Which marriages should be banned?

Which marriages should be banned?

• Opposite sex marriage between a Christian and a non-Christian.

• Opposite sex marriage between two non-Christians.

• Opposite sex marriage between two atheists.

• Opposte sex marriage between two people of different races.

• Opposite sex marriage where the couple does not plan to have children.

• Opposite sex marriage of convenience where the couple does not intend to honor the commitment.

• Same sex marriage.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Jesus came to us, died for our sakes, and was resurrected, that all who believe might have new life. This is, and has always been, the good news of Christ.
HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT? SCRIPTURE...thats how.
But, he certainly did! Jesus worked on the sabbath, allowed his disciples to eat grain, disobeyed the command to stone an adulteress, many other things that contradicted the earlier written form of the law. The Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath, so the savior taught. Christ was the fulfillment of the true Law, not human law.
Changing the law doesn't mean you didn't approve of it. The old covenant was used to help the Jews and the new covenant is that of grace and salvation.
If some holy texts are wrong, how do you know that the bible is true? Through faith, prayer, and community. the same goes for those parts of the bible which are in error in some literal sense. There are many clear instances of factual error, but none of them impact the true meaning of the message within. Does the Sermon on the Mount become invalid just because it didn't take place on a mountain? Of course not! The sermon is important, not the mountain.
Can you please tell me how do you know they are wrong? And you please tell me how do you know where the sermon on the MOUNT took place?

Upvote 0

PinkTulip

Dec 12, 2005
Ontario
✟16,223.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I've read the entire Bible love.

Cover to cover.

Also, the OT has LOTS of condemnation. The OT is an illustration of God's wrath. The NT is an illustration of God's mercy.
So do you follow the God of the OT?

Upvote 0

TheFathersDaughter

The Revolution has Started
Mar 3, 2007
✟9,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
So do you follow the God of the OT?
It is the same God, so yes.

But I don't go offering sheep on an alter.

I don't not go to church the week of my period.

The Church has changed and God recognizes that. When Christ came He abolished the old law when He fulfilled it. If you deny that, YOU BETTER FOLLOW ALL OF LEVITICUS. Don't say "Well some of it's just Jewish tradition" because then you're guilty of picking and choosing.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

The Church has changed and God recognizes that. When Christ came He abolished the old law when He fulfilled it. If you deny that, YOU BETTER FOLLOW ALL OF LEVITICUS. Don't say "Well some of it's just Jewish tradition" because then you're guilty of picking and choosing.
You are now on my ignore list.

I don't talk to teens online about their periods, sorry.

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT? SCRIPTURE...thats how.
Actually, through witness and revelation. I was Christian long before I could read.

Can you please tell me how do you know they are wrong? And you please tell me how do you know where the sermon on the MOUNT took place?
Just an example. Matthew says mountainside, Luke says level place, one of them must be wrong. What difference does it make whether he taught on a hill or not? The lesson is what is important, not the classroom. This is what confuses me- when the teachings of Christ get lost in the packaging.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟995,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[SIZE=-1]Just an example. Matthew says mountainside, Luke says level place, one of them must be wrong. What difference does it make whether he taught on a hill or not? The lesson is what is important, not the classroom. This is what confuses me- when the teachings of Christ get lost in the packaging.[/SIZE]

Still moving heaven and hell to find errors and contradictions in the Bible. Ever hear of a mountain meadow?

It is not the teachings of Christ that get lost, the truth gets trampled underfoot by those deliberately trying to destroy the Bible for their own ends and unwilling to exert the simplest effort to resolve their imagined error.

Upvote 0

david_x

I So Hate Consequences!!!!
Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
No, marriage doesn't equal love. At least not the ceremonial "let's just get married" Vegas style. I've said this before MARRIAGE IS JUST A PAPER.

I'm talking about marriage, as in the giving of hearts. The acceptance of love. Love is a heavy word but I believe it's possible for two adults to identify what is eternal and what is a one night stand.

You can not BAN love. So you can not BAN marriage.

Homosexuality is depravity? How so?

Love is described in the bible, marrige is not there because you can give love to anyone. That does not mean everyone can be "in love."

PROVE IT.

Unless you feel it, you can not say otherwise.

That is a dangerous and disrespectful thing to say about God. I am a sinner, I have done what is hurtful. What I feel does not a mount to more than a mustard seed when compared to the mountain range that God has to offer.

I love how people assume that.

Remember that each of them were a single race too. By saying "well God made us THIS way" you're being just as racist as you are saying homosexuality is wrong.

Also, BAFRIEND, how is it morally corrupt. NO ONE EVER ANSWERS THIS. With the exception of the Bible and some vague generalizations you use to ATTACK homosexuality (which aren't even true BTW) you have NO reason for homosexuality to be wrong. But you're too proud to admit it.

Not everyone wants to commit adultry in their life that does not mean it is right for the people that do. You are spitting on everything that God has told us.

Upvote 0

david_x

Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
My reasoning is that I don't believe in things that contradict reality around me. For me, believing that homosexuality is wrong, would be like believing that the computer in front of me doesn't exist.

It is not like that at all, you meant to say that using your computer would be wrong. The reason that you are so confused is that you think you can see reality. Our "reality" is an illution. Everything that God tells us has to do with reality as it actually is.

Reactions: Miracle Storm
Upvote 0

david_x

Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Just an example. Matthew says mountainside, Luke says level place, one of them must be wrong. What difference does it make whether he taught on a hill or not? The lesson is what is important, not the classroom. This is what confuses me- when the teachings of Christ get lost in the packaging.

Three blind men felt the same thing. One compared the nose to a rope. One compared the legs to tree trunks. One compared the skin to sandpaper. It was still an elephant, and they were all right.

Upvote 0

PinkTulip

Dec 12, 2005
Ontario
✟16,223.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Sexual sin is still a sin and it was discussed in the NT. You cannot deny that. Read Acts 15 which was referring to the OT laws on sexual sin (i.e, homosexuality, adultery, etc etc.) I have stated this over and over and not a single person has disputed it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brieuse

Veteran
Mar 15, 2007
Randburg, South Africa
Visit site
✟9,503.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Sexual sin is still a sin and it was discussed in the NT. You cannot deny that. Read Acts 15 which was referring to the OT laws on sexual sin (i.e, homosexuality, adultery, etc etc.) I have stated this over and over and not a single person has disputed it.
referring to this?

Act 15:20
But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and [from] fornication, and [from] things strangled, and [from] blood.

Upvote 0

teen4jesus92

Waiting is the hardest part
Jan 8, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟16,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When something contradicts current societal standards, we tend to run away from it and turn towards Humanism. Very sad.

Yes, very sad. I just don't understand how we won't just read our Bibles and do what they say (or not so what they say not to do). Everyone slips up, and I acknowldege that - but repeatedly living in sin is not just "slip up".

If the Bible were a contradictory piece of material, why would God give it to us??

As I said before (and I stand by this), God does not contradict Himself. Can one person deny this?

If the Bible is from God it is error free. If it contradicts itself and is in error, than it is not from God.

:amen: The Bible does not contradict it's self.
God does not contradcit Himself.
Either the Bible is from God and error-free (infallible) or it not from God and full of errors (fallible). It cannot have one single error (like saying that homosexuality is wrong, if it isn't) and still be from God. :)

Christianity isn't about the Bible and I'm offended you and Tulip would try to say we're anything like those sorts of Atheists. Especially when your attitudes are so much closer.

You won't believe anything you can't see on paper. Why not try exercising COMPLETE faith. Like I've said, the Bible is a wonderful book. But I'm not going to give my soul to a book.

WOAH! Stop! Without the Bible I hold in my hands, I wouldn't even BE a Christian!
And I am a Christian, and I chose to be a Christian at the age of 12.
I have always lived in a Christian home, and when I was 6, I asked Jesus into my heart at the prodding of the Holy Spirit (and my mother! :D ). But it was at the age of 12 I came to accept Christ as mine, not as my parents'. But I couldn't have done it without reading my Bible.
God doesn't speak to me audibly. He speaks to me through people (who read the Bible), songs (by Christian artists), and His Word (the Bible). The Bible means so much to me. I don't know how Christianity cannot be about the Bible. :confused:

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How?
Most kids aren't Christians at 2 or 3 years old.
When did you learn to read? :)
I was raised in the church. My parents certainly did not wait until I was literate to teach me of the love of Christ.

Upvote 0

teen4jesus92

Waiting is the hardest part
Jan 8, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟16,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was raised in the church. My parents certainly did not wait until I was literate to teach me of the love of Christ.

I was, too. But I was not a Christian until I was 6. And I did not turn my faith into my my own (instead of just following my parents) until I was 12.

So, when did you accept Christ as your Savior? You know, confess your sins, ask for forgiveness, accept salvation... I consider that "becoming a Christian". Because living in a Christian home won't get you to heaven. :)

Sorry, I'm going off on a rabbit trail... lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟995,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[SIZE=-1]referring to this?[/SIZE]
Act 15:20
But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and [from] fornication, and [from] things strangled, and [from] blood.

And this,
Acts 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.​
And this,
Acts 21:24 Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.
25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, [keep the law vs. 24] save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.​

Upvote 0

davedjy

Dec 11, 2006
Southern California
✟18,592.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And this,
Acts 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.​
And this,
Acts 21:24 Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.
25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, [keep the law vs. 24] save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.​
There are 10 Commandments, let us not add more.

Upvote 0

PinkTulip

Dec 12, 2005
Ontario
✟16,223.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And this,

And this,
That's it.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟995,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DA said:
And this,

And this,

[SIZE=-1]There are 10 Commandments, let us not add more.[/SIZE]

How do you figure that quoting Acts 15 and 21 is "adding commandments?" These passages are about just the opposite.

Upvote 0