Mar 30, 2011
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,290.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am just curious to see which Bible translations everyone uses. I tend to use a few, but mostly use the New International Version (NIV) and the Amplified Verision (AMP). There are times I use the New Living Translation (NLT) as well.

God bless,

Pastor Michael

eyeofthestormministries

Eye of the Storm Ministries
Mar 30, 2011
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,290.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I prefer the ESV (English Standard Version) Because it's not as hard to read as the King James and it's a bit more accurate than the NIV

I have never taken a look at the ESV, but may check it out. I enjoy studying various translations.

Upvote 0

HosannaHM

Christian Saved by Grace
Apr 4, 2010
Midwest
✟18,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have never taken a look at the ESV, but may check it out. I enjoy studying various translations.

If you like the NIV and studying a lot you will def. like this translation. Check it out bro!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolvrin704

Doing better than I deserve!
Aug 10, 2010
Cincinnati
✟7,750.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I used to be very loyal to using the NIV, and I do still use it but I have found myself going to other versions because I like they way they say a scripture or its easier to understand. As a children's pastor this is especially important as sometimes kids have a hard time understanding the word.
Right now I'm rocking the ESV and NCV.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2011
Sheffield, UK
✟15,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In our prayer meetings we use the NIV(UK) exclusively for our lessons and for quotations during prayer. We talked at length about switching to the revised KJV before deciding against it because we're familiar with the NIV(UK).

I believe it is fair to say this: every translation that attempts to be true to the word has its advantages, not least of which being the translation's particular style differing from others. However at our informal gatherings during the week we often refer to other versions and usually we have three or four different translations around the table to get a broader view of God's Word. In my own personal experience, one can never have too many strings in ones bow when it comes to attempting to interpret the divine.

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I prefer the NKJV for reading, study and teaching. Although most people I know read either the NIV or the NLT.

I recommend the NIV to people, even though I have a lot of problems with it. Or rather, problems with the editorial committee. And I absolutely abhor paraphrases like The Message and The Living Bible, and by extension the New Living "Translation."

I don't want to sound like some kind of KJV Only guy, because I'm not. The KJV has its transnational issues, it's just that after 400 years those issues are all well documented. NKJV has some, too. So does NIV. After 40 years the ones in NKJV & NIV are fairly well documented now, too.

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A new church is launching in my town this spring, and they are starting cell group meetings in people's homes prior to the launch. I will be participating in one of the cell groups, and I offered to buy 10 bibles to use as loaners or give-aways for people who come to the cell group without a bible. I asked the pastor what version he uses when he teaches on Sundays. He said he uses the New Living Translation.

I honestly don't think I can do it. I don't think I can bring myself to buying 10 NLT bibles, and I know I can't bring myself to giving an NTL bible to a new believer who doesn't own any other bible.

I think I'll buy 10 NKJVs, and if the pastor asks then I'll just say "Sorry."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I basically don't use any of the versions discussed so far in this thread. (I don't have the ESV at all.)

Here is a post I wrote yesterday in another subforum, read it!:
I bring my slowest (although not oldest) laptop which is also the largest, with Windows 7 SP1 and 15.6" monitor, not touch but the touchpad works. I've set it to throttle the CPU to 5-20% of the Hz to save the battery. I use it in the bus and train to and from the Church as well. It's an Anglican parish. The building is old so there's no 230 Volt electricity socket while attending the Mass, but there is in the cafeteria behind the piano which I have to move a little bit.
As for which versions: I use RSV New Testament, Revised English Bible, NRSV New Testament, NRSV Sirach, NJB, plus a print 2004 3rd Edition Good New Translation (the NT is the 6th Edition) and a print NABRE for many parts of the 38-book Old Testament since it's the most recent Bible I've been using for a while.
I use Accordance 32-bit, Libronix/Logos 3 32-bit and Verbum 32-bit on the 64-bit Windows system when attending Church. I haven't updated on this machine (but have bought the new version) since the new version of Logos and Verbum would consume more battery. Sometimes I have Libronix/Logos 3 only open, in it I use NRSV for the New Testament and NJB for the entire Old Testament including Deuterocanonicals along with what I mentioned in the above post I quoted.

When I arrive at home I check against the 8-version parallel print Apocrypha if they've preached from the Deuterocanonicals, but that is if other than Sirach. It has the Greek as well (which I have on all computers as well of course). I'll also make a note that I have to check books that I have and forthcoming books: https://verbum.com/product/47117/de-gruyter-deuterocanonical-and-cognate-literature-studies
... when not there, I don't use the NRSV for other than Sirach and parts of 1 Mc. For the rest of 1 Mc I use the New English Translation of the Septuagint (NETS) and Revised English Bible.

The 1971 2nd Edition RSV New Testament is the one I use for the most serious New Testament study such as GJn. I have all the tools for it documenting the New Testament, many times in comparison with other versions and usually the Greek (I have a Reverse Interlinear of course, thoroughly grammatically annotated) or how to convey it in English. I also have English dictionaries in order to understand the mid-20th century English perfectly.

Many times I use print Bibles for the 38-book Old Testament, as well as for some books I use the New English Translation of the Septuagint (NETS, it's not at all the same as NET. In Accordance Bible Study software) and the Göttingen Septuagint (which I only have on my oldest laptop) and the 2006 Septuagint by Hanhart (which I have on two good computers). I haven't bought for example the NABRE in Bible Study software.

For Gn I use the version in Torah - A Modern Commentary (the version for Gn is not available as standalone neither in print nor in any Bible Study software).
For Ps 4 I use JB (when not reading it from a computer I use the 1975 Bible In Order Edition of the JB for it).
For Zephaniah 3:9 I use the NRSV.
For Mt 1:18-17:6 I use the Catholic Public Domain Version (CPDV) with about 90 corrections from the latest Greek Editions, NJB, RSV, as well as Fire of Mercy Heart of the Word by Leiva-Merikakis and Hermeneia by Ulrich Luz.
For GJn 1:18 I use the original International Critical Commentary from 1928 or 1929 by Bernard.
For Ro I use Paideia New Testament Commentaries (in Logos as well as printed matter paperback).
For 1 Cor I usually use Paideia New Testament Commentaries by Pheme Perkins, the 2004 6th Edition Good News Translation UK-English and the 1993 Baker New Testament Commentary by Kistemaker (not to be confused with Baker Exegetical which I don't have and don't want).
For 2 Cor 1-7 I use the current International Critical Commentary by Margaret E. Thrall from 1997.
For Gal I use the Revised English Bible.
For Eph I use the Anchor Yale Bible Commentary by Markus Barth.
For Col I use all I have plus I'm wanting to get New Testament Library by Sumney.
For 1 Thess I use the Revised English Bible.
For Philemon I use the Eerdmans Critical Commentary by Markus Barth.
For 1 Jn I use New Testament Library by Judith M. Lieu.

When reading a devotional on either of my identical tablets I look up all the Old Testament references from the Revised English Bible, including the Deuterocanonicals.

Explanation of abbreviations: RSV = Revised Standard Version, JB = Jerusalem Bible, NJB = New Jerusalem Bible, Gn = Genesis, GJn = The Gospel of John.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul says, "I have become all things to all men," in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23. So, I see it can be good to have a Bible which is like to whichever people are reading.

So, to have a Bible which is close "enough" to the earlier King James, but also is up-to-date in English like New International and other recent versions . . . I use the New King James.

And God's example of how He is in love, in me, helps make the Bible clear, plus I have Jesus people who are examples who help me get more real with God and in loving any and all people. So, my most helpful commentary is how God does His word within me and my life, and how His examples live and help me.

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I will preach in English, but I'm not in an English speaking country - so Church-goers over here don't necessarily have the versions that are common in the US, nor some of the ones used in the UK such as the REB. I have the NIV84 and NIV11 in Accordance but neither one in Logos/Verbum. Many of the versions I have in Logos/Verbum I will never buy as printed matter both because I don't like them and because of the cost (such as shipping).
I mentioned commentaries based on from which commentaries I use the English Bible translation:
So, I see it can be good to have a Bible which is like to whichever people are reading.
[...]
So, my most helpful commentary is how God does His word within me and my life, and how His examples live and help me.

In my lengthy post I forgot to mention that I use the CEB for Mt 6:9-13 only. It's the Lord's Prayer (there's another version of the prayer elsewhere in the Gospels but I don't use the CEB for that nor for any other Bible passage).

I'm currently discussing English Bible versions at: The Bible Version I use. Feeling lost about the OT. - General Accordance Topics

Upvote 0