Which bible version do you prefer and why?

Which bible version do you prefer

• American Standard Version

• Amplified Bible

• English Standard Version

• New American Standard Bible

• New International Reader's Version

• New International Version

• New International Version

• New King James Version

• King James Version

• Other/Not listed

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calluna

Apr 23, 2008
✟17,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
ASV Archaic style. Used as a study Bible in theological institutions in the past because its word order is superior to that of the KJV, but dynamic equivalence can overcome the problem anyway these days.

Amplified Gives lots of shades of meaning, but often fails to shed light with the right one!

ESV Stilted English, successor to the KJV, successor to the Vulgate. For people who don't really like the Bible much. Some horrible heresies, too. Sure to be popular.

NASB The best for study without original languages and expository preaching. Difficult to read for devotional purposes.

NIVR Awful heresies, iirc. Reader type versions seem to be full of the devil's work.

NIV Very popular, so much so that it started the KJVO movement. Translates the way many readers of original languages translate. Has some egregious heresies, but fewer than most.

NRSV Good modern translation of the NT, though somewhat stilted in the OT. Fairly reliable doctrinally.

NKJV Controversial source-text issues aside, this is a likeable version, restrained and generally accurate.

KJV It has its good points, but they are too often hidden beneath the archaisms and errors that make this a version for sentimentalists and antichrists only! Popular with atheists, fundies and newspapers!

NLT Appalling heresy in the original edition, 2nd edition is supposedly better, though I haven't read much of it yet. Good, accessible English, and with the benefits of the latest research.

GNB The first of the popular modern versions, and still the best in many ways. Accessible and with fewer heresies than most. Good for devotions and teaching.

RSV An older but mostly accurate study Bible, still required as a base version in Anglican theological institutions, afaik.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

0-2Continuum

Deus † in adjutórium meum inténde.
Feb 2, 2009
✟7,776.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
None of my favorites were listed.

I like the NRSV, it is the translation I hear at the Liturgy, and I am particularly fond of my Book of Common Prayer & NRSV leather-bound combo. Also the translation featured in most academic writing.

I also like the Revised English Bible (a British translation), colloquial (UK) English and very dignified and poetic. A lovely read for sure!

Third I like the New American Bible (the official translation of the Roman Catholic Church). Simple, plain, and high quality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
there is no limit to how much understanding one can gain

Amen! Calluna, how can I possibly understand your position, your understanding if you do not share it with me. I am a priest not a mind-reader.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
ESV Stilted English, successor to the KJV, successor to the Vulgate. For people who don't really like the Bible much. Some horrible heresies, too. Sure to be popular.
I'm curious why you would make each of the statements in this. I rather like the ESV's English - I much prefer it to the NRSV, I'm not at all sure what you mean by "for people who don't really liek the bible much." And I'm curious what heresies you have in mind.

As literature I like New Jerusalem. For studying I like ESV - I find it a decent compromise on most of the issues and I like the way they tend to translate a given phrase the same way which helps me build connections.

Upvote 0

calluna

Apr 23, 2008
✟17,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Chacun à son goût.

'"When his parents saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, "Child, why have you treated us like this? Look, your father and I have been searching for you in great anxiety."' Luke 2:48 NRSV

'And when his parents saw him, they were astonished. And his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been searching for you in great distress."' Lk 2:48 ESV

'So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, "Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously."' Luke 2:48 NKJV

'When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you."' Lk 2:48 NIV

'His parents were astonished when they saw him, and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been terribly worried trying to find you."' Lk 2:48 GNB

And finally...

'When his parents saw him, they were shocked. His mother asked him, "Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been worried sick looking for you!"' Lk 2:48 ISV/God's Word

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Are you disagreeing with the "his parents" bit? Note that later on in the same verse Mary says to Jesus, "...Behold, your father and I have looked for you..."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kiwimac

Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Behold 'behold', eh.
The 'behold' is there in the Greek as well, "...και ιδοντες αυτον εξεπλαγησαν και ειπεν προς αυτον η μητηρ αυτου τεκνον τι εποιησας ημιν ουτως ιδου ο πατηρ σου καγω οδυνωμενοι εζητουμεν σε ..."

Upvote 0

0-2Continuum

Deus † in adjutórium meum inténde.
Feb 2, 2009
✟7,776.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Behold 'behold', eh.

ummm.....
'behold' is quite a common word in the Bible, both in Hebrew and Greek. We may not use it all that often in English, but it's an appropriate word choice and hardly heresy.

Upvote 0

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The 'behold' is there in the Greek as well, "...και ιδοντες αυτον εξεπλαγησαν και ειπεν προς αυτον η μητηρ αυτου τεκνον τι εποιησας ημιν ουτως ιδου ο πατηρ σου καγω οδυνωμενοι εζητουμεν σε ..."

Exactly. It's actually a marginally better translation of the greek, iirc. Mistranslating the greek isn't something the ESV gang would do much, since they had some of the greatest greek scholars of our time on that team.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.