Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Umm no... Lazarus was a common Jewish name of the day... and probably had little to nothing to do with the Lazarus which God raised from the dead. Two different people... like I know more than one John (like me :D) but just because I say a parable about John... that doesn't mean that I'm talking about myself.

About where he actually was... I'll have to get around to that... I think "Sheol" would be right... or "grave"

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What my Bible says about Sheol in the Lexical aid in the back:

"depth, abyss, the netherworld, the realm of dead pople, the world of the dead (like a subterranean retreat), the final resting place of everyone (Job21:13), the grave, the pit; Hades; hell . . . Both good men (Gen 37:35) and evil men (Num 16:30) go there. In fact, the omnipotent God brings people there (1 Sam 2:6) . . ."

Which would then mean that Lazarus had to be in "Sheol" for the duration of the 4 days.

Upvote 0

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
sbbqb7n16 said:
Umm no... Lazarus was a common Jewish name of the day... and probably had little to nothing to do with the Lazarus which God raised from the dead. Two different people... like I know more than one John (like me :D) but just because I say a parable about John... that doesn't mean that I'm talking about myself.

'cept Jesus did not give the people in His parables names.

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He did in this one... and His friend Lazarus was not a beggar at the gate of a rich man either...

Luke*16:20 "And a poor man named Lazarus was laid at his gate, covered with sores,

John*11:1 Now a certain man was sick, Lazarus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha.
John*11:2 It was the Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped His feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
The point of the parable was if you don't believe the law and the prophets you will not believe someone raised from the dead. Lazarus proves that instead of wanting to listen to him they want to kill him. Just as Our Lord indicated in the parable, so it was in real life.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
sbbqb7n16 said:
Luke*16:20 "And a poor man named Lazarus was laid at his gate, covered with sores,

John*11:1 Now a certain man was sick, Lazarus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha.
John*11:2 It was the Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped His feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.

Not sure how these are mutually exclusive.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Luke 16:22, And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

(23) And in hell he lift up his eyes,

Seems to me pretty clear cut and dry!

John 11:35, Jesus wept

Why did jesus cry? Because Lazarus's family was a God fearing, righteous bunch who followed the way of the Lord and Jesus knew they were hurting. It's true that the moral of the story doesn't have anything to do with where Lazarus was in the days he was dead but that why did Jesus feel compelled to come.

John 11:4., When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby. This is the true reason why Jesus went.

Now in John 11:14 jesus says "Lazarus is dead" But I believe this is only referring to the first death and that being of our flesh. Lazarus's soul, I believe, lived on and that is where the Luke 16 passage comes into play. Lazarus was either in Abraham's bossom or in hell. Now if you feel it necesary to judge were Lazarus was please only do so feeling in comfort with your choice but I believe he was in one of the two!

Basically the question Never2Heavy asked is a judgment call that none of us should answer, at least in this circumstance.

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Philip said:
Not sure how these are mutually exclusive.
Well, the way I'm readin it, the Lazarus in the story was a beggar who lived for a long time with sores on his body outside the gate of a rich man. But Lazarus (the raised one) lived with his two sisters and was only short before his death that he became sick. So if one Lazarus from the parable was a sick beggar living outside the gate of a rich man's house, and the other is a person living under the care of his two sisters who died shortly after contracting an illness, then the two can't be one in the same.

And at the time Jesus gave the parable, Lazarus brother of Martha and Mary was still alive.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.