Who’s ‘Anti-Francis’? Bishop Paprocki and Others Point Out Cardinal McElroy’s Contradictions of the Holy Father

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“I think it’s very convenient to try to hide behind Pope Francis and say, ‘Well, if you disagree with me, you’re really disagreeing with Pope Francis,’” the Illinois bishop told the Register. “But I think the reality is contrary to that.”

Shortly after Bishop Thomas Paprocki published a Feb. 28 essay rhetorically considering the proper canonical response to heretical prelates, the Springfield, Illinois, bishop received criticism for being “anti-Francis.”

Why? Because in his piece, Bishop Paprocki had implied that Cardinal Robert McElroy of San Diego, a cleric who Pope Francis seemingly went out of his way to elevate to the College of Cardinals in 2022, was publicly promoting heretical ideas, specifically regarding reception of the Eucharist while in a state of unrepentant mortal sin.

Bishop Paprocki’s article “is part of the proxy war against this pontificate being waged by some in the Anglophone Catholic world,” claimed Christopher Lamb, a journalist for The Tablet, a British Catholic publication whose editors recently wrote that the Church’s teaching on sexuality has a “shaky foundation.”

A similar idea was advanced by Dan Rober, professor of Catholic studies at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Connecticut, who characterized Bishop Paprocki’s piece as “another U.S. ishop attacking Pope Francis by way of attacking one of the other bishops.”

Continued below.