Which three of these Ten Animals would yu restore from Extinction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Given a choice to restore three of these ten creatures from extinction, which two would you choose?

1.The Dodo
2.The Great Auk
3.Stellar's Sea Cow
4.The Aurochs
5.The Western Black Rhino
6.Passenger Pigeon
7.The Giant Moa
8.The Bubal Hardebeest
9. Caribbean Monk Seals
10.The Heath Hen

I would bring back the Moa, the Stellar's Sea Cow and the Dodo.

MOA:

Moa took us 100 years to kill them off , It weighed approx 510 lb and was approx. 12 feet in height. That's lot of meat!

Moa - Wikipedia
800px-Dinornithidae_SIZE_01.png

A size comparison between 4 moa species and a human. 1. Dinornis novaezealandiae 2. Emeus crassus 3. Anomalopteryx didiformis 4. Dinornis robustus
By Conty - Own work, CC BY 3.0, File:Dinornithidae SIZE 01.png - Wikimedia Commons
======================

Stellar’s Sea Cow = 22,000 pounds. We liked their meat fur and oil. It was approx. ten meters or 32 feet long. We easily finished them off by 1768. Only took us 27 years.

762a0ffd012cbd76074856bf80323e08.jpg

Steller's sea cow - Wikipedia

=================

Dodo Bird = Hunted to extinction invasive species habitat destruction. In less than a century we obliterated them..

800px-Edwards%27_Dodo.jpg

Dodo - Wikipedia
By Roelant Savery - http://julianhume.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/History-of-the-dodo-Hume.pdf, Public Domain, File:Edwards' Dodo.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

BTW
Given the choice of just one of the ten in the video I would restore Stellar’s Sea Cow.

Last edited:
Reactions: brinny

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'd rather not spend ten minutes just to get the list. But I'm pretty sure Dodo would be on my list.
Sorry. I should have provided the list as I originally intended.

The Dodo
The Great Auk
Stellar's Cow
The Aurochs
The Western Black Rhino
Passenger Pigeon
The Giant Moa
The Bubal Hardebeest
Monk Seals
The Heath Hen

BTW
Good choice! The Dodo was a beautiful animal. It wasn't harming anyone either.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟246,060.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Like Airpo I am not prepared to view the video just to get the list. So here is my own list:

Homo neanderthalensis
Homo erectus
Australopithecus afarensis
Homo floresiensis
Homo ergaster
Homo antecessor
Homo heidelbergensis
Homo habilis
Homo georgicus
Paranthropus bosei

This would serve two functions. First it would go some way towards atoning for any of these we might have wiped out. Secondly they could explain to the YECs just how wrong they were.

Edit: now that the list is provided, my three would be Passenger Pigeon, Aurochs, Great Auk.

Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟269,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

The Dodo
The Great Auk
Stellar's Cow
The Aurochs
The Western Black Rhino
Passenger Pigeon
The Giant Moa
The Bubal Hardebeest
Monk Seals
The Heath Hen

BTW

Giant Moa for me. I like to imagine myself riding it around the town, pecking the peasants who don't move out of the way fast enough.

• Haha
Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

The Dodo
The Great Auk
Stellar's Cow
The Aurochs
The Western Black Rhino
Passenger Pigeon
The Giant Moa
The Bubal Hardebeest
Monk Seals
The Heath Hen

BTW
I'll add the Monk Seal, assuming it's the Caribbean Monk Seal.
And the Rino.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Giant Moa for me. I like to imagine myself riding it around the town, pecking the peasants who don't move out of the way fast enough.
Something like this but with you riding it?

Job 39: 18 Yet when she spreads her feathers to run, she laughs at horse and rider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟269,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Something like this but with you riding it?

Job 39: 18 Yet when she spreads her feathers to run, she laughs at horse and rider.

Ha ha, brilliant! I imagined they'd be much bigger than that though, like Dinornis robustus in your diagram above.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Passenger Pigeon, Dodo bird, and the Great auk, since I view these as species that, once brought back, would have a good chance of not immediately going extinct again.
What disadvantage do the other ones have that these choices don't?

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure. I'd like to look to restoring keystone species, those that play vital roles in the ecosystem. That's one of the reasons there is such a push to bring back the mammoth.
What can the mammoth do for our ecosystem that these ten can't? I assume you mean the Tundra, correct?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Over the past several decades the Aurochs has been largely bred back to an animal closely resembling the original. A number have already been released into old growth forests in the Balkans. Such forests need large grazers like the Aurochs or the Wisent to maintain ecological health. This is a bit of a success story. In North America the bison is being reintroduced into its old range in both parks and private ranches.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Now that the list is provided, my three would be Passenger Pigeon, Aurochs, Great Auk.

Of the three you chose the one I am most interested in seeng is the Auroch.
The reason is that it is the one that I was told is identified in the Bible as the wild bull and I was always told that it was untamable and much greater in size than our modern bovines.

One historical description of the Auroch was written by, of all people, Julius Caesar, in his History of the Gallic War: "These are a little below the elephant in size, and of the appearance, color, and shape of a bull. Their strength and speed are extraordinary; they spare neither man nor wild beast which they have espied. These the Germans take with much pains in pits and kill them. The young men harden themselves with this exercise, and practice themselves in this sort of hunting, and those who have slain the greatest number of them, having produced the horns in public, to serve as evidence, receive great praise."
Auroch Facts

Long_horned_european_wild_ox.jpg

By Heinrich Harder (1858-1935) - The Wonderful Paleo Art of Heinrich Harder, Public Domain, File:Long horned european wild ox.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

A painting by Heinrich Harder showing an aurochs fighting off a Eurasian wolf pack

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟938,067.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Why the Western Black Rhino over the Dodo?
More majestic, maybe? Also I think that it was killed off in more recent times seems more tragic then just a consequence of a more careless and barbarous past.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
More majestic, maybe? Also I think that it was killed off in more recent times seems more tragic then just a consequence of a more careless and barbarous past.
You know, considering all the slaughtering that we did during WWI and WWII I often wonder whether indeed the past was far more barbarous than our more recent times considered modern. Mankind seems just as capable and as willing to commit atrocities as it did back then albeit with far more technical ability than before. The scary thing about us now is that we are able to terminate all life on Earth if we wanted to or if we are stupid enough to try to cut each others throats and don't really care about the global consequences.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.