Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let's put it this way. A lot of Catholics are starting to feel isolated and disaffected by the Church due to the myriad of scandals that are ongoing, the failure of unification at local parishes and the lack of community. Especially for younger people, they feel like there is no place for them but I think this has been a problem of the Christian Church at large, where they feel a gap from high school graduation up until they marry.

I see it as a personal responsibility as a layperson to be educating my peers. That's why I am so adamant about setting a good example and why I struggled (not in vain) to have my husband see my views on why we should be more adherent with teaching and why the Church is going to need that kind of unity. The reason for the nastiness isn't due to nasty people, but the lack of unity.

It is an ironic observation to see how parishes were once the stronghold of community ties and now they're just regular churches that get together mostly for seasonal events.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
The nastiest Catholics I know post online. The nastiest of the nasty are the ones that make a statement on moral teaching with no context or individual spiritual direction, lacking charity in regard to individual persons who may be struggling with the issue, and speak with matter-of-fact authority on such a level as if speaking personally on behalf of parish priests, or at worst the Pope. They lack bedside manner and compassion for their fellow members of the Body of Christ.

That said, not all my online Catholic colleagues act this way, and they are to be commended. In conjunction, the Catholics I know in person are some of the most liberal, loving, compassionate people that I know, and they are the actual ones who drew me into the Catholic Church, as opposed to their online doppelgangers, who have so far achieved the opposite, even when speaking an identical message.

The moral of the story, kids, is not to post online if you're considering converting. If you want to learn more about the Catholic Church and its people, do the right thing and visit your local parish. You will most likely not regret it.

Upvote 0

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholics online CAN be pretty nasty. A lot of "holier than thou," "not rad traddy enough" or some other nonsense. Honestly. There is a reason why I no longer frequent as many Catholic online forums. You know it's a bad day when attempting to make fellowship with other Catholic women about head coverings-- coming to a theological agreement-- when someone thinks they are more Catholic than the Pope and tells everyone off for not taking their submissiveness seriously enough. Sometimes I just want to say get a life.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholics online CAN be pretty nasty. A lot of "holier than thou," "not rad traddy enough" or some other nonsense. Honestly. There is a reason why I no longer frequent as many Catholic online forums. You know it's a bad day when attempting to make fellowship with other Catholic women about head coverings-- coming to a theological agreement-- when someone thinks they are more Catholic than the Pope and tells everyone off for not taking their submissiveness seriously enough. Sometimes I just want to say get a life.
Does this mean you will not be interested in the vintage mantillas I find at Catholic estates? :p ;)

Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I think deep down all of us are genuinely nice people.

Cultural differences, ethnic backgrounds, up-bringing, experiences all do contribute to how we perceive the world.

I have learnt not to take anyone too seriously and just laugh it off.

And, if we were all perfect, we will be in heaven.

Jesus taught, forgive and love one another as I love you.

If the world did what Jesus taught for just one day, that would bring peace.

Jesus is peace. I love Him so much:p

Nope, I do not want to join the religious order :D

I know all the Catholics in OBOB mean well. I genuinely believe it.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
It's the online anonymity thing. Faith based websites are not immune from people spouting whatever, whenever. It's always different when people communicate in person.

With me?

...You'd probably just get more profanities.

But the RCC is supposed to be the most united Church ever. In line with the magisterium & everything. Protestants don't.

Care to elaborate on the Protestants? Or the Gnostics? Or the Great Schism?

You've got people who are ignorant - whether willfully or not - of certain Church teachings, you've got people who want to view the Church with their own little shades and to stroke their little vanities, you've got people who battle with sin which can also affect people around them, you've got those who supplant the Church and her teachings with something else....

We've turned the Church into a powder keg. As much as I would like to think Catholics - and Christians in general - around the world are joining in hands and singing "Hosanna," reality provides us with a different picture.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's the online anonymity thing. Faith based websites are not immune from people spouting whatever, whenever. It's always different when people communicate in person.

With me?

...You'd probably just get more profanities.

Care to elaborate on the Protestants? Or the Gnostics? Or the Great Schism?

You've got people who are ignorant - whether willfully or not - of certain Church teachings, you've got people who want to view the Church with their own little shades and to stroke their little vanities, you've got people who battle with sin which can also affect people around them, you've got those who supplant the Church and her teachings with something else....

We've turned the Church into a powder keg. As much as I would like to think Catholics - and Christians in general - around the world are joining in hands and singing "Hosanna," reality provides us with a different picture.
I'll comment later this evening. I'm getting ready to leave for Mass. I'll be back. :wave:

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Caedmon said:
The nastiest Catholics I know post online. The nastiest of the nasty are the ones that make a statement on moral teaching with no context or individual spiritual direction, lacking charity in regard to individual persons who may be struggling with the issue, and speak with matter-of-fact authority on such a level as if speaking personally on behalf of parish priests, or at worst the Pope. They lack bedside manner and compassion for their fellow members of the Body of Christ. That said, not all my online Catholic colleagues act this way, and they are to be commended. In conjunction, the Catholics I know in person are some of the most liberal, loving, compassionate people that I know, and they are the actual ones who drew me into the Catholic Church, as opposed to their online doppelgangers, who have so far achieved the opposite, even when speaking an identical message. The moral of the story, kids, is not to post online if you're considering converting. If you want to learn more about the Catholic Church and its people, do the right thing and visit your local parish. You will most likely not regret it.
Sadly, most of us forget that what is said here is said loudly in public, and so reflects (for good or ill) on the faith professed.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
freezerman2000 said:
Anyway,I was just pointing out the RCC isn't alone in this..
" This is how everyone will know that you are my disciples, when you are no more hateful than the rest"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does this mean you will not be interested in the vintage mantillas I find at Catholic estates? :p ;)

In a great ironic twist, it was that sort of talk that made Mr. High And Mighty lecture us about not being submissive enough. :doh:

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a great ironic twist, it was that sort of talk that made Mr. High And Mighty lecture us about not being submissive enough. :doh:
He couldn't take a joke huh? No fun.

Seriously though, I do rescue that type of thing from estates even though I do not wear them myself & send them to those that do. I just don't feel called to wear one.

Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Catholics are human beings too, not angels ;):D:p

Sometimes I am like this ^_^

:confused:

:o

:angel:

:sorry:

:hug:

and, not cool, silly & might say the wrong things at the wrong times, and all these even though I am trying my best to show I care, I can get yelled etc ...

Do what Jesus do? Forgive.

:idea: right, I am out of here

:o:p:yum:

just teasing, being silly, just finished work, so ... time to be me

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
" This is how everyone will know that you are my disciples, when you are no more hateful than the rest"

Fantabulous post! I don't think Cathics online are nasty, but I don't think very many of us are harsher critics of ourselves that we are to others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think Catholics are any meaner than any other religion - I've been on both sides. Catholics are just taught from cradle to grave on what to believe and what to do. Protestants are taught to be open to the leading of the Holy Spirit. One size fits all does not fit - what the Holy Spirit may have for one to do will not fit what another is to do. Therefore it looks like the Protestants don't follow any certain rule of one size fits all. The Bible is the top rule for Protestants and Catholics seem to lean to what the Pope decides is right or wrong - that is how they are taught - so they fiercely defend their beliefs. I know I married a Catholic - 55 years the 29th. The one thing that solved all our discussions was Bible study - My husband reads and we discuss and seek research on what we do not understand. What comes off as mean is just their training kicking in.

Upvote 0

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The internet can make people respond more negatively and harshly than they would if they said what they did in real life. I consider myself a rather blunt and even abrasive person when I say what's on my mind but IRL people are able to get over it as in, it's my opinion. I don't see any need to make further digs, and it's online where you see that kind of behavior.

People throw logic out the window online in ways where they'd be asked if they had a mental disorder if they did IRL. I remember, I made the mistake of trying to explain Catholic theology regarding marriage and contraception to nonCatholics and nonbelievers, only to have them continually dismiss what I was saying. Yet they kept digging away, all while I was explaining to them that there is a reason for the beliefs Catholics have and it has to do with what we believe about marriage! Nope, it went around in circles. I know if that same conversation came out IRL it wouldn't have gone that way at all. There's a reason why I limit my time on online boards. It gets too frustrating and depressing and it's always more fun to argue with people in person anyway :)

Upvote 0