USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Large monestaries or cathedrals might do daily Divine Liturgies but I am not aware of any near me that do.

The monestary locally has Divine Liturgy on Wednesday and Friday's as well as Sunday. (Except of course during Lent when the DL is only done on Sunday's with presanctified services being done in the evenings on Wednesday and Friday eves.)

The local monestary does have prayer services in the morning and evening that people outside the monestary can attend.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,187,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In Greece during Lent and Advent there are services every day while in the monasteries they are right throughout the year. In Australia where there is not the same density of Orthodox Christians, it is usually not feasible to have services every day.

You are indeed blessed.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟445,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I suppose I took daily Mass for granted.

Not many folks show up, but it is gr8 to have that opportunity.

BC [before children] I went every day when I lived in the city. However; moving into the rural area... it changed due to gas prices and distance.

What I would love for the drop in prices...:crossrc:

I am trying to discern what small similarities we all have.

However; we are not obligated but 8 days a year outside fo Sunday's and this Saturday is a Day of Obligation.

Upvote 0

Epiphanygirl

Don't De-Rock Me
Oct 6, 2004
Behind you :)
✟11,873.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I suppose I took daily Mass for granted.

Not many folks show up, but it is gr8 to have that opportunity.

BC [before children] I went every day when I lived in the city. However; moving into the rural area... it changed due to gas prices and distance.

What I would love for the drop in prices...:crossrc:

I am trying to discern what small similarities we all have.

However; we are not obligated but 8 days a year outside fo Sunday's and this Saturday is a Day of Obligation.
Iwas actually surprised at how many do show up at my parish for daily Mass...I myself don't go daily, but when I've gone there were quite a number there, especially on First Fridays......It's comforting to know that the Church is open after Mass so that people can pray all day long too!!
I can't tell you how many times I've been in despair and just went to and prayed in the Church:crossrc:

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Most of the Orthodox parishes I'm familiar with will offer Divine Liturgy maybe one or two weekdays regularly. Mine offers very early Monday DLs (6:00am!) and mid-morning Thursday DLs.

Obviously, there are lots of Feast Days throughout the year when Liturgy is celebrated. And I love Lent, when we have the Liturgy of the Pre-Sanctified Gifts on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Mary

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟445,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I agree, going as often as we can certainly is awesome. Even if only a few times a week, having this gets us thru a week.

I really miss daily Mass. ...since the gas thing.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree, going as often as we can certainly is awesome. Even if only a few times a week, having this gets us thru a week.

I really miss daily Mass. ...since the gas thing.

Maybe you could find a car-pool to share the expense.

Have you seen the High Solemn Rorate Mass in the extraordinary form on TV yet? It's amazing!

I want to run out and learn Latin asap.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
EWTN has daily mass and I think they might have it on their web page too. It is not the same as attending but it is a substitute that is better then none.

Where I live the EO parishes are very small. We have 30 families at ours. The other one near me is not many more then this. The local monestary is also small ... I don't know how many live there but I am guessing maybe 12 women. But they don't have a full time Priest. The one Priest who is there all the time has health problems. He doesn't do a DL by himself anymore.

When I was going to convert to the Catholic Church (before I even visited an EO parish), I went to daily mass during the week but I didn't go to the Sunday Mass. I liked the quiet and small services best. I used to go half an hour early to just sit in the church and think and pray. I can certainly understand why you like daily Mass.

Reactions: JoabAnias
Upvote 0

Anglian

let us love one another, for love is of God
Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
With our Liturgy of St. James lasting for 2 hours, preceded by half an hour for the Raising of Incense, it would be impractical to have a daily Liturgy outside of our Cathedrals! Remember too that Orthodox services involve very little sitting down by anyone! (The old ladies are always the toughest here, putting many men to shame).

In most Coptic Churches the Liturgy is that of St. Basil in a mixture of Coptic and Arabic, and it can last even longer than the St. James. Doing one of those every day would put quite a strain on the priest.

How long do the daily Catholic masses last?

In peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The TridentineLatinMass is closer to 2 hrs (last one I saw was 1:45 but had 5 priests and 2 deacons) or I could see where it could be more if fewer Ministers are in attendance and the NO is usually an hour or more depending on the homily or feast day practices. Last Sunday I noticed the NO Liturgy I attended went well over an hour. As I was leaving I looked at my watch and it was 20 past the hr. Weekday Masses are often shorter in length because the number of commincants are less so doesn't take as long. However in many Parishes its preceeded with the liturgy of the hours or followed with the Rosary which will add another 30 minutes time.

I have been part of Novus Ordo masses where baptisms and chrismations take place or at places of pilgrimage with many concelebrants and communicants that last well over 2 hrs though.

Usually Easter is longer but I think the efficacy and grace imparted by the sacraments is the same regardless of the amount of time standing.

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've rarely seen a standard TLM last two or more hours and I used to attend one every week.

Yea, my bad, should have said 1:45. That was the time of the last one I saw. I have a habit of rounding up. :blush:

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟445,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Maybe you could find a car-pool to share the expense.

Have you seen the High Solemn Rorate Mass in the extraordinary form on TV yet? It's amazing!

I want to run out and learn Latin asap.

Peace.
Actually in my area [very rural] only 10% of the population is Catholic [county wide]. And they live near either of the two Churches closest in my county.

I do not know anyone who lives near me to be Catholic.

EWTN has daily mass and I think they might have it on their web page too. It is not the same as attending but it is a substitute that is better then none.

Where I live the EO parishes are very small. We have 30 families at ours. The other one near me is not many more then this. The local monestary is also small ... I don't know how many live there but I am guessing maybe 12 women. But they don't have a full time Priest. The one Priest who is there all the time has health problems. He doesn't do a DL by himself anymore.

When I was going to convert to the Catholic Church (before I even visited an EO parish), I went to daily mass during the week but I didn't go to the Sunday Mass. I liked the quiet and small services best. I used to go half an hour early to just sit in the church and think and pray. I can certainly understand why you like daily Mass.
It is so peaceful attending daily Mass. I should watch EWTN... but i especially like receiving the Eucharist.
With our Liturgy of St. James lasting for 2 hours, preceded by half an hour for the Raising of Incense, it would be impractical to have a daily Liturgy outside of our Cathedrals! Remember too that Orthodox services involve very little sitting down by anyone! (The old ladies are always the toughest here, putting many men to shame).

In most Coptic Churches the Liturgy is that of St. Basil in a mixture of Coptic and Arabic, and it can last even longer than the St. James. Doing one of those every day would put quite a strain on the priest.

In peace,

Anglian

Daily Mass can be anywhere from 20-40 minutes.

Upvote 0