London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Muhammed performed no wonders, made no predictive prophecies and told those who asked for such things he was only sent to warn. On occasions e.g. with the Satanic verses he repeated the words of Satan, though he later repented of these words affirming various Meccan idols.

So why do Muslims regard him as a prophet? That is not even something he claimed for himself

"And they say: Why are not signs sent down upon him from his Lord? Say: The signs are only with Allah, and I am only a plain warner." (Sura 29:50)

Also if he was a prophet how come his testimony contradicts that of the other prophets that came before him and indeed historical fact. He claims Jesus did not die on a cross but all scripture and indeed a great many other commentators can testify to this. He gives testimony that Gabriel told him that Jesus was not the Son of God when the previous testimony affirms that he was indeed Emmanuel (God with us) born of a virgin.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also if he was a prophet how come his testimony contradicts that of the other prophets that came before him and indeed historical fact. He claims Jesus did not die on a cross but all scripture and indeed a great many other commentators can testify to this. He gives testimony that Gabriel told him that Jesus was not the Son of God when the previous testimony affirms that he was indeed Emmanuel (God with us) born of a virgin.

Islam is similar to Mormonism in that they are sort of Restorationists in their beliefs. Someone may correct me, but they say the Qur'an fixes the tampered and distortions of the Scriptures, and gives the essential message that they believe was lost through corrupt men who possessed the Scriptures, but was yet preached by the former prophets (including Isa or Jesus). The message of Islam. So they read the Scriptures through the lens of the Qur'an.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the definition of Prophet would be 'one who speaks'

Even a false prophet is called a prophet.

I think the root word means 'telling forth'.

As to whether a 'forth teller' is legit.. look for humility and consistency. These matters should be plainly apparent and not require sophisticated minds to translate inconsistencies into synthetic 'truth' that the masses are obliged to believe.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

The Semitic root is N-B-', relating to concepts of naming and proclaiming.

Muhammad certainly proclaimed something.

Upvote 0

Yytz6

Muslim
Jun 26, 2019
Versailles
✟22,158.00
Country
France
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Muhammed performed no wonders
Qur'an 54:1 "Has come near the Hour and has split the moon."
54:2 "And if they see a Sign, they turn away and say, "Magic continuing.""
54:3 "And they denied and followed their desires, but (for) every matter (will be a) settlement."

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Qur'an 54:1 "Has come near the Hour and has split the moon."
54:2 "And if they see a Sign, they turn away and say, "Magic continuing.""
54:3 "And they denied and followed their desires, but (for) every matter (will be a) settlement."

But the moon is not split. Perhaps the desert heat can make a man see things that are not there. When Jesus did wonders 4000 people got fed, the blind could see, the deaf hear, demons were exorcised and people with incurable autoimmune diseases were cured. A man with a withered arm watched it grow back. Moses parted the Red Sea, fed 600000 people in a desert with Manna from heaven, saw the ground open to swallow his enemies and split rocks to reveal water by the grace of God. Muhammad is not in these guys leagues by any stretch of the imagination. Both of these people are affirmed in the Quran but there is no anticipation in scripture of Muhammad.

It is not just the absence of signs , Jesus also abstained at times because he understood that peoples hearts were too hard to receive the message he was sharing. It is that Muhammads message itself does not integrate with what came before it and does not testify to the same God as the earlier prophets revealed and most importantly has no proper understanding of who Jesus was. Also prophets tended to predict things while Muhammad did not do that. Jesus predicted the fall of Jerusalem and the devastation that would come with that, that is prophecy. Muhammad seems to threaten people with hellfire if they do not accept him for who he says he is and if they step out of line on a basic moral code. But he himself violates that code with sex slaves, underaged sex, genocide of opponents and lies.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That is not a biblical understanding of a prophet

Since we're talking about the Qur'an and not the Bible, why does that matter?

I guess I don't understand the point of this thread. Yes, Muhammad does not fit the Biblical model of a prophet. That's why he isn't considered one in Christianity or Judaism.

End of thread...?

Upvote 0

Limo

Nov 15, 2015
✟42,975.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Muhammed performed no wonders, made no predictive prophecies
I was wondering, ignorant should feel shame but rudely repeats false claims.
Prophet Mohamed peace be upon him did many oracles.
Propheces in Quran and Hadeeths are documented in books.
and told those who asked for such things he was only sent to warn. On occasions e.g. with the Satanic verses he repeated the words of Satan, though he later repented of these words affirming various Meccan idols.

So why do Muslims regard him as a prophet? That is not even something he claimed for himself

"And they say: Why are not signs sent down upon him from his Lord? Say: The signs are only with Allah, and I am only a plain warner." (Sura 29:50)
This is for people like you who beleive that humans like Almasseh, if he did some oracles then can be called God or God the Son.
So, Allah says, even these oracles are from Allah not from the human

Allah said in Quran for people like, even if we give you all oracles, they'll never t beleive, Allah said, if I give you a house from gold and too much gold, those who their heart is "covers" will not beleive.
It's not the eyes which get blind but the hearts.
Also if he was a prophet how come his testimony contradicts that of the other prophets that came before him and indeed historical fact.
Which testimony contradicts with which Prophet ?
According to your Pauline Christianity Jesus Christ is not a prophet, you see him a God.
Whatever books you've are not connected to Almasseh, it's anymoumus books written after Almasseh by 40 years on the best guess.
Scribes have played a lot with even these anymoumus books.
He claims Jesus did not die on a cross but all scripture and indeed a great many other commentators can testify to this.
Who wrote these scriptures? Are they genuine? Are they historically relayable?
What about severe contradiction between the 4 gospels ?
Did you read the crucifixion story in parallel.
Open the 4 gospels all together and start recording the time, action, witnesses and sayings.
When your Jesus crusifixed before or after Passover?
Who entered the tomb first ?
Who was these in the tomb human or humans or angel or Angels?
What did the angel said to the witnesses?
Shall disciples meet Jesus in Galilee or in Jerusalem?
If you gather the answers to these questions in an excel, neutraly you should have a conclusion that it's a fabricated story

He gives testimony that Gabriel told him that Jesus was not the Son of God when the previous testimony affirms that he was indeed Emmanuel (God with us) born of a virgin.
Previous testimony, are you kidding?
Instead of chasing Moslems, why don't you ask Jews whom Almasseh was one of them and among them.
Forget prophet Mohamed for a while,
They're the owner of the Torah) previous testimony), why the didn't accept Jesus as a God?

Upvote 0

Limo

Nov 15, 2015
✟42,975.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married

As to whether a 'forth teller' is legit.. look for humility and consistency. These matters should be plainly apparent and not require sophisticated minds to translate inconsistencies into synthetic 'truth' that the masses are obliged to believe.
In Islam either Prophet or Messanger is one who is chosen from Allah to tell the people Allah's message

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Limo

Nov 15, 2015
✟42,975.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
But the moon is not split. Perhaps the desert heat can make a man see things that are not there. When Jesus did wonders 4000 people got fed, the blind could see, the deaf hear, demons were exorcised and people with incurable autoimmune diseases were cured. A man with a withered arm watched it grow back. Moses parted the Red Sea, fed 600000 people in a desert with Manna from heaven, saw the ground open to swallow his enemies and split rocks to reveal water by the grace of God. Muhammad is not in these guys leagues by any stretch of the imagination. Both of these people are affirmed in the Quran but there is no anticipation in scripture of Muhammad.

It is not just the absence of signs , Jesus also abstained at times because he understood that peoples hearts were too hard to receive the message he was sharing. It is that Muhammads message itself does not integrate with what came before it and does not testify to the same God as the earlier prophets revealed and most importantly has no proper understanding of who Jesus was. Also prophets tended to predict things while Muhammad did not do that. Jesus predicted the fall of Jerusalem and the devastation that would come with that, that is prophecy. Muhammad seems to threaten people with hellfire if they do not accept him for who he says he is and if they step out of line on a basic moral code. But he himself violates that code with sex slaves, underaged sex, genocide of opponents and lies.
Who have seen Jesus turns water to wine ?
Who has seen Jesus feeding these thousands 4000 ?
Who has seen Jesus healing the blind ?
Who has seen Jesus getting up in the tomb and going out from the tomb?

Did you see these wonders and signs?

Reactions: Yytz6
Upvote 0

Limo

Nov 15, 2015
✟42,975.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married

I guess I don't understand the point of this thread. Yes, Muhammad does not fit the Biblical model of a prophet. That's why he isn't considered one in Christianity or Judaism.

End of thread...?
Who cares about fulfilling the biblical model ?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Who have seen Jesus turns water to wine ?
Who has seen Jesus feeding these thousands 4000 ?
Who has seen Jesus healing the blind ?
Who has seen Jesus getting up in the tomb and going out from the tomb?

Did you see these wonders and signs?

The difference is that the claim about Muhammad splitting the moon is testable by looking at the moon, going to it, and seeing that it isn't cracked, and there's no evidence that it was ever cracked in Muhammad's time.

Whereas the miracles you've mentioned are not testable one way or another. It's not like you're going to find some guy now who says "Yes, I am the blind guy that Jesus healed 2,000 years ago", or evidence of some kind of 2,000 year old picnic basket from with the 5,000 were fed.

Who cares about fulfilling the biblical model ?

That's what I asked, knowing that Muslims do not care, since you hate the Bible and the Christian religion. The person I was responding to had written that Muhammad doesn't fulfill the Biblical understanding of a prophet, as though that means something in this context.

It's like saying that Jesus does not fulfill the Qur'anic concept of Allah. We don't care. The Qur'an is not our book, so it doesn't matter to us that it says something else.

Upvote 0

Limo

Nov 15, 2015
✟42,975.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
The difference is that the claim about Muhammad splitting the moon is testable by looking at the moon, going to it, and seeing that it isn't cracked, and there's no evidence that it was ever cracked in Muhammad's time.

Whereas the miracles you've mentioned are not testable one way or another. It's not like you're going to find some guy now who says "Yes, I am the blind guy that Jesus healed 2,000 years ago", or evidence of some kind of 2,000 year old picnic basket from with the 5,000 were fed.

That's what I asked, knowing that Muslims do not care, since you hate the Bible and the Christian religion. The person I was responding to had written that Muhammad doesn't fulfill the Biblical understanding of a prophet, as though that means something in this context.

It's like saying that Jesus does not fulfill the Qur'anic concept of Allah. We don't care. The Qur'an is not our book, so it doesn't matter to us that it says something else.
Exactly, I was waiting for such comments.
If Prophet Mohammed's oracles recorded in Quran, will it help to convince some one after hundreds of years to believe in Prophet?
It'll not, the don't say , Prophet Mohammed was not given oracles.
Prophet Mohamed has given alive Oracle the Quran that it's full of scientific signs and propheces. I know in advance that you'll not get convinced but Quran is full with scientific signs and propheces

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Now it's not even miracles that nobody can disprove (so, everything except the splitting of the moon idea), but now you're asserting "Scientific signs" in the Qu'ran?

Is that before or after the sun sets in a muddy pool? Hahahaha.

ده كلام اي كلام

(Nonsense.)

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
To whom who might be interested.
In this video a fresh doctor shares his study of the compliance of Torah, Gospels, and Qiran

To whom may be even more interested,

The bought and paid for doctor in this video is one Maurice Bucaille, a French gastrointerologist who was the personal physician of King Faisal and family in Saudi Arabia, as well as members of the family of Egyptian president Anwar Sadat.

If you think this close association with the heads of state of several Muslim-majority states of the Middle East and North Africa didn't influence the development of his approach to religion and his subsequent publications on the topic of Islam and science, then I've got some prime land to sell you in Mecca. Really good stuff, right next to the Kaaba and everything.

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Telling people about Dr. Bucaille's obvious conflict of interest in writing about how great and scientific Islam supposedly is is "not having anything to say"? Sure thing, guy. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure if a Christian in this thread had presented a video by someone who had been a Muslim before serving as the personal family physician for Billy Graham or another famous Christian preacher and then suddenly came out with a bunch of writing about how great Christianity is and how Muslims should all look to the Holy Bible as the most scientific, truthful, and authentic scripture ever, you and other Muslims would be noticing the obvious link between who they are working for and what they are saying.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

End of thread...?

Because it is a legitimate task for Christians and indeed to outline what a disappointment Muhammad is as a prophet compared to what they understand a prophet is. He makes no predictions that can be properly tested , he does not cohere with the testimony that all the prophets aligned themselves too, he is ignorant of basic biblical truthes. The Muslim hostility to Jewish reactions to Muhammad as prophet testifies how this is hardly a new thing either and was something that the Quran itself tried to address.

Upvote 0