Who can wear anterri's

May 20, 2011
✟15,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
After i graduate high school, i will no longer be an altar boy in my church as has been our tradition for many years. I will be remaining to chant alongside the protopsalti at my church. In College i plan to chant at whatever church i go to. An altar biy robe would not be apprpriote but an anterri (cassock) might. Do you what the procedure is to be being allowed to wear one?

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you're Greek Archdiocese/tradition, the priest will give you a blessing to wear one if you're high enough ranking or have a certain degree of skill. The protopsalti often does, the neokoros if they are in the Altar almost always does, some other adult altar servers do. Otherwise, just neat, formal clothes for Church like everyone else.

I would think that it's not the kind of thing you ask for.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the best thing to do is talk to everyone involved and then do what is obedient and humble. Probably the worst thing to do would be to just show on your first visit dressed with presumption. If you are ordained, that would also be a consideration, but in any case always get the blessing of the presiding priest before approaching the chanter stand and be open to the possibility that they might not need another chanter...

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You might also end up at a church that doesn't utilize single chantors. Some places use choirs, especially if whatever church is close to your college isn't Greek. A cassock is a vestment and typically only those who have been tonsured as a reader or (in the case of some "altar boys" who are grown men) a subdeacon wear them. Also, most churches don't have a tradition of kicking men out of the altar after high school (subdeacons or altar servers were traditionally men and boys were added only when suitable men were not found) so you might continue to serve at your college parish.

Upvote 0

Gregorios

Blessed is our God
Mar 1, 2011
West Virginia
Visit site
✟9,342.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All these answers are correct. I was blessed to wear the anteri at Church after I was tonsured a reader, obviously I don't wear it when not at Church or a monastery although technically I could if my Bishop blessed it but he hasn't as it would be a source of temptation and pride for me but check with the priest and/or your Bishop and see what they would say.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011
✟15,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank all of you for your answers. I definitely would have to talk with the priest. I have been tonsured a reader and all the schools im looking at are coincidentally located within walking distance of Greek Orthodox churches. But i never thought that they might not need/want another chanter. Thank you al for your input!

Upvote 0

Gregorios

Blessed is our God
Mar 1, 2011
West Virginia
Visit site
✟9,342.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here's the thing about Psaltis (chanters) they are musicians a lot of them and they enjoy chanting and praising God in this way. Some, however, take it further. They are obsessive and want everything done a certain way and if it doesn't go that way you will be kicked off the Kilros (I've seen it happen) or they will just chant over you. Also, there isn't always a lot of room for more than one or two chanters but just ask and see what the priest *and* the Protopsaltis (lead chanter) says.

Upvote 0