Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Nowhere does the Bible speak of the soul as an immortal entity capable of living apart from our body. Neither does it speak of the spirit as an entity which can exist independent of our physical nature. We are not made of independent parts temporarily connected, but of body, soul and spirit (breath of life) in one indivisible whole.

Neither in the Old Testament nor the New Testament does ruach or pneuma refer to an intelligent entity capable of existence apart from the body
Hello I was just talking about soul sleep to you in another thread. So how can we think about what you are saying here and harmonize it with us having a “Coherent but non-bodily” existence in the spiritual world after death but prior to the resurrection? My thinking is that “Non-bodily” and “Non-physical” are misnomers, for instance how does it make any sense that we could greet family members who have passed on in the spiritual realm if we have no physical existence?

This is new thinking for me, up until now I just assumed soul sleep was true, so I never thought about how to actually have coherent existence (after death but prior to resurrection) yet have no physical body.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello I was just talking about soul sleep to you in another thread. So how can we think about what you are saying here and harmonize it with us having a “Coherent but non-bodily” existence in the spiritual world after death but prior to the resurrection? My thinking is that “Non-bodily” and “Non-physical” are misnomers, for instance how does it make any sense that we could greet family members who have passed on in the spiritual realm if we have no physical existence?

This is new thinking for me, up until now I just assumed soul sleep was true, so I never thought about how to actually have coherent existence (after death but prior to resurrection) yet have no physical body.

well ... that's the point .... we wait in the grave and know nothing until the Lord returns.

Nothing conscious about us after earthly death. Nothing physical about us after earthly death .... we turn to dust.

Many verses about this.

Termed sleep in His Word .... and rightfully so .... and one day everybody will be resurrected. 1st that of the saved (given immorality) .... 2nd that of the lost (not given immortality).

Paul sums it up here ....

1 Thessalonians 4

The Return of the Lord

13Brothers, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you will not grieve like the rest, who are without hope. 14For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, we also believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him.

15By the word of the Lord, we declare to you that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise.

17After that, we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord.

18Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Reactions: Jok
Upvote 0

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
well ... that's the point .... we wait in the grave and know nothing until the Lord returns.

Nothing conscious about us after earthly death. Nothing physical about us after earthly death .... we turn to dust.

Many verses about this.

Termed sleep in His Word .... and rightfully so .... and one day everybody will be resurrected. 1st that of the saved (given immorality) .... 2nd that of the lost (not given immortality).

Paul sums it up here ....

1 Thessalonians 4

The Return of the Lord

13Brothers, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you will not grieve like the rest, who are without hope. 14For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, we also believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him.

15By the word of the Lord, we declare to you that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise.

17After that, we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord.

18Therefore encourage one another with these words.
Lol I was doing three things at once and your name is very similar to a member who was disputing soul sleep, saw this thread on soul sleep and got your names mixed up and thought it was a contradiction, my bad! I’m currently on the fence about soul sleep, but for argument’s sake I’m trying to ask people who believe we will be coherent between death and the resurrection how that would be possible without a body? Sorry that I mixed you up with someone else, I had hot dogs burning on the grill lol

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I’m currently on the fence about soul sleep, but for argument’s sake I’m trying to ask people who believe we will be coherent between death and the resurrection how that would be possible without a body?
2Co 5:6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 Instead, I say that we are confident and willing to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

Christians including Catholics, believe that our consciousness, is connected to the soul / spirit which lives on after we leave the body in an intermediate state until one day our bodies are resurrected.

1Th 4:14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, we also believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him.

• Informative
Reactions: Jok
Upvote 0