Why Are You a Christian?

S

StupidUserName

It you look at the home page it says "christians only" at the top of the theology section. I don't know the reason for that stipulation, but I can easily guess. It is to stop this site degenerating into a slanging match like very many others on the internet. This one for instance:

Again, I interpreted the section to mean Christian Theology Only, not Christians only. The religious forum I come from allows people of all religions to post anywhere, so I assumed this would be the same - guess not.

Upvote 0
T

Tabletform

We all know that some Christians need the company of other Christians to reinforce what it is they believe, I don't because I know what I believe and for me other Christians only serve to confuse because I also know that very few of us believe the same things even when it comes to the basics.

Having Christian only sections is like openly admitting that some Christians beliefs are fragile and can easily be swayed and even changed by the wrong comments or words, it's like saying, they were talked into it so they can be talked out of it, but I'm just a cynic.

Upvote 0

nhoj

A work in progress
Feb 12, 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
✟15,480.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We all know that some Christians need the company of other Christians to reinforce what it is they believe, I don't because I know what I believe and for me other Christians only serve to confuse because I also know that very few of us believe the same things even when it comes to the basics.

Having Christian only sections is like openly admitting that some Christians beliefs are fragile and can easily be swayed and even changed by the wrong comments or words, it's like saying, they were talked into it so they can be talked out of it, but I'm just a cynic.

We do need "Christian only" sections. If you want serious answers to difficult or vexing issues, it doesn't help if you have a lot of ego driven non believers trying to show you how silly you are by being a believer.

A friend showed me an atheist forum that he frequents. The only area on the atheist forum where a Christian can post is an area called "Fantasy Island" and an introductory message you get explains why all the arguments you can raise have already been heard and dismissed.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Tabletform said:

General Apologetics was closed down for exactly that reason - the forum authorities were concerned it was doing more harm than good to the faith of readers and contributers.

Upvote 0
T

Tabletform

We do need "Christian only" sections. If you want serious answers to difficult or vexing issues, it doesn't help if you have a lot of ego driven non believers trying to show you how silly you are by being a believer.
I know we need a "Christian only" sections for the very reasons I have stated, and forgive me for saying but do you honestly think you will get "serious answers to difficult or vexing issues" from other Christians? each and every one of us has their own beliefs and ideas on how their Christianity should be read and applied, if your beliefs can be swayed and changed by other Christians at your age then your beliefs are at best hanging by a thread, change should only happen when we are young.

How are ego driven non believers any worse than ego driven believers? I know what I believe and I am the only one who can change what I believe, are you afraid that what you believe might not be true?

Non believers can only show you how silly you are for believing as you do if you already think you are silly for believing as you do, are you not standing on firm ground? is your faith not founded in truth?

There is nothing any believer or non believer can say to me that would make me change my mind, we already know that what we believe is not of this world because we believe in the supernatural, we believe in God and God is not of this world.

I do not believe in the power of prayer so I do not pray, the reasons why are many and varied, prayer asks us to believe in many contradictory things, I believe that God has a plan for us, I would not expect God to change his plans just because I asked him to, I wouldn't respect a God that changed everything just because someone asked him to, I think prayer is there for self comfort and can only do harm to the believer.

Is my way of looking at my religion different from yours? I very much suspect that it is, are you going to change and think like me? I very much doubt it.

If my God is real (and I believe that he is) he will know me inside out and will need no prompting from me to do what's best.

Upvote 0

nhoj

A work in progress
Feb 12, 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
✟15,480.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know we need a "Christian only" sections for the very reasons I have stated, and forgive me for saying but do you honestly think you will get "serious answers to difficult or vexing issues" from other Christians? each and every one of us has their own beliefs and ideas on how their Christianity should be read and applied, if your beliefs can be swayed and changed by other Christians at your age then your beliefs are at best hanging by a thread, change should only happen when we are young.

How are ego driven non believers any worse than ego driven believers? I know what I believe and I am the only one who can change what I believe, are you afraid that what you believe might not be true?

Non believers can only show you how silly you are for believing as you do if you already think you are silly for believing as you do, are you not standing on firm ground? is your faith not founded in truth?

There is nothing any believer or non believer can say to me that would make me change my mind, we already know that what we believe is not of this world because we believe in the supernatural, we believe in God and God is not of this world.

I do not believe in the power of prayer so I do not pray, the reasons why are many and varied, prayer asks us to believe in many contradictory things, I believe that God has a plan for us, I would not expect God to change his plans just because I asked him to, I wouldn't respect a God that changed everything just because someone asked him to, I think prayer is there for self comfort and can only do harm to the believer.

Is my way of looking at my religion different from yours? I very much suspect that it is, are you going to change and think like me? I very much doubt it.

If my God is real (and I believe that he is) he will know me inside out and will need no prompting from me to do what's best.

Time for me to turn the other cheek.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

If you doubt the wisdom of Christians only sections, go and spend some time on Yahoo Answers' Religion & Spirituality section. The web is full of sites with pi$$ taking atheists, and we don't need another one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CryptoLutheran

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman
Sep 13, 2010
Pacific Northwest
✟12,709.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But some of you just tell me that you believe, not WHY. For example:

Q: Why are you a Christian (why do you believe in Christianity)?
A: Because I believe Christianity.

What?

I'm asking WHY do you believe? Why do you have faith in Christ and the Bible and not something like Allah and the Quran?

I'm pretty sure being born and growing up in a Christian home played a large role, at least insofar as it established a basic foundation for my ultimate quest to discover what exactly I believe and why I believe it.

That quest started a little over a decade ago while I was still in high school, and it went through some interesting phases initially (at various points I flirted with Modalism and Messianic Judaism).

Before that however I had an experience which I found personally profound on many levels, something I could only describe then--as I would describe it now--as an encounter with Christ. I've had lots of experiences which I would describe as spiritual and/or mystical, moments of "aha!", moments of unexpected euphoria. Some of these I would probably chalk up to emotionalism or something of that nature, others I think probably were something more divine in nature. But none of these were like the experience I had when I was 16. It caught me completely off guard, there was very little emotionality about it, or that is, there was no specific "feeling" about it, there weren't any visions or voices or anything of that nature. The only way I can really describe it is as an encounter, and that it was Christ. It was the same who I had addressed prayers to since childhood, read about in my Bible, heard preached to me at church and my school.

That experience made Jesus real to me, and in many ways that experience still leaves me struggling for words to try and describe it--it's still in a big sense completely ineffable to me.

Up until that moment my Christianity had been something I took for granted, it was just who I was, what I had been raised with. I believed it because it's what I just happened to believe. But after that I wanted something more, a lot more, I wanted to follow that Jesus. I wanted to dedicate myself to following Him no matter what.

Years later and my want to follow Him has never lessened.

For all the hypocrisy, for all the irritating hateful, un-Christlike people in the Christian Church I am always, and totally, and completely compelled by Jesus--the Jesus I meet when I read the four Gospels.

I want to follow that Jesus, I want to believe what He said, I want to trust that He is true and real and so to that I am willing to fling myself in faith to trust in that Jesus and that this Christianity thing, as carried by Christians throughout history, is ultimately worth it. Not for heaven's reward or fear of hellfire; but for the sake of Jesus Christ Himself, because He's the treasure I long for.

It's not particularly rational why I follow Jesus, and I'm okay with that. Much of the absurdity, mystery and paradox of the Christian faith is what makes the whole thing exciting.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am a Christian because God made me so.

Ditto

"It was He who conditioned all that conditioned me in my early life. But then it was He also who conditioned everything that conditioned you in your early life. God, the God of Christianity, is the All-Conditioner!" - C. Van Til from "Why I Believe in God."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Ditto

"It was He who conditioned all that conditioned me in my early life. But then it was He also who conditioned everything that conditioned you in your early life. God, the God of Christianity, is the All-Conditioner!" - C. Van Til from "Why I Believe in God."

Why do you think God does not make some people Christian?

Upvote 0

stealthsparx

Aug 10, 2011
✟15,116.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not only does the historical, philosophical, and scientific evidence supports the existence of Christ as creator and savior of the world, but scripture directly corresponds to the reality that all humans experience here in this world today..To believe in Christ is to have the holy spirit take residence in ones heart and as a result produce fulfillment and completion in a believers life...Only Christ can do that in a holistic and historical sense..Thats why in him I trust..

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Not only does the historical, philosophical, and scientific evidence supports the existence of Christ as creator and savior of the world, but scripture directly corresponds to the reality that all humans experience here in this world today..To believe in Christ is to have the holy spirit take residence in ones heart and as a result produce fulfillment and completion in a believers life...Only Christ can do that in a holistic and historical sense..Thats why in him I trust..

Faith without love is worthless. 1 Cor 13:2

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why do you think God does not make some people Christian?

Good question, perhaps since you have a loving relationship with our inerrant Lord Jesus Christ, maybe if you ask Him, He will give you an answer. Other than the mysteries of the will of God, I do not have a satisfying answer to that question, it is a mystery to me.

Upvote 0