Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
In the website "Truthdig" columnist Chris Hedges reviews the life and writings of radical theologian James H. Cone who died in April of this year. In the article, Hedges quotes this from Cone's posthumous memoir, "Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody: the Making of a Black Theologian":

“White supremacy is America’s original sin and liberation is the Bible’s central message,” he writes in his book. “Any theology in America that fails to engage white supremacy and God’s liberation of black people from that evil is not Christian theology but a theology of the Antichrist.”

White supremacy “is the Antichrist in America because it has killed and crippled tens of millions of black bodies and minds in the modern world,” he writes. “It has also committed genocide against the indigenous people of this land. If that isn’t demonic, I don’t know what is … [and] it is found in every aspect of American life, especially churches, seminaries, and theology.”

The entire column is found here:

The Heresy of White Christianity

The statement of purpose for this forum notes, ethics is "the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group or culture" and morality is "the personal compass of what is right and wrong for an individual".

With that in mind are the ethics of America's dominant religion enabling the spread of White Supremacy and the oppression of Black liberation in America and if so, what should be the moral position on that issue by members of that religion?

Just to be clear, I'm not questioning any of the basics of the religion such as a creed, cornerstone beliefs, etc, just the ethics of supporting White Supremacy.

• Haha
Reactions: Hieronymus

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the website "Truthdig" columnist Chris Hedges reviews the life and writings of radical theologian James H. Cone who died in April of this year. In the article, Hedges quotes this from Cone's posthumous memoir, "Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody: the Making of a Black Theologian":

“White supremacy is America’s original sin and liberation is the Bible’s central message,” he writes in his book. “Any theology in America that fails to engage white supremacy and God’s liberation of black people from that evil is not Christian theology but a theology of the Antichrist.”

White supremacy “is the Antichrist in America because it has killed and crippled tens of millions of black bodies and minds in the modern world,” he writes. “It has also committed genocide against the indigenous people of this land. If that isn’t demonic, I don’t know what is … [and] it is found in every aspect of American life, especially churches, seminaries, and theology.”

The statement of purpose for this forum notes, ethics is "the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group or culture" and morality is "the personal compass of what is right and wrong for an individual".

With that in mind are the ethics of America's dominant religion enabling the spread of White Supremacy and the oppression of Black liberation in America and if so, what should be the moral position on that issue by members of that religion?

Just to be clear, I'm not questioning any of the basics of the religion such as a creed, cornerstone beliefs, etc, just the ethics of supporting White Supremacy.

Where do you see a church body supporting white supremacy?

Upvote 0

Quort

May 6, 2017
Elgin
✟10,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

Was God supporting White Supremacy when He would not allow the missionaries into Asia but instead sent them to Europe? (Acts 16:6-10) The result of which was a Christianized Europe that has been the basis of our Western Civilization. And the east was left to its 'isms' for future generations of Christian missionaries to work.

Was God racist when He did this?

Is what the world likes to call 'White Supremacy' just another word for the 'blessing of God'?

Before everyone jumps up on their high horse and cries out that I am racist and support White Supremacy, just remember, I didn't start this thread. I personally can discuss it without getting upset. But many can't and then call for others to be banned. So, careful for what you ask.

Quort

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't understand in the Title of this post, why you call it, "America's Dominant Religion"?

I don't think white supremecy is dominant in america. Nor is it a religion. Nor is white supremecy dominant in religion in America.

I'm not supporting this thread because I think it takes a small, misguided piece of religion and act like it is a dominant part of Christianity and belief. It is not.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Was God supporting White Supremacy when He would not allow the missionaries into Asia but instead sent them to Europe? (Acts 16:6-10) The result of which was a Christianized Europe that has been the basis of our Western Civilization. And the east was left to its 'isms' for future generations of Christian missionaries to work.

Was God racist when He did this?

Is what the world likes to call 'White Supremacy' just another word for the 'blessing of God'?

Before everyone jumps up on their high horse and cries out that I am racist and support White Supremacy, just remember, I didn't start this thread. I personally can discuss it without getting upset. But many can't and then call for others to be banned. So, careful for what you ask.

Quort

How would you define the term white supremacy?

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand in the Title of this post, why you call it, "America's Dominant Religion"?

I don't think white supremecy is dominant in america. Nor is it a religion. Nor is white supremecy dominant in religion in America.

I'm not supporting this thread because I think it takes a small, misguided piece of religion and act like it is a dominant part of Christianity and belief. It is not.

I used the term because using the word 'Christianity' is often taken personally by devotees of the religion even when it is meant globally. I wanted to avoid that.

People of color seem to not agree with you about whether white supremacy is dominant in America. And if anyone would know, it would be those who are most likely to experience it.

And I didn't say that white supremacy is a religion. As to whether white supremacy is dominant in religion in America, just take a look at the picture of Jesus that hangs on the wall in the majority of American churches. It is dead on certain that Jesus was -not- a blond haired, blue eyed man.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I used the term because using the word 'Christianity' is often taken personally by devotees of the religion even when it is meant globally. I wanted to avoid that.

People of color seem to not agree with you about whether white supremacy is dominant in America. And if anyone would know, it would be those who are most likely to experience it.

And I didn't say that white supremacy is a religion. As to whether white supremacy is dominant in religion in America, just take a look at the picture of Jesus that hangs on the wall in the majority of American churches. It is dead on certain that Jesus was -not- a blond haired, blue eyed man.
If this is the case, than there will be reputable studies and resources stating such.

That is the type of proof someone uses rather than opinion.

I’ll eat to read those resources that you attach to this thread showing this is a huge problem and that most of Christianity supports this problematic theology

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As to whether white supremacy is dominant in religion in America, just take a look at the picture of Jesus that hangs on the wall in the majority of American churches. It is dead on certain that Jesus was -not- a blond haired, blue eyed man.
People often choose art work that they can relate to and many portraits of Christian themes were painted over the last 1000 years.

However, that does nothing to prove that this is a “dominant” issue in the US and Christianity.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exit polling during the American 2016 presidential election........

Church bodies are no allowed to vote only individuals are allowed to vote. And exit polling is unscientific nonsense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
If this is the case, than there will be reputable studies and resources stating such.

That is the type of proof someone uses rather than opinion.

I’ll eat to read those resources that you attach to this thread showing this is a huge problem and that most of Christianity supports this problematic theology

The size of the problem doesn't change the fact that it is an ethical problem for the religion. When White Supremacists stage rallies and claim Christianity as their religion, there is an echoing silence from the religion. When Christian pastors pander to the White Supremacy of the current president and that echoing silence remains, there is an ethical situation.

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Church bodies are no allowed to vote only individuals are allowed to vote. And exit polling is unscientific nonsense.

So the religion doesn't support White Supremacy but is totally unable...or unwilling...to convey that to the people??? And exit polling today -is- scientific and accurate. But that is another debate and if you choose to avoid that reality, nothing will change your mind.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Never seen a blond haired Jesus. Almost never seen a depiction of Jesus with blue eyes. All the pictures of Jesus in my house and my relatives house growing up were brown eyed and brown haired . I have seen some pictures of Jesus with very dark skin color and typical African hair and features. Are those people that have them in their houses black supremacists? Jesus was not a sub Saharan African any more than a Nordic European.

• Agree
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
People often choose art work that they can relate to and many portraits of Christian themes were painted over the last 1000 years.

However, that does nothing to prove that this is a “dominant” issue in the US and Christianity.

It DOES show how wide spread it is. Many memes have a basis in fact and it has been said over and over again that the most segregated time in America is 11:00 AM on Sunday morning.

But getting back to the question of the OP, regardless of whether it is the single, most dominate issue in the religion, it does seem to be an ethical issue for the religion and how should an individual's morality respond to that ethical issue?

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
{snip}As to whether white supremacy is dominant in religion in America, just take a look at the picture of Jesus that hangs on the wall in the majority of American churches. It is dead on certain that Jesus was -not- a blond haired, blue eyed man.

There was a picture of a white Jesus with blond hair and blue eyes at an evangelical church I once visited in North Texas. I've also seen a similar picture in a couple of other evangelical churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So the religion doesn't support White Supremacy but is totally unable...or unwilling...to convey that to the people??? And exit polling today -is- scientific and accurate. But that is another debate and if you choose to avoid that reality, nothing will change your mind.

I believe I have had enough of this. Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The size of the problem doesn't change the fact that it is an ethical problem for the religion. When White Supremacists stage rallies and claim Christianity as their religion, there is an echoing silence from the religion. When Christian pastors pander to the White Supremacy of the current president and that echoing silence remains, there is an ethical situation.
It does. The size of it matters a lot.

The US has a history of slavery and treating African Americans badly. That is documented in our history. It’s a fact.

However, Christianity is a religion that clearly teaches God loves all people. Black, white, brown. Everyone.

There will always be small groups of people with their own agenda who twist and pervert whatever they get their hands on.

But the vast majority of Christians will not support this behavior, nor be so disillusioned to think that the God of our Bible supports it.

As I brought forward in an earlier post, the title of your thread is a clear indication of what you are saying. You specifically used the word “DOMINANT” and “Religion”.

So you yourself are painting a specific picture. We all know what the dominant religion in the US is.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@zephcom, the United States of America was founded upon white supremacy of the WASP and the majority of the WASP were evangelical Christians. Racism against minorities has very roots in this nation's founding and for 188 years afterward until the Civil Rights Movement in 1964. America has been called a Christian nation and it's been said this country was founded upon Christian principles, but minorities have only had civil rights and equality to white people for only 54 years and America is 242 years old. Slavery was legal for 89 years in this country. I don't want to derail your thread, so I will just post a link to one of my earlier posts here, where I provide many examples of how minorities have been mistreated and discriminated against in this supposedly Christian nation since its inception.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

No one should have had to write an article about this, but alas it has been done - and is, in fact, necessary.

It should be clear; white supremacy was even applied to other Caucasians (but, of course mostly to people who look "negroid"). Even religious morality justified the treatment and enslavement of "negros" and "savages" through the canonical text of the bible.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It does. The size of it matters a lot.

The US has a history of slavery and treating African Americans badly. That is documented in our history. It’s a fact.

However, Christianity is a religion that clearly teaches God loves all people. Black, white, brown. Everyone.

There will always be small groups of people with their own agenda who twist and pervert whatever they get their hands on.

But the vast majority of Christians will not support this behavior, nor be so disillusioned to think that the God of our Bible supports it.

As I brought forward in an earlier post, the title of your thread is a clear indication of what you are saying. You specifically used the word “DOMINANT” and “Religion”.

So you yourself are painting a specific picture. We all know what the dominant religion in the US is.

Secular Materialism. That is if your actual religion is the religion that you practice and not the one you profess to adhere to. May I also suggest that the government of the US has a history of having treated its citizens of African decent badly and even heinously. along with a citizens of the First Nations and to a slightly lesser degree citizens of Asian decent but that it no longer is legally allowed to do that and that it was largely Christians of all racial background fighting and dying that freed their brothers from slavery and largely Christians marching and voting that brought about an end to codified institutional oppression of any citizens in the U.S..

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0