Who should tell Congress they have to go?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Back when Nixon went through the Nixon ordeal he tried to cling to power til the bitter end. I think it was Barry Goldwater and someone else went to Nixon and told him that he could no longer be president, quite frankly, because no one took him seriously anymore.

The Salem witch trials ended for pretty much the same reason. People became so annoyed by the accusations that eventually they began to simply ignore them.

A while back during some congressional hearings of some sort the Congress issued a number of subpoenas to the Justice Department and the Justice Department didn't comply with them. They simply ignored them.

We now have yet another round of congressional subpoenas being sent out and I have an idea that no one is going to take them seriously.

Who will it be that tells the Congress that if they keep this up they will also lose their authority when more and more people become so annoyed by this they no longer take the Congress seriously?

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Congress can't lose their authority without a constitutional amendment to change the basic structure of the federal government. That ain't gonna happen.

The only thing we can do to correct Congress is to vote for better representatives and senators.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The only thing we can do to correct Congress is to vote for better representatives and senators.
Replaced by more like-minded. These people do not collaborate, they are a species of humans who cannot act in any other way.

• Agree
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The American public voted for change in 1994, 2006, 2010 (bigly), 2014 and 2018. They didn't really get the change for which they voted (although fair enough, 2018 is still too new to rate).

Change remains elusive. We seem to keep getting variations on the same policies no matter who we elect.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Back when Nixon went through the Nixon ordeal he tried to cling to power til the bitter end. I think it was Barry Goldwater and someone else went to Nixon and told him that he could no longer be president, quite frankly, because no one took him seriously anymore.

The Salem witch trials ended for pretty much the same reason. People became so annoyed by the accusations that eventually they began to simply ignore them.

A while back during some congressional hearings of some sort the Congress issued a number of subpoenas to the Justice Department and the Justice Department didn't comply with them. They simply ignored them.

We now have yet another round of congressional subpoenas being sent out and I have an idea that no one is going to take them seriously.
Congressional oversight is their duty. If they don't issue subpoenas and hold hearings, why would you take them seriously?

Who will it be that tells the Congress that if they keep this up they will also lose their authority when more and more people become so annoyed by this they no longer take the Congress seriously?
I don't remember you complaining about the umpteen Benghazi hearings - that each reached the same conclusions.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Congressional oversight is their duty. If they don't issue subpoenas and hold hearings, why would you take them seriously?

I don't remember you complaining about the umpteen Benghazi hearings - that each reached the same conclusions.

That's only because I wasn't a member of this forum during the Benghazi hearings. Neither does anyone here remember me commenting on the general sense of partisan stupidity surrounding Obama's birth certificate.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's only because I wasn't a member of this forum during the Benghazi hearings. Neither does anyone here remember me commenting on the general sense of partisan stupidity surrounding Obama's birth certificate.
Hearings are an essential part of Congress' duties. Some are more well conducted than others; some are downright fascinating, but most are not. C-SPAN is full of them. I found Henry Waxman less show-boaty than most.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hearings are an essential part of Congress' duties. Some are more well conducted than others; some are downright fascinating, but most are not. C-SPAN is full of them. I found Henry Waxman less show-boaty than most.

I take it you didn't see Waxman (a former smoker) questioning the tobacco executives.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Convention of the States!
Hahaha.
Yes, let’s open a Constitutional Convention!
Surely now is the time to do so, with a President that tends to gravitate toward autocracy and power-gathering, this would be just the thing to do: fiddle with the innards of our Republic!

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hahaha.
Yes, let’s open a Constitutional Convention!
Surely now is the time to do so, with a President that tends to gravitate toward autocracy and power-gathering, this would be just the thing to do: fiddle with the innards of our Republic!

There's plenty of traction underway: Latest on COS - COSAction

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Too late, republic was traded for empire long time ago

Sure, the only question is “when?”
The seeds had been sown by 1917, surely, but the fruit didn’t appear until the 1960’s.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For a minute there I thought you had the wrong title. Who is the Barry Goldwater of the Republican Party today?

For two years the GOP shirked it's oversight duties. The reaction by the Democrats may be too broad, but I lay some of that at the feet of a GOP congress that refused to perform it's Constitutional duty.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0