Which baptism is the "one baptism" of Christianity?

TLSITD

Conservative Christian
Apr 26, 2020
Tennessee
✟22,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ephesians 4:4-6 reads

There is one body and one Spirit---just as you were called to one hope when you were called---one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

And in Luke 3:16 John the baptizer says,
"I baptize you with water. But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire."

I think most non-Catholics would agree that water baptism doesn't save a person and that it is the baptism of the Holy Spirit that saves one, which spiritual baptism every believer receives when he or she is born again (having been buried with Him in baptism and raised with Him through your faith in the power of God, who raised Him from the dead. Colossians 2:12) .

What then is the purpose of water baptism? For Jews it was a symbolic ritual representing a desire for a good conscience toward God and repentance from sins. Jesus' disciples and the early Christians practiced the same ritual. Yet we have no instructions in the NT for how to water baptize or any command to perform or partake in the ritual.

Some believe that Christ sent the apostles to baptize people with water as a part of their evangelistic commission. But if there is only one baptism that saves, why would He? The two are obviously not one and the same.

The apostle Paul water baptized a few people, but he said that Christ did not send him to baptize but rather to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:13-17), through which those who hear and believe are baptized by the Spirit.

Why would the man who was arguably the greatest apostle not have been sent by Christ to water baptize if water baptism was an important or necessary part of Christianity, and if Jesus had indeed sent His other apostles to water baptize?

I am one Christian who believes that water baptism is an obsolete Jewish ritual that was carried over into Christianity for a time in the early days of the faith for its symbolic spiritual significance but which God didn't intend for Christians to continue and which is not necessary or important to administer or to partake in.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

There is one body and one Spirit---just as you were called to one hope when you were called---one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

"I baptize you with water. But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire."

I think most non-Catholics would agree that water baptism doesn't save a person and that it is the baptism of the Holy Spirit that saves one, which spiritual baptism every believer receives when he or she is born again (having been buried with Him in baptism and raised with Him through your faith in the power of God, who raised Him from the dead. Colossians 2:12) .

What then is the purpose of water baptism? For Jews it was a symbolic ritual representing a desire for a good conscience toward God and repentance from sins. Jesus' disciples and the early Christians practiced the same ritual. Yet we have no instructions in the NT for how to water baptize or any command to perform or partake in the ritual.

Some believe that Christ sent the apostles to baptize people with water as a part of their evangelistic commission. But if there is only one baptism that saves, why would He? The two are obviously not one and the same.

The apostle Paul water baptized a few people, but he said that Christ did not send him to baptize but rather to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:13-17), through which those who hear and believe are baptized by the Spirit.

Why would the man who was arguably the greatest apostle not have been sent by Christ to water baptize if water baptism was an important or necessary part of Christianity, and if Jesus had indeed sent His other apostles to water baptize?

I am one Christian who believes that water baptism is an obsolete Jewish ritual that was carried over into Christianity for a time in the early days of the faith for its symbolic spiritual significance but which God didn't intend for Christians to continue and which is not necessary or important to administer or to partake in.
John's baptism was the shadow baptism that was fulfilled with the baptism in the Holy Spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: TLSITD
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

He says that other people did the baptism.

Jesus told us to do it: Matthew 28:19.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The one baptism of Ephesians 4 is the Sacrament of Christian Baptism, which is always done using water in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit in accordance with the word and command of Jesus Christ. Through Baptism we are born again of God, receive the Holy Spirit, the forgiveness of sins, are joined together to Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection, having been buried with Him, clothed with Him. All these things being the glorious work of God alone, for us, that we might, by the grace of God alone, through faith, receive and be appropriated to us the perfect, finished, once-and-for-all atoning work of Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you are water baptized only, you are not in the Kingdom of God. If you are Holy Spirit Baptized then you are in His Kingdom aka the Body of Christ. If you have both, then there is no argument no matter what denomination you are in.
Be blessed and stay healthy!

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,042.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He says that other people did the baptism.

Jesus told us to do it: Matthew 28:19.

If you believed Matthew 28 is for you, he also told you to teach obedience to all he commanded to do.

And if you read the entire gospel account in Matthew, it included obedience to the Law of Moses. (Mattthew 5:17-19)

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have both, and I still get in a lot of arguments.

In Hebrews 6:2, BAPTISMS is rendered plural in many versions, and I don't know if that is a reference to John's vs Spirit Baptism or not.

I don't think obedience to Law of Moses is still in effect.

I eat shrimp and crawfish and ham. I have never boiled a young goat in it's mother's milk, but would not consider it a sin.

• Agree
Reactions: TLSITD
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I myself believe Baptism is efficacious unto Salvation, so the one Baptism is Water Baptism. As the Lord says in Mark 16:16 "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned." GNT. Without Baptism one can not be saved

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Elisha McFarland

May 7, 2020
Saint Albans
Visit site
✟8,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Regardless of which baptism it is (infant or salvation-based, I believe in the latter), baptism is an extremely NT concept and is most certainly in affect today, for good reason.

• Agree
Reactions: Tra Phull
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you are water baptized only, you are not in the Kingdom of God. If you are Holy Spirit Baptized then you are in His Kingdom aka the Body of Christ. If you have both, then there is no argument no matter what denomination you are in.
Be blessed and stay healthy!

While I agree that if you are water baptized only, you are not in the Kingdom of God. Water baptism is a symbolic act that means that you have died to your old way of life and emerged as a new person in Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

TLSITD

Conservative Christian
Apr 26, 2020
Tennessee
✟22,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
While I agree that if you are water baptized only, you are not in the Kingdom of God. Water baptism is a symbolic act that means that you have died to your old way of life and emerged as a new person in Christ.
I understand the symbolism. My point was only about the relevance and necessity of water baptism as a part of Christian practice according to NT doctrine.

I don't personally have any objection to people getting water baptized for the reason you mentioned, and I don't believe that God does either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I myself believe Baptism is efficacious unto Salvation, so the one Baptism is Water Baptism. As the Lord says in Mark 16:16 "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned." GNT. Without Baptism one can not be saved

Certainly this passage raises a very grave question over the salvation of those who refuse to be baptised.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you believed Matthew 28 is for you, he also told you to teach obedience to all he commanded to do.

And if you read the entire gospel account in Matthew, it included obedience to the Law of Moses. (Mattthew 5:17-19)
Which means circumcision is included in that case.

Gentiles were never under the law of Moses and never will be under the law of Moses. That is why Gentiles are not circumcised.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Certainly this passage raises a very grave question over the salvation of those who refuse to be baptised.
1 Peter 3:21
Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Reactions: Ronit
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Water baptism is not essential for the experience of being born again. Not being baptised won't send you to hell. However, it has great spiritual value. You will find no occasion where the gospel was preached without the new believers being baptised. The word "baptise" literally means to immerse.

The Christian life is not just forgiveness of sin. It is new life. The cross kills the old life that we receive from Adam. What do you do with a dead person? You bury them. That is what baptism signifies. When we rise from the water, it represents arising from the grave. We are declaring that we have passed from death to new life. It is an outward confession of an inward experience.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You will find no occasion where the gospel was preached without the new believers being baptised.

Because Jesus commanded it. Part of following Jesus is to obey His commands.

Upvote 0