Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
You are assuming that the default position of birth is atheism. I do not agree.

We are born into this world knowing nothing more than our needs, and desiring to be loved. At birth we have an urgent desire to feel whole again. We seek out and demand food and warmth. We find contentment in being cared for and loved.

These first faculties that we possess are the same ones that come into play when we search out and find our God.

I do not remember how I rejoiced the first time my mother held me close to her breast.. but I do know the glory of my baptism. It was a feeling of coming home.

God set me upon this Earth full of needs. Where there is a need, he also gave us a way to fill that need. I thirst and there is drink to satisfy my thirst. I hunger and there is food. I want to feel whole.. and there is God!

No, I may not have been a theist.. but I was far from an Atheist. I was but an empty vessel made to contain the love and spirit of God. I thank him every day for my life for giving me all that I need.

Reactions: dead2self
Upvote 0

dead2self

Christian Hedonist
Jun 3, 2008
Prince George, BC
✟10,094.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You are assuming that the default position of birth is atheism. I do not agree.

We are born into this world knowing nothing more than our needs, and desiring to be loved. At birth we have an urgent desire to feel whole again. We seek out and demand food and warmth. We find contentment in being cared for and loved.

These first faculties that we possess are the same ones that come into play when we search out and find our God.

I do not remember how I rejoiced the first time my mother held me close to her breast.. but I do know the glory of my baptism. It was a feeling of coming home.

God set me upon this Earth full of needs. Where there is a need, he also gave us a way to fill that need. I thirst and there is drink to satisfy my thirst. I hunger and there is food. I want to feel whole.. and there is God!

No, I may not have been a theist.. but I was far from an Atheist. I was but an empty vessel made to contain the love and spirit of God. I thank him every day for my life for giving me all that I need.

Amen.

Might I add that God not only reveals Himself in the Bible, but in nature as well. The heavens declare teh glory of God. We all are born knowing enough about God to be accountable. We simply supress the truth in unrighteousness, as Paul wrote in the book of Romans.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So if there is A God, Why are we born not knowing about him?

I am not so sure we do not know about God from birth.

Of course, a baby can not tell us things, but in Romans 1, the bible says that men suppress the knowledge of God by their wickedness (sin.)

I had no idea of God, no thoughts of God, no thoughts of eternity, no consideration that is of any of these things, religion, etc.

I came to Christ at 33.

Now, the bible (Romans 1) says I suppressed the knowledge of God by my wickedness (sin.)

For me to suppress it I had have some knowledge of God.

A child is born not knowing right from wrong, but they soon grow into knowing right from wrong and at some point start to willingly and knowingly do wrong. Wrong doing is sin. (And just to repeat Romans 1 says we suppress the knowledge of God by our sin.)

In my case I can think of three things which may account for why I had no thoughts of God, no knowledge of God, totally unaware of spiritual things, etc. (And I'm speaking of knowledge of God not faith in God.)

1) The demonic/satanic working to keep people in darkness by many means.

(All non believers in this state would be most assuredly unaware of this.)

2) The sins I did kept me from the knowledge of God.

As I never considered God etc., I'm not sure if this would be the right answer.

3) I had the knowledge of God as a child, but suppressed it by my sin. Of this I would be unaware.

This last one is the only one I can think is the answer.

I believe some suppress such at a young age, (I'm thinking 5, 6 or 7) in my case before my recollection and by my own doing awares or unawares. Either way, no recollection.

Some have conscious knowledge, and suppress such by their sin.

So, I do not believe we are born not having the knowledge of God.

And my basis for that is from Romans 1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The history of mankind disproves your premise.

Children in a kindergarten play yard disprove your premise.

A child doesn't (really) know (if) the person raising them is their parent until they are told or shown.

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If there is electricity, why are we born not knowing about it?
If ther is language, why are we born not knowing it?
If there are magnetic fields in the earth why are we born not knowing that?

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear TheKingOfImmortality. We are on Earth to learn to become as God wants us to be. Children of our Heavenly Father, who made us in His image, and who is waiting to spend eternity with Him. Our human body is Atheist, and we all are born with some of God`s Spirit inside us. We also have a Soul, which is impartial and ready to follow God`s Spirit to life with God again, OR follow the body, to stay earthbound. As we gow older, mature in our wishes to choose what we like best, there is a chance the Atheist will change into the person, God wants us to be. The Bible, God`s Word to Man, will help us to start with, and then the Love of God will either win and lead all the way, or other factors seem to win for a time. The choice is ours, KingOfImmortality. I say this humbly and kindly. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
A newborn baby cannot think in abstract terms, let alone articulate those, but (assuming they are healthy) they are set-up to form a relationship with mum - their eyes even focus at precisely the right distance to form eye-contact when breastfeeding. There is no reason for supposing the same isn't true for their relationship with the creator God.

As they grow up they gradually learn how to conceptualise and articulate that relationship, and the same is true of their relationship with God, but to claim that a newborn cannot know God because they cannot articulate that would be as unfounded as to say they don't have a relationship with mum and dad because they cannot articulate that.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If there is electricity, why are we born not knowing about it?
If ther is language, why are we born not knowing it?
If there are magnetic fields in the earth why are we born not knowing that?

An excellent point. The line of reasoning, "we aren't born knowing it, therefore it doesn't exist" is demonstrably flawed logic. The Bible, however, declares (as has already been stated) that God's eternal power and attributes can be known through nature itself. The Bible also states that the Gospel of Jesus Christ cannot be known except by special revelation. Everyone believes in God, but belief in the existence of God doesn't save anyone. Only faith in Jesus Christ, which implies rejection of other religions and gods, can save a person.

well when we are born we immediately feel the need for love.
isn't god love?

Yes, God is love. This is in Scripture:
So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. (1 John 4:16)
However it's important to understand this in the context of Scripture, since it has been severely perverted in American culture. Every pagan and other non-Christian believes that "God is love." They translate this to mean, "if I'm a good person, God won't send me to hell for not believing in his Son Jesus Christ, and I can continue practicing my non-Christian religion faithfully." Therefore, know that the same Apostle who wrote "God is love" also wrote this in the same book,
Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also. (1 John 2:22-23)
One cannot practice a non-Christian religion and rightly claim to know the love of God! This thread is about atheism, and smacks of the idea that atheism is the only form of sinful unbelief found in the world. I want to unequivocally communicate that believing in God is worthless if it is not accompanied by a belief in Jesus Christ, the only Son of God. Theistic Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, pagans, Bahais, and followers of any theistic non-Christian religion you can think of, do not know the love of God. I say this humbly as a person who at one point also did not know the love of God (as is true of all Christians). Please do not misunderstand "God is love" to mean that God's love is cheap. It came at a cost, namely the blood of Jesus Christ, who was crucified for our sins and raised for our justification. The love of God is not cheap, but it is free, and it is freely offered to all who turn away from false religions and gods to faith in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0