Why Did Adam Eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil?

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
James 1:13-15 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death."

Adam sinned for the same reason we all sin today. He was enticed, and gave in to that tempation. The pull of desire was more important to him than faithfulness.

But the pull of his desire should not have been evil according to all the usual theology.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to read God's response, and project my own feelings into the verses, so God was very ticked in my view. God was the angry Dad who's child snuck the ice cream after they were told not to.

But now I see God as the Dad who looks on His child with pity because they have a stomach ache from the ice cream, and now He must administer the somewhat unpleasant cod-liver oil treatment to help them on the road to recovery.

I consider that fellowship and growth were all part of God's design, and growth required the knowledge of good and evil, because by that knowledge man can choose to love God, instead of just love God. Could Adam have received that knowledge if he said "no" to Eve's offer? I think so, because he would have still been exposed to the choice between his own opinion and God's. Exposure to that choice - the experience - is what opened his eyes to that knowledge.

So I don't think God punished so much as said, "Okay, option B". The path of Option A I'm sure was the easier :)

I agree with this right up until the end. I think we are still experiencing Plan A. I don't think God needs a Plan B, because His plan is (and always was) redemption.

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Possible reasons:

1. God willed it.

2. Since 1 Tim. 2:14 says Eve fell into transgression, perhaps Eve tempted Adam with the very same deception the serpent used in Genesis 3:4-5:

“You surely will not die! For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

Gen. 3:17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife...​

Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
James 1:13-15 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death."

Adam sinned for the same reason we all sin today. He was enticed, and gave in to that tempation. The pull of desire was more important to him than faithfulness.

But the pull of his desire should not have been evil according to all the usual theology.
Exactly! The desire itself isn't evil. Jesus, Himself, had desire. He was tempted as well.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly! The desire itself isn't evil. Jesus, Himself, had desire. He was tempted as well.

So are you saying that Adam's "nature" was the same before and after he ate? What do you suppose is different?

Or in other words: What exactly "fell" during "the Fall"?

Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So are you saying that Adam's "nature" was the same before and after he ate? What do you suppose is different?

Or in other words: What exactly "fell" during "the Fall"?
What changed when Adam sinned?
1) His relationship with God was ruptured.
2) He became a slave to his own passions.
3) He was denied access to the Tree of Life.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What changed when Adam sinned?
1) His relationship with God was ruptured.
2) He became a slave to his own passions.
3) He was denied access to the Tree of Life.

Ok, I was responding to your statement that "Adam sinned for the same reason we all sin". If his passions were not corrupt before "the fall", then that couldn't be true.

This is just a formal theological nit-pick, though. I'm not attacking, just unpacking. :)

Peace

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Adam knew what God said about this. In fact, he is the one who told Eve. Eve would not have known at all if it hadn't been for Adam telling her what God said...she hadn't been created yet. He knowingly disobeyed God by eating the fruit. The fact that Eve offered it to him has ZERO bearing on the fact that this action was a direct rebellion to God's command.

Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, I was responding to your statement that "Adam sinned for the same reason we all sin". If his passions were not corrupt before "the fall", then that couldn't be true.

This is just a formal theological nit-pick, though. I'm not attacking, just unpacking. :)

Peace
I think I understand your question now.

I disagree with the notion that we are born with a corrupt nature and corrupt desires. (Theologically nit-picking)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

greatdivide46

Nov 7, 2011
Alabama
✟9,561.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think all the answers given so far are certainly possible. My own take on this is Adam ate of the fruit because he was in love with Eve. He'd rather live with her in sin than to have her in sin and himself not and have to live without her. Apparently he either thought God wouldn't give him another woman or he didn't want another woman. Nothing to back that thought up, but it's just what I've always thought.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
I think I understand your question now.

I disagree with the notion that we are born with a corrupt nature and corrupt desires. (Theologically nit-picking)

Most certainly. Otherwise millions of still borns and infants who died upon birth, would be separated from God through no reason of their own. God ONLY holds those accountable who KNOW they have a choice to do good or not.
Romans 1:18-32 for your reading enjoyment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Adam ate of the fruit as a means of committing the same great sin that we've committing for our whole existence. It's the same sin that we committed at Babel, and the same sin that got Satan booted from his place in heaven - that we, on our own and for our own selfish reasons, might become like God to the end that we might usurp His place. What Adam did with that first tree was the polar opposite of what Christ did on the Tree at Golgotha.

Upvote 0

Exegetist

Nov 24, 2007
✟7,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God did punish. He told them both that in the day they ate, they would die. This was not as much punishment as it was cause and effect. Eating of the knowledge of good and evil would somehow kill something special they had and enter them into a life where death reigned. It was also option B, because God knew that this was a possible choice for His new children.

God also cursed the serpent for his deception of the woman, and cursed the ground because the man listened or only listened when he should have done something.
The problem with Adam’s response is that he had more knowledge about the serpent since he had examined the serpent when naming it. He knew more about it than the woman, and thus was not deceived. His sin was deliberate, which is why it was Adam’s rebellion that got them ordered out of the garden.

This still doesn’t answer why the man choose to deliberately disobey. Since he blamed the woman and God, I don’t think we can say that it was out of any sort of love for her. But perhaps he did like something of what the serpent said and desired to check it out.

Upvote 0

James-49

unprofitable servant
May 31, 2011
✟15,540.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The problem with Adam’s response is that he had more knowledge about the serpent since he had examined the serpent when naming it. He knew more about it than the woman, and thus was not deceived. His sin was deliberate, which is why it was Adam’s rebellion that got them ordered out of the garden.

This still doesn’t answer why the man choose to deliberately disobey. Since he blamed the woman and God, I don’t think we can say that it was out of any sort of love for her. But perhaps he did like something of what the serpent said and desired to check it out.

Your points, that Adam deliberately disobeyed, and that he knew more about the serpernt, implies that he had the knowledge of good and evil before he ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Your points say that Adam's intent was disobedience - aka evil.

I disagree.

God did not create Adam that way. Adam became that way.

Upvote 0