Who will inherit the kingdom of God (salvation)?

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 7:21 "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."

There is a required "doing", obedient works in doing God's will that's necessary before one can enter the kingdom of heaven.

That verse says nothing about "doing" obedient works, but specifically states "doing" the will of the Father. John 6:39-40 tells us exactly what the will of the Father is, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in Him has eternal life, will never be lost, and will be raised up on the last day.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 7:21 "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."

There is a required "doing", obedient works in doing God's will that's necessary before one can enter the kingdom of heaven.

This verse is simply saying in other words 'by their fruit you will know them' - that is, God's work and character will be evidenced in the lives of the saved. It is His spirit within that does this - not our effort. It is also saying that self piety has no eternal value.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That verse says nothing about "doing" obedient works, but specifically states "doing" the will of the Father. John 6:39-40 tells us exactly what the will of the Father is, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in Him has eternal life, will never be lost, and will be raised up on the last day.

Doing the will of the Father is obedience. Therefore doing is necessary to be saved. Since belief is necessary to salvation belief is doing and not just a simple acknowledgement of facts.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This verse is simply saying in other words 'by their fruit you will know them' - that is, God's work and character will be evidenced in the lives of the saved. It is His spirit within that does this - not our effort. It is also saying that self piety has no eternal value.
I am speaking of verse 21 that requires 'doing' the will of the Father to enter the kingdom of heaven.
No obedience works = no entering the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 10:27-28 "And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live
."

A required 'doing' to live (spiritually).

Luke 6:46 "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?"

Again, 'doing' is required for Jesus to be one's Lord.

Matthew 12:50 "For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother."
Luke 8:21 "And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it."
John 14:15 "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you."

"Doing' is required to be a brotherfriend of Christ.

Matthew 7:24 "Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:"

The wise 'doeth' the sayings of CHrist.

John 3:21 "But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

"Doing' truth is required to come to the light.

1 John 3:10 "In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother."

'Doing' righteousness is required to be of God.

Simply put, a 'doing' is required to be saved.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Doing the will of the Father is obedience. Therefore doing is necessary to be saved. Since belief is necessary to salvation belief is doing and not just a simple acknowledgement of facts.

What verse says the will of the Father is obedience in works?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am speaking of verse 21 that requires 'doing' the will of the Father to enter the kingdom of heaven.
No obedience works = no entering the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 10:27-28 "And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live
."

A required 'doing' to live (spiritually).

Luke 6:46 "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?"

Again, 'doing' is required for Jesus to be one's Lord.

Matthew 12:50 "For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother."
Luke 8:21 "And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it."
John 14:15 "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you."

"Doing' is required to be a brotherfriend of Christ.

Matthew 7:24 "Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:"

The wise 'doeth' the sayings of CHrist.

John 3:21 "But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

"Doing' truth is required to come to the light.

1 John 3:10 "In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother."

'Doing' righteousness is required to be of God.

Simply put, a 'doing' is required to be saved.

Anyone truely saved becomes indwelled by Him and is given the desires to obey His will and empowered to walk in the work prepared beforehand. The reason it has to be all of Him is to completely eliminate pride.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What verse says the will of the Father is obedience in works?
If doing God's will is not obedience then what is it?

Heb 11:8 "By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went."

If Abraham doing God's will in leaving his land, home and kindred was not obedience then what was it? The verse says Abraham "obeyed".

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Anyone truely saved becomes indwelled by Him and is given the desires to obey His will and empowered to walk in the work prepared beforehand. The reason it has to be all of Him is to completely eliminate pride.
Obedience to God's will comes BEFORE salvation. I've not seen anyone on this forum show how a person is saved/justified while he remains disobedient, defiant to the will of God.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
If doing God's will is not obedience then what is it?

Jesus tells us plainly and exactly what the will of the Father is. It's what I quoted originally...
John 6:39-40, everyone who looks on the Son and believes in Him has eternal life, will never be lost, and will be raised up on the last day.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obedience to God's will comes BEFORE salvation. I've not seen anyone on this forum show how a person is saved/justified while he remains disobedient, defiant to the will of God.
While we were yet sinners Christ died for us...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
He who overcomes shall inherit all things,
and I will be his God and he shall be My son.
BUT the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:7-8)

Overcomers inherit all things,
including the kingdom of heaven.

BUT …
everyone else does NOT inherit the kingdom of heaven!
Some examples of these poor people (losers actually):
the cowardly … will be explained (if asked to)
the unbelieving … non-believers (obviously)
habitual sinners … everyone living the sinning lifestyle (without repentance)

Jesus defines overcomers here …
To him who overcomes I will
grant to sit with Me on My throne,
as I also overcame and sat down
with My Father on His throne.”
(Revelation 3:21)

When John talks about “the world”, he almost
always referred to the world of non-believers!

1 John 5:5 describes believers who only
“overcome the world” of non-believers.
That is, these believers have “overcome”
the terrible future of non-believers.

The unrighteous are NOT overcomers
and they are described below >>>>>>>

“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves,
nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners (none of them) will inherit the kingdom of God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

“What is our (the righteous) inheritance in the
kingdom of God? Salvation – eternal life.”

(The Applied New Testament Commentary, 1996,
Thomas Hale, medical doctor and Spirit-filled missionary)

“Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19-21)
“He who knowingly continues in sin without repenting will not inherit the kingdom of God -- that is, he will not be saved.” (The Applied New Testament Commentary)

“But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, (none of them) has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.” (Ephesians 5:3-6)

“Certainly we believers must not engage in such evildoing, or we shall risk losing our own inheritance in heaven.” (The Applied New Testament Commentary)

Then, there is the famous ending to Matthew 25,
where Jesus compares the righteous on His right hand who did good deeds for the needy … with …
the unrighteous on His left hand
who did NOT do good deeds for the needy:

Matthew 25:34
“Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father,

inherit the kingdom prepared for you
from the foundation of the world …”
Matthew 25:41
Then the King will turn to those on the left
and say, ‘Away with you, you cursed ones,
into the eternal fire prepared for the devil
and his demons.
Matthew 25:46

“And they (the unrighteous) will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life.
1John 5:4 "everyone born of God overcomes the world."

1John 3:9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother.

Don't confuse Cause with Effect else you end up with salvation by works, as in Catholicism

If anyone says that the justice received is not preserved and also not increased before God through good works, but that those works are merely the fruits and signs of justification obtained, but not the cause of its increase, LET HIM BE ANATHEMA" (Canons Concerning Justification, Canon 24). Council of Trent

Catechism of the Catholic Church - The Ten Commandments
The Council of Trent teaches that the Ten Commandments are obligatory for Christians and that the justified man is still bound to keep them; the Second Vatican Council confirms: "The bishops, successors of the apostles, receive from the Lord . . . the mission of teaching all peoples, and of preaching the Gospel to every creature, so that all men may attain salvation through faith, Baptism and the observance of the Commandments.

Upvote 0