Why are there some Priests that seem to be compromising in the Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kisstheson

Contributor
Aug 6, 2005
✟14,639.00
Faith
Christian
Somehow you know the majority of the priests in the Church? Neat---you must have traveled so very much of the world--or even a huge portion of the country in which you live!

But what priest could live up to motorcycle, leather jacket Jesus?
I'm talking about what happend at notre dame yesterday.

and yeah...they could use some "get tough" lessons from motorcycle, leather clad Jesus and a few tattoos to boot. :cool::p

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think we should pray for the priests. The devil likes to attack the Church by going after the priests, cause that discourages the faithful and leads others astray.

However, there are MANY great priests as well :) I've met some of them. They're really orthodox and aren't afraid to be unpopular either.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think we should pray for the priests. The devil likes to attack the Church by going after the priests, cause that discourages the faithful and leads others astray.

However, there are MANY great priests as well :) I've met some of them. They're really orthodox and aren't afraid to be unpopular either.

Indeed! There are many good and orthodox priests out there. :) I know a few myself. :) The priest of my home parish is a very orthodox priest who isn't afraid to speak up on the tough issues. :thumbsup:

Reactions: MoNiCa4316
Upvote 0

CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, what was up with him????

i was like, are you kidding me??

But why you ask?

It's a strategy of the enemy- lovy- dovy- benign priests who want to "make love, not war."

But the problem is they are being soft on evil under the guise of charity.

it's false charity, pseudo charity. Not charity at all. It's the enemy attacking the Church.

as the old saying goes, we do not have to worry about those on the outside bringing us down, we have plenty with in who is trying to bring us down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Somehow you know the majority of the priests in the Church? Neat---you must have traveled so very much of the world--or even a huge portion of the country in which you live!

But what priest could live up to motorcycle, leather jacket Jesus?

Shannon, she does have valid complaint- wimpy (liberal) priests are a problem in the Church

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
And why was there only forty protesters at Note Dame yesterday? Well I heard that was the number that was arrested. I wonder, how many priests were there?

I recently found out that bishops wear red symbolic for the martyrs in the church.

Yes, where will they stand when they are called to the crown of martyrdom?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps the priests in question simply have a balanced view of their faith, rather than being politically motivated conservative ideologues.

What does that mean? What is 'balanced"? I thought the majesterium was what it is. Could you explain to us outside the faith, how we "balance" what I read from Rome? Having been raised a Unitarian and studied for its mininstry, theological terms are OK by me. I understand the lingo.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟448,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I wish I had an orthodox priest friend. :sigh:
Most of the priests here are 'too soft' BUT I LOVE our new Deacon. :thumbsup:
The most orthodox priest - died of cancer about 5 years ago.
'He went home.'
And when i mention him i always accidentally call him 'St John'...
He wasn't afraid of hurting feelings... he hit the nail on the head.

I miss him.

I REALLY MISS PADRE PIO - NOW HE WAS TOUGH ON SIN because of his love.

Reactions: JoabAnias
Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why does someone always start chanting about Catholics being anti-liberal or arch-conservative and all that crap. Sure, there might be a significant number of persons that would fall away from the Church were the Democrats to honestly take up a position of defending innocent life, but you can't use their position on abortion, and its defense of your right, and their right to life, as first priority, and primary focus to cause you to equate them with conservatives. Indeed Catholics countries can be quite liberal with their non-people slaughtering social policies...

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What does that mean? What is 'balanced"? I thought the majesterium was what it is. Could you explain to us outside the faith, how we "balance" what I read from Rome? Having been raised a Unitarian and studied for its mininstry, theological terms are OK by me. I understand the lingo.

I wouldn't have pegged you for a former Unitarian theological candidate. :) I've been to some UU services in the past and they didn't seem like something that would be your thing. :)

Catholicism is it's essence is a a synergistic religion, "et et" in Latin, translated roughly as "both/and" in English. It generally isn't prone to overly simplistic one dimensional approaches to things. Before people jump down my throat and tell me I am wrong, I should note that I got the bulk of that first sentence from Pope Benedict. :)

There are some corners of the Catholic Church that have started to see things in a very simplistic way that lacks nuance and equates Catholicism with a one-dimensional philosophy, conservativism, and makes abortion an overarching issue that trumps, literally, everything else. Now, there's no question that abortion is an important issue in a Catholic context. However, there are other Catholic principles like prudential judgement that come into play when we're talking about voting for political candidates versus some sort of a referendum on a single issue. In a political context, one has to consider all of the issues as a whole, and also how likely each issue is to be something that real change can be accomplished on one way or the other. Catholics are not single-issue voters, and Catholics are open to dialogue.

Lately, it seems as though some corners of the Church have gotten themselves wrapped up into an approach that resembles a cross between fundamentalist Protestantism and political conservatism, which is not really in keeping with what the Church has historically stood for. Interestingly, this movement has arisen percisely as the old wave of Irish, Italian, and Polish immigrants have become more and more assimilated and entrenched in society, losing their cultural distinctiveness. I don't think that's entirely a coincidence.

So, when I say, balanced view, I mean someone who understands things not through the lense of being a particular political ideology or a particular nationality, or through a narrow lense centered upon a single issue, but who understands the broader scope of history, the world, Catholic theology, and what it means to be living in a fallen world and have to make difficult judgments with shades of gray. A balanced person appreciates complexity, and the individual nature of conscinece. A balanced person seeks dialogue, peace, and understanding across ideological divides.

Some of these new-line fundamentalist conservative political ideologues seem to lack that balance. Sometimes balance can also be lacking on the other side as well, of course, but I see that less often. It's not that there weren't plenty of Catholic conservatives in years past, too, but they were a different breed, more moderate and more balanced, were really understood theology, if not on a deeper level, at least in a more balanced way. Some conservatives today (though not all) seem to be practicing a form of Catholicism that is not quite recognizable to me, very influenced by American conservative culture, and very simplistic, without the nuance.

One can also see pretty clearly below the surface that some of these movements don't acknowledge or acknowledge only in a very superficial reluctant way, the Catholic teachings that are more liberal, on issues like torture, just war, capital punishment, the goverment's responsibility to the poor, the right to health care, and so forth. And when one see's that, and the way some are so adament about abortion and use even small things as a test of orthodoxy, not even accepting pro-life people as pro-life enough, yet openly dissent on any Church teaching that is even remotely liberal, one begins to realize that it is really conservativism that is the ultimate overriding philosophy that's in play there, rather than simply a generic Catholicism or Chrsitianity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anglian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟448,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Church is the Teacher.
She doesn't leave anyone to use guess work.
Altho not simplistic - because the Lord is not simplistic - she is not a mystery either in what she teaches.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Church is the Teacher.
She doesn't leave anyone to use guess work.
Altho not simplistic...

I would say not!....a life isn't enough. But enough, I think for the basics. A respect for life among the basics.

Upvote 0

Joachim

The flag is a protest for state flags
Jan 14, 2009
Bob Riley is my governor
✟17,703.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm talking about what happend at notre dame yesterday.

and yeah...they could use some "get tough" lessons from motorcycle, leather clad Jesus and a few tattoos to boot. :cool::p

I suppose that this biker Jesus should also be wearing a rebel flag bandana, smoking Marlboro Reds and listening to Molly Hatchet?

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually - it's all black and white and very very little grey area.
I disagree. There are basic principals that are black and white. There are rights that are black and white. For long period of European history, society was ordered in a more basically right way, though the enforcement strength was sketchy, and the temptation to abuse the situation was too much for the Church to stand, at least at around the time of Galileo, when buying the Church, unfortunately, caused massive division.

However, in many situations, there are 'ways' that one can choose. There are ways in which people can be treated, good, bad, and neutral. There are laws that can be used to create oppression, permissiveness, or basic order in society. Discerning this path is arduous, and we must not lose faith simply because the way is difficult, the conversations and realities dramatic and tough, or because standing up for what is right is unpopular.

The truth is that there is a great deal of freedom and liberty within the Church.

Wimpy priests can be a result of obedience or fear. I haven't known any. I have heard sermons that I would have thought would have sent people away and not seen any leave.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.