Who Made This Statement re Joseph Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟221,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lets see, Nicene Creed with hundreds of leaders trying to decide what they believe versus God revealed restorational doctrines. I think you are really straining at a knat and will swallow and camel over this one.
No gnats here. One is strictly Biblical (Nicene) and one is strictly made up (AoF), at least half of which is unBiblical.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OK--now can you list the rest of your believes??
When is it that all the rest of it comes to light? Do I have to take it a question at a time? You all can't just state what your believes are?
Like God's History and origin
Who is Satan
Where was the Garden of Eden
what happens after death
the conception of Christ
Even one question?--no lengthy explanation needed, just the basics not the why it's believed, just the believe? The above doctrine states that the BOM is also the word of God--so that means everything in it is doctrinal and to be believed--right??
There is nothing in our doctrines from the canonized scriptures that indicate that God was once a man. There are statements from Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, john Taylor, and Lorenzo Snow who taught that our goal is to become like the Father because he was once as we were. It makes sense to me. Other than that we know nothing about the history of the Father.
The Garden of Eden was believed to be in Missouri. It was there before the splitting of the continents.
When we die there is a partial judgement. Those that were good honorable people will go to a place called paradise. Those that were evil will go to a place called spirit prison. When Christ was crucified while his body was in the tomb his spirit went to the spirit prison to bridge the gap between spirit prison and paradise so the preaching of the gospel could be done to those who had never heard of the gospel or rejected. Those in paradise that have never heard of Jesus but were good honorable people have had the gospel taught to them from the beginning. This way all will be able to be judged on equal playing ground. Every person that has been born will have the chance to hear and accept or reject the gospel.
The Bible tells us that the Holy Ghost over shadowed Mary and she conceived the Son of God the Father. How ever that took place is a mystery to us.
The Book of Mormon is a historical writings of Gods dealings with a group of People that came from the Old world. Although there are important truths and doctrines with the book it does not contain all the doctrines. It does teach of Christ and the atonement with more clarity. It was translated through the gift and power of God. Not perfect but is closer to the real intent of the many authors than any other translation.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You can't help yourself can you? I wish you could see how bad of form it is to continue to throw out one liners hoping to throw a jab in. I really feel sorry for those who have to approach with such an attitude. It just doesn't help anyone.

You discuss the nature of God and MOM gets no mention. I call you on it and you avoid discussing her in the non-answer answer. Are you embarrassed. Fit her into your description. Let her out of the basement.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Book of Mormon is a historical writings of Gods dealings with a group of People that came from the Old world.

"Gods" or "God's" ????

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You discuss the nature of God and MOM gets no mention. I call you on it and you avoid discussing her in the non-answer answer. Are you embarrassed. Fit her into your description. Let her out of the basement.
Personally I believe there is a Mother in Heaven, but we know nothing about her and I am not into speculating about her. Here why I think you do and say these things here. We make sense from what you can not make sense. For example you believe that God created everything from nothing. That before he created there was nothing but empty space with no matter. God who has always existed decided to create. Why then and not earlier, or later no one knows. Just wanted to. Before there was no evil. After God created there was evil. Since God knows all things from past present and future, God must have intended to create evil. Why? Because he would have known what he was going to create would have turned evil. Not only that he did not put it back where it came from. Into nothing. He has allowed evil to not only exist, but to grow stronger. Does that sound like a God you had in mind?

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Personally I believe there is a Mother in Heaven, but we know nothing about her

You know she is a Parent do you not? Does that imply kids?

“Man, as a spirit, was begotten and born of heavenly parents, and reared to maturity in the eternal mansions of the Father, prior to coming upon the earth in a temporal [physical] body” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith [1998], 335).

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know she is a Parent do you not? Does that imply kids?

“Man, as a spirit, was begotten and born of heavenly parents, and reared to maturity in the eternal mansions of the Father, prior to coming upon the earth in a temporal [physical] body” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith [1998], 335).
So it is not part of what is within the scriptures.. So I believe it? yes So what you don't have to believe it.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Believe this too?

We were not all alike in heaven. We know, for example, that we were sons and daughters of heavenly parents—males and females (see “The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Ensign, Nov. 1995, 102). We possessed different talents and abilities, and we were called to do different things on earth. We can learn more about our “eternal possibilities” when we receive our patriarchal blessings (see Thomas S. Monson, in Conference Report, Oct. 1986, 82; or Ensign, Nov. 1986, 66).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Believe this too?

Our Heavenly Father called a Grand Council to present His plan for our progression (see Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, 209, 511). We learned that if we followed His plan, we would become like Him. We would be resurrected; we would have all power in heaven and on earth; we would become heavenly parents and have spirit children just as He does (see D&C 132:19–20).

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Believe this too?

We were not all alike in heaven. We know, for example, that we were sons and daughters of heavenly parents—males and females (see “The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Ensign, Nov. 1995, 102). We possessed different talents and abilities, and we were called to do different things on earth. We can learn more about our “eternal possibilities” when we receive our patriarchal blessings (see Thomas S. Monson, in Conference Report, Oct. 1986, 82; or Ensign, Nov. 1986, 66).
Do I have to tell you time after time? What are you trying to say? It is a teaching that we have heavenly parents? I didn't say it is not. It makes sense that since God created us in his own image male and female that we have parents. This does not make more sense than believing that God on some kind of a whim poofed us into existance? That his intentions were to create a perfect place for his creation but he was not knowledgable to create it perfect? That God kept messing things up and had to adjust his perfect plan because it turned out not to be perfect because his creations failed him? An all powerful knowing God continue to Not only creating evil but allowing evil to continue to exist so it can continue to destroy his plans? This does not make sense to me.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Believe this too?

Our Heavenly Father called a Grand Council to present His plan for our progression (see Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, 209, 511). We learned that if we followed His plan, we would become like Him. We would be resurrected; we would have all power in heaven and on earth; we would become heavenly parents and have spirit children just as He does (see D&C 132:19–20).
So

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Knowing that there is a Mother in Heaven does not help further my opportunities to be saved. Just nice to know

So if she can't help you then she's not worth knowing to any depth beyond her existence? Now I'm understanding why my Heavenly Mothers Day Thread drew no words of appreciation.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So if she can't help you then she's not worth knowing to any depth beyond her existence? Now I'm understanding why my Heavenly Mothers Day Thread drew no words of appreciation.
It is not known what her role is in the creation or our progression except that she is our parent. That is all that I am going to say because there is nothing else to discuss.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
“What,” says one, “do you mean we should understand that Deity consists of man and woman?” Most certainly I do. If I believe anything that God has ever said about himself . . . I must believe that deity consists of man and woman . . . there can be no God except he is composed of the man and woman united, and there is not in all the eternities that exist, or ever will be a God in any other way.”

Elder Erastus Snow of the Twelve
Journal of Discourses, 19: 26970, March 3, 1878​

Hum.....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.