Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Can listening to certain music take you to Hell? Can you be a believer in Christ, and still go to Hell? Title says all that needs to be said, ciao.

boxman144

No one goes to "hell" (everlasting tortures), my friend.

"God is love".

He loves you more than anyone by far.

You are made to be loved by Him.

His unrelenting unconditional love will conquer all.

Need more "proof"? May I suggest asking Him, prayer, and:

Tentmaker – Jesus Christ, the savior of all men, especially those who believe. I Tim. 4:10

Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Can listening to certain music take you to Hell? Can you be a believer in Christ, and still go to Hell? Title says all that needs to be said, ciao.

boxman144

Music itself cannot send you to hell (not talking about lyrics, but simply music). Some music can affect you in a negative, physical way. Conversely, classical music has been shown to stimulate plant growth.
In my own experience heavy metal, pop, rap, to name a few, has affected my mind, soul, and body negatively and distracted me from Christ, even if they put Christian lyrics to it. I didn't realize it at the time, but once I broke from those musical genres I started noticing a difference in my overall well-being. If I go back to it now, I find it irritating... I just can't listen to it.

Our body has electrical currents (scientifically proven) and the currents/vibrations from certain types of music, as well as radio, tv, computer, etc. can interfere with the body's natural current. Too much of anything can really throw you off.

Does that mean if you are a Christian and listening to those styles you're going to hell? I wouldn't go that far... but it might make it more difficult. However, we should always be cautious of the lyrics and their messages that are being fed to us.

• Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Ro 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

not in Gods picture !!!

1Co 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

you know in yourself ,if it is offensive or no ! swearing rude crude etc...

1Co 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order...........

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not convinced that anyone goes to hell, but if they do we should look at Jesus' many teachings on judgement. Here's what we see. This summarizes Matthew, because he has the most about judgement, and just about everything in the other Gospels is also there:

7 uselessness (no fruit, no taste, bad fruit
7 reject Jesus and message, no faith, etc
2 failing to forgive
2 hyperbole (call someone fool, fail to amputate)
2 refuse to repent
1 going through broad gate
1 seeking to save your life
1 speaking against Holy Spirit
1 being evil rather than righteous
1 causing a child to stumble
1 shut others out of kingdom
1 hypocrites
1 mistreat others

Note: nothing about the sorts of sins most Christians think of, and certainly nothing about what kind of music you listen to. The concentration of some Christian groups on that kind of "sin" is more characteristic of the Pharisees than Jesus. They're the ones that focused on purity and on the "oral law," which was building on actual Biblical commandments lists of additional ones.

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What did Christ die to save us from then? Why did He speak on it so many times?

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord
That was Jesus' earthly ministry. Note it says nothing about preaching to dead spirits in hell/the grave.
The Greek word translated "captives" literally means "prisoner(s) of war."
That being true 1 Pet 3;19-20 does not mean that Jesus went to hell/the grave and preached to dead spirits.

1 Peter 3:19-20
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
Where ever Jesus went the only people who were saved was Noah and his family, and they were not dead they were alive.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No one is going to hell. The church is the source of this evil doctrine, not scripture.
See my post [*5 link] this thread for the actual origin of the very Biblical doctrine of hell. 100s of year before the church.

Upvote 0

boxman144

Mar 7, 2020
Not Saying
✟20,412.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Ah, I see. Thanks for that, bro:)

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can you... elaborate on this?

Scripture is made up of symbols, and if you pick up the bible and try and read it like a regular book, you will think that is saying something that it is not. The hellfire doctrine has been brought into being, exactly this way.
To understand it correctly, you need to find the scripture that gives you the interpretation for symbols that make up whatever verse you are trying understand.

An example would be the word, Fire. You would look for the scripture that tells you what fire means. Then you would apply that to the other verses that contain the word fire. This is what is called "comparing spiritual with spiritual" If you don't do this, you end up with all kinds of carnal foolishness, which will make one verse contradict another.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scripture is made up of symbols, and if you pick up the bible and try and read it like a regular book, you will think that is saying something that it is not. The hellfire doctrine has been brought into being, exactly this way.
To understand it correctly, you need to find the scripture that gives you the interpretation for symbols that make up whatever verse you are trying understand.
An example would be the word, Fire. You would look for the scripture that tells you what fire means. Then you would apply that to the other verses that contain the word fire. This is what is called "comparing spiritual with spiritual" If you don't do this, you end up with all kinds of carnal foolishness, which will make one verse contradict another.
There are many figures of speech used in the Bible. A quick question about fire. Was the fire that Peter warmed himself by when Jesus was arrested real or symbolic? Was the fire that Jesus cooked fish on real or symbolic?
When the disciples wrote to churches in Italy, Greece. Turkey etc. would they have understood Jewish symbols? Is there anything in any of the epistles which would have explained all the "symbols" to them? Recognizing that unlike us they did not have an electronic device with numerous versions of the Bible, with which they could do an instantaneous cross reference of verses. And it is highly unlikely that anyone except the wealthy even had their own copy of the some epistles. Even churches would not have a complete NT. The average person would know only what they heard in church on Sunday.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I ask that you not be rude. And what agenda, bruh? I have no agenda, I'm just asking a question
Your first question misrepresented what the article said, in its entirety. The "sins" were listed in the article.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Feel free to try to prove me wrong, with evidence at least equivalent to the evidence I presented..

That's not how logical arguments work.

You present a bare assertion fallacy.

I laugh.

The onus is on the the one who made the assertion to provide evidence of proof.

That hasn't happened yet.

Once the evidence is provided, your opponent (that would be me in this case) then must provide a rebuttal from a more reliable source to counter your claim.

The ball is in your court.

• Agree
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I laugh.
Once the evidence is provided, your opponent (that would be me in this case) then must provide a rebuttal from a more reliable source to counter your claim.
Wrong! I did not present a bare assertion anything. I provided credible, verifiable, historical evidence, i.e. The Jewish Encyclopedia, Encyclopedia Judaica and Talmud, which has never been refuted and which is superior to any evidence, I have ever seen, for UR.
You might quote something from J. Preston Eby or Tentmaker.

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I laugh.

Well, I assume you're talking to me, since you post is directly under mine. You know, quoting someone is a thing for a reason.

Anyway, what you're saying is all well and good, but in reality, most people are not going to admit they are wrong, because they are more interested in defending their pet doctrines, than the actual truth. I will therefore, decline you little challenge.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

boxman144

No, listening to music won't send you to hell.

The only thing that can send you to hell is you personally wanting to go to hell.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, I assume you're talking to me, since you post is directly under mine.

Weird. I quoted who that was directed toward. I can see it fine from my end; and it's not directly under your post.

Upvote 0