Mar 28, 2006
Visit site
✟7,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PaladinValer said:
The mT was the MT of the first 7 or 8 centuries of Christian history however.
Trying to guess what you mean by mT and MT. My first thought was that mT = Majority Text and MT = Massoretic Text, but that doesn't work because the Massoretic text that we know of was produced in the 10th century.

Humm ... reading it the other way doesn't work either. Perhaps you could clarify?

Thanks!

Richard

Upvote 0

oldsage

Veteran
Nov 4, 2005
Pinellas Park, FL
✟1,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Endotek06 said:
So what is the earliest English translation that's still available for purchase?

I have a Tyndale NT 1526, with the original spellings. It was the second bible translated into English and was the first one translated from the Greek.

Blessings,
Chris

Upvote 0

oldsage

Veteran
Nov 4, 2005
Pinellas Park, FL
✟1,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
PaladinValer said:
mT=minority texts.

The earliest English? Probably a fascimile of a 1611 KJV, though as for what edition of that 1611, I'm not sure.

Nelson puts out the 1611 KJV facsimile, they say it is the 1st edition.

Upvote 0

JWA

Jan 3, 2006
Northeast Indiana
✟16,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I chose the KJV , but also have NIV, and the NASB in my home. If I come across a passage of scripture that is a little too wordy (Old English thees and thou's) I will often go to the NIV for clarification. My wife likes the NASB because of the Keyword choices, which can be helpful too. My alltime favorite is the Companion bible in the KJV.

God bless:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DiscoFrank

Christian Forums Resident Beach Bum
Nov 20, 2005
Bangor, Northern Ireland
✟18,231.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I use bibleworks and the NRSV to study with, I like The Message or the Good News Bible for a bit of an alternate take on things. I have an OT professor who loves the TEV/GNB and defends it vehemently!! I like the way they have tried to put it into the language of the man on the street, after all isn't that why Tyndale made his first translation? For "the boy that driveth the plough to know more of scripture than [the Pope] did."

Meh, I could say a lot more, but i don't wanna get told off!

Upvote 0

Wigglesworth

Simple Chicken Farmer
Aug 21, 2004
Visit site
✟17,933.00
Faith
Charismatic
I voted for the NAB.

I was reading chapter two of Romans last night, and when I got to Romans 2:7, I wanted to double check it. The connection of eternal life to good works shot up a red flag. So, I checked the NLT and the KJV, and, to my surprise, they said the same thing only less clearly.

:crossrc:

Upvote 0

Bernergirl

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
✟16,161.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Politics
US-Democrat
Voted NIV, but I study from the NLT. NIV is my church Bible and I have a few different versions on e-Sword. I also have Russian, Spanish, and German Bibles, as well as a Hebrew OT and a Greek NT and the Latin Vulgate. Someday I will be able to read them all! (My dream is to be multi-lingual... I'm working on it...)

I like to read the Message NT copy I have for light reading and I have a New Authorized Version NT that I read on the bus sometimes. The KJV was my first Bible (my Ma bought it for me from the dollar store...).

Basically, try to read whatever I can get my hands on.

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its hard for me to pick a favorite. I voted NIV. Its the version I carry and read aloud to others, such as my family, in Bible studies, etc. - so its the one I use "most" in public. However for personal devotional reading I like to read through a new Bible version each year. I've read through most of those on the list, and view them as I would a familiar friend. When I'm studying I like to consult a wide range of versions. I've become familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of different versions that way.

Lamorak Des Galis

Upvote 0

tericl2

A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian
Out of the available choices I voted for the NASB. I would have voted for the NIV had the TNIV not been joined with it. I have pretty much all the translations listed plus some others. The ESV is a very nice translation and I have recently obtained a NET bible from bible.org which I like very much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

all things through Christ

Jul 7, 2005
Tucson / Arizona
✟16,046.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
thetruth1611 said:
I can't believe you put the KJV and the NKJV in the same catagory. I wouldn't ever put those two together.

For those of you that use the NIV, how do you explain these two verses:

Isaiah 14:12
How you have fallen from heaven,
O morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to the earth,
you who once laid low the nations!

Revelation 22:16
I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.

Doesn't this imply Jesus sinned? The definition of cast down is "Throw down, hurl to the ground". Revelation clearly says that Jesus is the bright Morning Star. So why has this star been cast down?

Doesn't this imply that I disagree?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.