exception of buying and selling. Slaves did legally exist in Ohio prior to the Civil War.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry...I don't consider "Chatbot" an authority on the subject. If you wanted to convince anyone you actually used an AI, you would have screenshot the question and answer.

View attachment 330176

Is it too late to get your money back for the AI? Perhaps you should give some feedback to it's developers and tell them a random internet stranger is smarter than their "thinkin machine". Perhaps if they develop something more sophisticated they should send it my way....and I'll see if it's actually smart or just pretending. I'd offer you the chance pay me to find facts for you but frankly, I don't think you can afford more than maybe 1 fact a day for a comparable price.

However, at least if you get the answer from me....you'll be correct.

1830 Ohio census shows 6 slaves. Tell Chatbot it needs to try and understand what common sense is....figure out better methods for determining facts....or it can aggregate a percentage of its subscription fees, give me those fees....and I'll give it the right answer lol.
You are establishing your position on the existence of six slaves?

That's probably the number at any point in antebellum period of slaves that were engaged in legal action eventually securing their freedom.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You are establishing your position on the existence of six slaves?

That's probably the number at any point in antebellum period of slaves that were engaged in legal action eventually securing their freedom.

The Census has some "interesting" rules about temporary abodes that could cause some of these "minor issues". Generally temporary abodes are not counted and the person should be enumerated where they permanently live and intend to return. (For example if you travel to another town or state to and stay at a hotel, boarding house, or roadside accommodation you should be counted at their normal home.) Students where they boarded on census day (typically June 1) even if that is away from their parents. Residents of asylums and jails were generally counted there. If someone didn't have a temporary abode, they were counted where ever they were. Slaves were unlikely to fall in those categories, but the 1850 instructions do give me one idea - boat crews counted at home ports. I'm not sure if a boat owner could keep slaves on a boat home ported in a free state, but those instructions do note errors in tabulation in the prior census for boat crews.

IPUMS USA | 1850 Enumerator Instructions (to Marshals and Assistant Marshals)

6 people out of nearly 1 million could just be errors, including errors about who is temporary versus permanent or transient. That 5 of the 6 are female also tends to support idea that they were domestic servants taken with travelers and either miscounted as locals, or the local authorities hadn't enforced emanicipation on them. Returns from individual counties or lower with households would really be needed to get a better idea.

Upvote 0

Mike from NJ

Jun 25, 2021
Lakewood
✟60,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think people, including the OP, are too quick to dismiss the Bible's impact on slavery in America. As others have rightly noted, slavery was an institution long before the founding of the country, so the Bible was not the cause of its existence in America. The issue is anyone who had doubts about the practice could see numerous passages that, instead of looking to denounce it, gave specific instructions on how to cruelly increase it. The Bible has Yahweh saying slaves could be purchased from other nations (just like what was done in America) and they would serve for life. It allows for the breeding of slaves, who also would serve for life. The beating of slaves with a rod was allowed. Twice in the Bible slaves are specifically described as property, and that they could be passed down to future generations as any other object.

Slaves in America sure could have used a few words in that book outright calling for the end of slavery, but they simply weren't there.

• Winner
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think people, including the OP, are too quick to dismiss the Bible's impact on slavery in America. As others have rightly noted, slavery was an institution long before the founding of the country, so the Bible was not the cause of its existence in America. The issue is anyone who had doubts about the practice could see numerous passages that, instead of looking to denounce it, gave specific instructions on how to cruelly increase it. The Bible has Yahweh saying slaves could be purchased from other nations (just like what was done in America) and they would serve for life. It allows for the breeding of slaves, who also would serve for life. The beating of slaves with a rod was allowed. Twice in the Bible slaves are specifically described as property, and that they could be passed down to future generations as any other object.

Slaves in America sure could have used a few words in that book outright calling for the end of slavery, but they simply weren't there.

Christians had already developed the argument against slavery by then from the bible--they clearly saw things you don't.

Roger Williams (the Puritan pastor who founded both the colony of Rhode Island and the first Baptist church in America), was an active Abolitionist against slavery as early as the 1640s, while it was still in its early stages.

By 1800, it was well understood across Christendom that slavery was a sin in the eyes of Christ.

The question is how Americans in the South East of the United States clung to slavery despite the Christian argument against it that had been accepted everywhere else.

Upvote 0

Mike from NJ

Jun 25, 2021
Lakewood
✟60,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Christians had already developed the argument against slavery by then from the bible--they clearly saw things you don't.

Roger Williams (the Puritan pastor who founded both the colony of Rhode Island and the first Baptist church in America), was an active Abolitionist against slavery as early as the 1640s, while it was still in its early stages.

By 1800, it was well understood across Christendom that slavery was a sin in the eyes of Christ.

The question is how Americans in the South East of the United States clung to slavery despite the Christian argument against it that had been accepted everywhere else.
There certainly were Christian abolitionists, but their position was in direct conflict with what God in the Bible said about slavery, not in line with it.

Also, you said in the eyes of Christ slavery is a sin. Where does Christ say that? Where does he oppose what God the Father said about slavery?

Upvote 0