Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had a surprise today. My Dad was visiting and he mentioned a visit from the police informing him that a sexual predator had moved into his neighborhood, and that that led to his neighbor into searching online and discovering there were 20 in their community. So...

... I got curious, and searched on line, going to this web site www.mapsexoffenders.com/ and checked to see who was in my neighborhood. The first person I pulled up was someone I used to work with!

It just set me back... Sometimes I have thought that some parents who are always searching such sites are alarmist and possibly striking needless fears into the hearts of their young children... but this really caught my attention.

mommy68

Mar 11, 2007
✟7,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I've checked a similar site a lot over the last few years. I look by zip code and then the names are alphabatized so that helps as well....and the one I go to has pictures of the offender.

There was a man locally on the site for repeat offenses that my husband used to know who was a member of the BBB (better business bureau) because he owned his own business like my husband does. They met at a meeting and became associates and referred customers to one another, etc. some years ago. But this man (a child molester) has a business where he goes in to peoples homes!!!! Imagine that! It gives me the creeps thinking some stranger that might come in my home to do something like a contractor, pest control, anything!! might have a past like that. It pays to look up anyone that might or will come in close contact with you or your children.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I thankfully don't have any very near my home, but there are several dozen in my county. I knew two of them, and both were arrested for sex with a minor while they were both in highschool themselves (one case he was 18, she 16, and the other was 18 and 15 IIRC). The 18/15 couple have been married for probably 1o years now and have what seems to be a very happy young family. I don't remember how long he was locked up for, I don't think it was very long but it really sucks for them that he's labelled for life for something that at least in this case doesn't seem to be too big a deal - certainly no threat to the public.
That said, I don't think that cases like these are the majority, and I think we must be very vigilant when it comes to protecting our children - these offender registries are a big help.

Upvote 0

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I don't understand is why they're still out there so they can do it again! This is why I have lost so much respect for the court systems..it just seems so stupid to me that a man, or woman, can sexually assault someone and then just get back out on the streets..it really doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thankfully don't have any very near my home, but there are several dozen in my county. I knew two of them, and both were arrested for sex with a minor while they were both in highschool themselves (one case he was 18, she 16, and the other was 18 and 15 IIRC). The 18/15 couple have been married for probably 1o years now and have what seems to be a very happy young family. I don't remember how long he was locked up for, I don't think it was very long but it really sucks for them that he's labelled for life for something that at least in this case doesn't seem to be too big a deal - certainly no threat to the public.
That said, I don't think that cases like these are the majority, and I think we must be very vigilant when it comes to protecting our children - these offender registries are a big help.
I think that's a good point. It's good to be informed, but we also can't paint everyone on the "sex offender" list as a child predator. Statutory Rape gets you put on the list, even if there was no actual "forced rape"...the case with the 18 year old/15 year old is a good example. A poor choice, definitely, but not a crime that I would make me fear for my children's safety if he were living next door.

Upvote 0

cristianna

...dancing in the rain...
Aug 21, 2006
✟20,202.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I completely agree more details need to be included. We never know if it's the upset father of a 15, 16, or 17 year old daughter, a vengeful underage ex-girlfriend of the 18 year old male or what the real truthes are.

We have a few in our area. One local county is so riddled with names it's stomach churning to navigate through the pages.

What mommy68 wrote is a real eye opener! I have never cross-referenced names of contractors entering my home. Being one of very few sahm's in our community... I will be doing that now!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

icbeckyc

Mar 9, 2006
Texas
✟12,056.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I tried the site you listed and couldn't find anyone, but went through the state of texas and there are 2 within 2 blocks of our house and another within a few miles. Kinda scarey, just one more reason we need to get out of our subdivision.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I check the meg law website to see. No one in my direct neighborhood because you are not allowed to live in the community if you have a criminal record.

What kind of community would bar rehabilitated former criminals who have done their time from living in them? That doesn't seem very forgiving to me. I can see not wanting a convicted child molester living next door, but to extend that to all criminal records including non-violent offences like imbezlement or smoking pot 30 years ago or whatever is a bit over the top, IMHO. I wonder if it would hold up to a challenge in court?

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What kind of community would bar rehabilitated former criminals who have done their time from living in them? That doesn't seem very forgiving to me. I can see not wanting a convicted child molester living next door, but to extend that to all criminal records including non-violent offences like imbezlement or smoking pot 30 years ago or whatever is a bit over the top, IMHO. I wonder if it would hold up to a challenge in court?
There are lots of gated communities that require application in order to move in...in many of those, one of the requirements is that you cannot have a criminal record. It's not so uncommon. We're talking about private communities, not public free for all spaces...I doubt there's anything that could be done in a court to change it.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are lots of gated communities that require application in order to move in...in many of those, one of the requirements is that you cannot have a criminal record. It's not so uncommon. We're talking about private communities, not public free for all spaces...I doubt there's anything that could be done in a court to change it.

Bizarre. Where I live, we don't have "gated communitees" or HOAs. The well-off live on properties that have no neighbors, 40 acre+ chunks of land with beautiful woods and whatnot. I could see spending the jack to live somewhere like that, the idea of spending extra to live in an area with a fence arround it seems like paying money to live where the ex-cons that you fear used to live. What are people affraid of, these gated communitees usually are not found in the inner city, but in the sedate and boring cookiecutter suburbs. I understand that some of these communitees even go so far as to legislate which days you can mow your lawn and you have to ask permision before changing the color of your home. It scares me that some are so willing to forfeit their freedoms for the sake of their investments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have a woman who's register as a sex offender for going after little boys, less than 2 blocks from the park. It's scary. I too get there names and check their actual crimes with the county. a 15 and 19 year old dating etc, while not the best judgment, isn't someone I worry about.

Upvote 0