Why are we so afraid of spiritual gifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
One cannot help but read the New Testament and be amazed at the effect the Holy Spirit can have on the life of believer. I have often read Acts and marvelled at the work of God through those men 2000 years ago. His effect in their life is tangible, even when read today.

As believers in the risen Lord, we too are promised countless gifts and blessings from the Spirit, but i find myself so often simply turning away from them. I desire to empowered (for want of a better word) in the same way as those men, but i find myself retreating and instead favouring a 'humdrum' Christian existence.

Maybe it's the fact i'm an Englishman-unprepared to make a spectacle of myself. Favouring instead to float through life without causing too much fuss and bother.

So what is it about the gifts of the Spirit that do scare us so? Why do we so often reject our inheritance on this earth in order to live a life of nondescript Christianity?

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
TomUK said:
One cannot help but read the New Testament and be amazed at the effect the Holy Spirit can have on the life of believer. I have often read Acts and marvelled at the work of God through those men 2000 years ago. His effect in their life is tangible, even when read today.

As believers in the risen Lord, we too are promised countless gifts and blessings from the Spirit, but i find myself so often simply turning away from them. I desire to empowered (for want of a better word) in the same way as those men, but i find myself retreating and instead favouring a 'humdrum' Christian existence.

Maybe it's the fact i'm an Englishman-unprepared to make a spectacle of myself. Favouring instead to float through life without causing too much fuss and bother.

So what is it about the gifts of the Spirit that do scare us so? Why do we so often reject our inheritance on this earth in order to live a life of nondescript Christianity?

That is a wonderful question, Tom! I applaud your honesty, too. I think if more people were willing to openly recognise this, there could be progress made. Reminds me of something that Nelson Mandela once said - that it is not our darkness that we are afraid of, it is our light. Not exactly the same, but relates to our general sense of self-consciousness. I've especially noticed it here in the UK; the general culture is one which encourages us not to make any kind of 'show' of ourselves.

I think we are afraid because part of us doesn't want to trust fully or give ourselves fully to God. I also think that there is a more charitable side to the reason, in that we don't want to make others uncomfortable, or outshine them. But even though we think that is being charitable, is it God's will to dampen the Spirit?

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
karen freeinchristman said:
... Reminds me of something that Nelson Mandela once said - that it is not our darkness that we are afraid of, it is our light. ...

I like that

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
In a way, you have to put a bit of effort in to recognise them, especially if you are a typical self-effacing Brit.

We made a point of identifying and recognising our gifts within the group and it was a wonderful exercise, and really helped us in our various ministries.

I find a simple way of identifying a gift, is if you can only manage a particular situation if you pray about it first.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
AngCath said:
I think the biggest fear we have is that we might actually change the world and change scares us.

God will not give us anything to do that we can't cope with. :)

I think we are afraid of being sent to Africa, or something like that, but we have a whole string of young people in our church who go to Africa on their gap years to work for the church and they survive it!

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
AngCath said:
I think the biggest fear we have is that we might actually change the world and change scares us.
True.

Naomi said:
I think we are afraid of being sent to Africa, or something like that, but we have a whole string of young people in our church who go to Africa on their gap years to work for the church and they survive it!
Not only going to Africa, but even going to the next-door neighbours!
We have a huge mission field right here in England.

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
TomUK said:

Are you talking about speaking in tongues in particular? Because I see many spiritual gifts in the people in our church. But we don't speak in tongues. That is really a pretty minor gift and not really for public use unless on rare occasions when there is an "interpretor". Maybe people do it privately, I don't really know. but hospitality, mercy, administration, many many vibrant and important gifts are evident all of the time in my church. Without making a "spectacle" of ourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I always like to have these things to hand when we are talking about them:

1Corinthians 12:

7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

and 1 Corinthians 14:
1Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.
and...
12So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.
and...
22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.

Upvote 0

ChessCastle

O Most Holy Theotokos Pray for Us!
Sep 3, 2005
✟15,921.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Romans 12:
6 And having different gifts, according to the grace that is given us, either prophecy, to be used according to the rule of faith; 7 Or ministry, in ministering; or he that teacheth, in doctrine; 89 Let love be without dissimulation. Hating that which is evil, cleaving to that which is good. 10 Loving one another with the charity of brotherhood, with honour preventing one another. He that exhorteth, in exhorting; he that giveth, with simplicity; he that ruleth, with carefulness; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.
11 In carefulness not slothful. In spirit fervent. Serving the Lord. 121314 Bless them that persecute you: bless, and curse not. 15 Rejoice with them that rejoice; weep with them that weep.
16 Being of one mind one towards another. Not minding high things, but consenting to the humble. Be not wise in your own conceits. 1718 If it be possible, as much as is in you, have peace with all men. 19 Revenge not yourselves, my dearly beloved; but give place unto wrath, for it is written: Revenge is mine, I will repay, saith the Lord. 20 But if thy enemy be hungry, give him to eat; if he thirst, give him to drink. For, doing this, thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head. Rejoicing in hope. Patient in tribulation. Instant in prayer. Communicating to the necessities of the saints. Pursuing hospitality. To no man rendering evil for evil. Providing good things, not only in the sight of God, but also in the sight of all men.

I think some of the gifts just get more emphasis than others. Some of them are very simple, yet just as important as others.

Pax Christi
CC

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ChessCastle said:
I think some of the gifts just get more emphasis than others. Some of them are very simple, yet just as important as others.

This is true, CC, but I think that the OP was referring to the more powerful, mysterious, and awesome types of gifts, perhaps more obviously supernaturally derived. I am thinking this is the case because Tom's question is 'why are we so afraid of spiritual gifts?'.

The more 'simple' gifts are certainly very important, but we do tend not to recognise or pray earnestly for those other more complex gifts in ourselves.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Prophecy is one of the spiritual gifts that intrigues me the most.
I know lots of people think it means something like telling the future, but I have often heard it described as 'forth-telling', which gives the word a 'telling it like it is' kind of meaning. In Scripture, the prophets are often simply making known what God sees as the truth of current situations. Speaking up, speaking out truth, God's truth, about particular situations, people, or events.

I think some of us should put this gift into practice much more often, exercising it, and we need to do it without fear. We have to trust that God will not make fools of us. That doesn't mean that people will all agree with us, of course. The nature of our faith means that some will always turn away from truth.

And it is in this sense, TomUK, that you have already exercised the gift of prophecy to a certain extent, in asking the OP question, "Why are we so afraid of spiritual gifts?". "Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy."

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,617.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
prophecy sometimes involves fortelling, but in principle it is simply speaking as a messanger. A prophet is a messanger who does not speak his own words, but carries the words of God.

I would very much like to see the traditional churches begin to make room for the gifts again in their services. There are a number of reasons we don't see the gifts active, I believe. One is that many churches simply don't make room for them. Another is that people aren't trained to expect them or to make use of them when the Spirit offers them.

One of my personal inhibitions that always hindered me was fear of failure. That I would go to make use of a gift and find that I had acted on my own, making both myself and God look foolish.
That in turn was the result of the fact that I never had confidence that I could distinguish between God's voice and my mind.

sometimes we do over look some of the gifts as well though because we expect them to be flashy and mystical.. gifts like the word of wisdom have happened frequently in my life but its hard to see because it is like the "still small voice" and it usualy isn't accompanied by shaking, or warm sensations, or being knocked down, or any of the other things people mark as signs of power.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Simon_Templar said:
prophecy sometimes involves fortelling, but in principle it is simply speaking as a messanger. A prophet is a messanger who does not speak his own words, but carries the words of God.

I would very much like to see the traditional churches begin to make room for the gifts again in their services. There are a number of reasons we don't see the gifts active, I believe. One is that many churches simply don't make room for them. Another is that people aren't trained to expect them or to make use of them when the Spirit offers them.

One of my personal inhibitions that always hindered me was fear of failure. That I would go to make use of a gift and find that I had acted on my own, making both myself and God look foolish.
That in turn was the result of the fact that I never had confidence that I could distinguish between God's voice and my mind.

Good post, Simon. Truth and honesty! :)

Upvote 0

KatacrossthePond

Under Construction
Jun 4, 2004
North East England
✟1,667.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Simon_Templar said:

sometimes we do over look some of the gifts as well though because we expect them to be flashy and mystical.. gifts like the word of wisdom have happened frequently in my life but its hard to see because it is like the "still small voice" and it usualy isn't accompanied by shaking, or warm sensations, or being knocked down, or any of the other things people mark as signs of power.

Well said Simon. Couldn't say it better myself.

I am in training for ordination at a college in the Midlands (UK) and even here it seems difficult to find space in a service. We have managed to fill every bit of space up with liturgy and song and words and stuff. Sometimes I think God sits there and feels like saying "shut up so I can get a word in edgewise"... :holy:

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
KatacrossthePond said:
We have managed to fill every bit of space up with liturgy and song and words and stuff. Sometimes I think God sits there and feels like saying "shut up so I can get a word in edgewise"... :holy:

Important lesson in here! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
karen freeinchristman said:
Prophecy is one of the spiritual gifts that intrigues me the most.
I know lots of people think it means something like telling the future, but I have often heard it described as 'forth-telling', which gives the word a 'telling it like it is' kind of meaning. In Scripture, the prophets are often simply making known what God sees as the truth of current situations. Speaking up, speaking out truth, God's truth, about particular situations, people, or events.

I think some of us should put this gift into practice much more often, exercising it, and we need to do it without fear. We have to trust that God will not make fools of us. That doesn't mean that people will all agree with us, of course. The nature of our faith means that some will always turn away from truth.

And it is in this sense, TomUK, that you have already exercised the gift of prophecy to a certain extent, in asking the OP question, "Why are we so afraid of spiritual gifts?". "Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy."

Thank you very much for that. There's plenty of food for thought there!

Upvote 0

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I've PMed Father Rick to ask him to join this thread and tell us what his church does--I know that with him as pastor, they're likely to be very charismatic, and indeed I think he's mentioned about the use of the gifts in the space of their liturgy in the past.

Timothy

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.