Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,718.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Probably not by St Paul.

The style is different, and also this letter (very ancient) was not written to communies founded by St Paul, but probably to a community in Palestinia composed by former Jewish Priests (of the tribe of Levi), who had difficoulties to consider surpassed the Temple whorship.

Upvote 0

relspace

Mar 18, 2006
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟9,052.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have always assumed that the author was the apostle Paul. The ideas presented are consistent with Paul's way of thinking and it has pointed out in articles that I have read that it is also consistent with Paul's scholarship and knowledge of the Old Testament. The possiblity is also suggested that these are the words of Paul recorded by a disciple. The point is that the writing found in Hebrews is so consistent with the idea of Paul being the author that I am not sure that the answer to this question has any significant interpretive consequences. It is not like we are going to question its authority regardless.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Whoever it was, it was probably a Jew of the Priestly class as he talked about Melchizedek and the OC Priesthood in most of the book.

I can almost view it as the same author of Exodus and Leviticus and book of revelation which also sounds like a Jew of the Priestly class. :)

Hebrews 7:1 For this Melchisedek, king of Salem, priest of God Most High, who did meet Abraham turning back from the smiting of the kings, and did bless him,

Hebrew 12:26 Whose Voice the land shook then [Mt Sinai?], and now hath he promised, saying, `Yet once--I shake not only the land, but also the heaven;' 27 and this--`Yet once' --doth make evident the removal [OC LAW/DEATH?] of the things shaken, as of things having been made, that the things not shaken may remain;[NC CHRIST/ LIFE?] 28 wherefore, a kingdom that cannot be shaken receiving, may we have grace, through which we may serve God well-pleasingly, with reverence and religious fear; 29 for also our God [is] a consuming fire.

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The scholars.

My studies on Luther suggests that Luther believed the author was a legalistic Jew from the priestly tribe of Levi.
Interesting. Well, I can tell you many scholars do in fact hold to the Clement theory, whether or not you believe that they do.

There are other theories out there, of course, that various scholars hold to. There's Pauline authorship, and a couple of others that have a heavy following, but I don't remember offhand what they were. Mostly it's not specific names, but rather estimates of the characteristics of the author.

Oh, and the author was not a legalist. The book actually talks about freedom from certain aspects of the Law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knowledge3

Mar 29, 2005
✟9,814.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Interesting. Well, I can tell you many scholars do in fact hold to the Clement theory, whether or not you believe that they do.

There are other theories out there, of course, that various scholars hold to. There's Pauline authorship, and a couple of others that have a heavy following, but I don't remember offhand what they were. Mostly it's not specific names, but rather estimates of the characteristics of the author.

Oh, and the author was not a legalist. The book actually talks about freedom from certain aspects of the Law.

True, we are not under Law but grace.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,718.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Heh. I just realized I wrote the wrong Clement. :doh: I'll go back and edit that post. :D

No...Clement of Rome was not a Jew with levitic-priesthood heritage.

We know very few about him, but the tradition (mainly the Recognitiones) tell us that he was not even a Jew, but Roman citizen relative of the imperial family.

For sure he was not interested in a so deep judaic issues as the letter of Hebrew.

The fact the Clemens of Rome quoted probably this letter, do not allow us to consider him as the author.

From http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/hebrews/intro.htm:
Pauline authorship was contested in the West into the fourth century, but then accepted. In the sixteenth century, doubts about that position were again raised, and the modern consensus is that the letter was not written by Paul. There is, however, no widespread agreement on any of the other suggested authors, e.g., Barnabas, Apollos, or Prisc(ill)a and Aquila. The document itself has no statement about its author.
Among the reasons why Pauline authorship has been abandoned are the great difference of vocabulary and style between Hebrews and Paul's letters, the alternation of doctrinal teaching with moral exhortation, the different manner of citing the Old Testament, and the resemblance between the thought of Hebrews and that of Alexandrian Judaism. The Greek of the letter is in many ways the best in the New Testament.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No...Clement of Rome was not a Jew with levitic-priesthood heritage.

We know very few about him, but the tradition (mainly the Recognitiones) tell us that he was not even a Jew, but Roman citizen relative of the imperial family.

For sure he was not interested in a so deep judaic issues as the letter of Hebrew.

The fact the Clemens of Rome quoted probably this letter, do not allow us to consider him as the author.

From http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/hebrews/intro.htm:
Pauline authorship was contested in the West into the fourth century, but then accepted. In the sixteenth century, doubts about that position were again raised, and the modern consensus is that the letter was not written by Paul. There is, however, no widespread agreement on any of the other suggested authors, e.g., Barnabas, Apollos, or Prisc(ill)a and Aquila. The document itself has no statement about its author.
Among the reasons why Pauline authorship has been abandoned are the great difference of vocabulary and style between Hebrews and Paul's letters, the alternation of doctrinal teaching with moral exhortation, the different manner of citing the Old Testament, and the resemblance between the thought of Hebrews and that of Alexandrian Judaism. The Greek of the letter is in many ways the best in the New Testament.
I wasn't claiming that Clement wrote the book; I was sharing a tidbit of information that I learned in a seminary class. I thought people might find it interesting -- I have no wish to debate something on which I have not formed a firm opinion.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,718.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I wasn't claiming that Clement wrote the book; I was sharing a tidbit of information that I learned in a seminary class. I thought people might find it interesting -- I have no wish to debate something on which I have not formed a firm opinion.
I too do not have a firm opinion about the author of the letter of Hebrew.:p And I dont have at all the scolar knowledge to debate about it.

But love Clemens of Rome, and I've read a lot about him, so I founded strange that he could be considered the author.

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I too do not have a firm opinion about the author of the letter of Hebrew.:p And I dont have at all the scolar knowledge to debate about it.

But love Clemens of Rome, and I've read a lot about him, so I founded strange that he could be considered the author.
I'm afraid it's been too long for me to really remember what the reasons were... and I'm not in the office where my Hebrews commentaries are. I think it may have had to do with linguistic style or something of the sort, but I'm not sure.

If I remember correctly, the major theories are Paul, Clement, and some other unknown author. Something is telling me there was another of the Apostolic Fathers who was under consideration, but I can't think of who it was right now.

At the end of the day, I still accept the book as canonical, regardless of the doubt about its authorship. It's interesting to speculate, though.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.