Which ethnic group do you identify with?

simonpeter

Jan 30, 2010
✟16,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Shalom!

What I mean is: even if you're born in a certain ethnic group, you may feel you don't have the traits generally associated with that particular group. Contrarily, you may feel as if you have more in common with other groups than you do with your own. If so, what then are you? Or, more precisely, what then are you not?

Just a fun thread, so no need to 'over analyze' it.;)

Simon

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I think we should remember that people hear ethnicity and immediately think about everything that's been thrown into their genetic heritage instead of the culture they actively participate in, that they retain stories and traditions from.

I'm a blend of German and British culture, to not cause my Grandfather to thwack the back of my head in disgust I should say I identify with being German, it's what my blood family are, it's the culture I should identify with, but I don't. I have aspects of German culture in my life but predominantly I identify with being British, I think of British traditions before German which is largely down to living away from home for so long and being so actively involved in a lot of very British organisations. Guides, the Women's Institute, dressage training, dog training, St.John's ambulance, history club, even the conservation society at university is so immersed in British culture (for what it's worth anyhoot) that I identify strongly with that. My German heritage is something that is there, and I should probably embrace it more, it would make relatives very happy if I stuck with learning German and actively sought to get far more involved in certain aspects that the German community in the UK are keeping alive in their little groups across the country. I don't know, I get really confused because although I do still carry out certain traditions and relay tales I don't feel German. I feel British :o

Is that rambling enough?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it easier to think in English(*) than in my native language.

(*)Do people think in a certain language?

I think they do. I sometimes find it easier to think in Swedish or English then Finnish too LOL... :p

As far as ethnic groups go, I'm often wondering why I'm not a Swedish-speaking Finn. They're much more fun and warmhearted then us "regular people" and easier to get along with - I don't understand why so many of us seem to have such a huge problem with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ProAntiRevolution

Mar 27, 2010
✟2,264.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If my understanding of the evolution of the term is correct it refers to Armenians that survived the genocide while remaining in Armenian, as opposed to many others that fled into neighboring countries. Though in the common vernacular now it's something of a stereotype term along the lines of what guido means to Italians. Of course, I could be totally off base here.

Upvote 0

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm Cajun. I don't really need to go too much into the story about my people because it can be read on the internet.

acadiana%20flag.jpg

Upvote 0

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If my understanding of the evolution of the term is correct it refers to Armenians that survived the genocide while remaining in Armenian, as opposed to many others that fled into neighboring countries. Though in the common vernacular now it's something of a stereotype term along the lines of what guido means to Italians. Of course, I could be totally off base here.

That is exactly it. But, my grandparents were not in Armenia during the Genocide, they were in Turkey (in the small communities of Armenians there) They left during the Genocide (actually forced-killed out). Around the 1930s they came back to Turkey and around 1940'-50's they went to Armenia. So my parents are born and raised there, and so was I.
I can go on and on about the History of Hayastanci's who came back to Armenia. It will fill insane about of pages here. loll.
I just wish so much of it was not destroyed because much of the family history is passed down with letters and what my great-grandparents told us. I don't know much else passed it, because records were not kept by them of our their own family history. Which is understandable and logical.
Now the ones who stayed in the neighboring countries are Beirutahyes, Parskahyes, Lebanahyes, Egyptahyes, etc., etc., etc.

and yes, it has become an extremely annoying stereotype. Though, in some ways, there is truth to it.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Wyomingite. :thumbsup:

My ancestry is a good mix of European: German, French, English, Russian. But culturally, I don't identify with any of them. I suppose I'm the most sympathetic with British because of the literature I enjoy the most and from watching a lot of BBC. My last name is German - recently the Chancellor of Germany had the same name. And I speak a very little German. But culturally I don't identify with them.

I think my ancestors have been American long enough now for me to identify ethnically as an American. And more specifically, with the sub-culture of my home state, Wyoming.

Upvote 0