Aug 27, 2006
✟7,627.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greetings.
I have a question.
Where was Jesus after he died on the cross?
They placed His body in the tomb, but where was His spirit? He is resurrected with His body. When does His spirit rejoin His body?
Is this mentioned at all in the Bible? If it is, where?
I hope I don't sound too stupid for asking this.....
Thanks!

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings.
I have a question.
They placed His body in the tomb, but where was His spirit? He is resurrected with His body. When does His spirit rejoin His body?
Thanks!

No, it's actually a very good question.

The idea here is: God is eternal. God became a man. That God/Man is Jesus. God (Jesus) died. So what happened to His eternality? In other words, where did His divinity go when His human nature died?

"God raised Him up, ending the pains of death, because it was not possible for Him to be held by it." (Act 2:24 HCSB)

The pains of death? Hmmmmm...

Upvote 0

elf_lady_9

the book loving Elven Calvinist
Mar 13, 2006
in a house in a city in a state in a country on an
✟16,278.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Greetings.
I have a question.
Thanks!

hi blueclearsky:wave:
after Jesus died on the cross, His "spirit" went to Hell. in order to fully pay for our sins, Jesus had to suffer the full punishment for sin, which included going to Hell just as sinful humans would have had to. but because He was perfect and had never sinned, He did not have to remain in Hell. Christ defeated Death and rose again. after appearing to the disciples, He(his spirit and His human body) went up to Heaven to be with God the Father, and He is still there now. the Bible tells us that Jesus is sitting at the right hand of God. hope that helps,

Bethany:)

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
after Jesus died on the cross, His "spirit" went to Hell. in order to fully pay for our sins, Jesus had to suffer the full punishment for sin, which included going to Hell just as sinful humans would have had to. but because He was perfect and had never sinned, He did not have to remain in Hell. Christ defeated Death and rose again. after appearing to the disciples, He(his spirit and His human body) went up to Heaven to be with God the Father, and He is still there now. the Bible tells us that Jesus is sitting at the right hand of God. hope that helps,

Hell, according to the Bible, is the grave. It's not some place where lost sinners who have died are burning in flames.

For the truth on hell: http://amazingfacts.org/items/Read_Media.asp?ID=667

Upvote 0

seanHayden

Aug 29, 2006
✟15,956.00
Faith
Christian

elf_lady_9

Jesus did not go into hell--no, this is not right.

I once arrived at the same conclusion on my own, after reading and thinking over certain scripture I too came to the conclusion that Jesus went into hell. However, this was simply a misunderstanding on my part--but an important one!

I cant post links yet, so just type, "did Jesus go to hell" in google for some counter points.

I will find more sources for you. The idea itself was pushed ( much ) later in Christianity--a certain pastor helped push this idea, I will find his name to.

Anyway, I encourage you to consider this belief further and to do more research.

Upvote 0

Morghaine

Studying
Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2006
Ozark MO
✟63,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've also read commentary that Jesus went to preach the gospel to those already dead...I offer the following scriptures to add to our discussion (which I think is great - great question - did your question possibly come about by reading the Apostle's creed?):

Matthew 12:38-41
Acts 2:22-32
Romans 10:7
Ephesians 4:7-10
1Peter 3:18-20
1Peter 4:6

What do these scriptures say to us?

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've also read commentary that Jesus went to preach the gospel to those already dead...

Really? Does it really make sense that Christ would do this?

To what purpose would it avail the dead for Christ to preach the gospel to them when their fate has already been sealed?

"And just as it is appointed for people to die once--and after this, judgment--" (Heb 9:27 HCSB)

For the truth about the state of the dead: http://www.amazingfacts.org/items/Read_Media.asp?ID=643

By the way, this study also contains an explanation for 1Pt. 3:18-20

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 27:52,53 says that many tombs opened and the godly were resurrected and were seen by many people when Jesus gave up His spirit. Were these the people who believed before Jesus came?
1Peter 3:19 says Jesus went and preached to the spirits in prison. Was this Hell?

Did you click on the links I provided and read the studies on this mater?

Upvote 0

blueclearsky

Aug 27, 2006
✟7,627.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did look them up in my Bible. Which was confusing, because I have a NLT version and it said Jesus went to Hell. Which in my understanding was the flaming place where Satan is. But I Googled "Did Jesus go to Hell?" and came across a really good explanation of this question that came from a standpoint of what the actual translations are of Hebrew and Greek. (Sheol (sp?) and Hades) That those words mean the place of the dead, not the flaming, demonic place that is the ring of fire.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did look them up in my Bible. Which was confusing, because I have a NLT version and it said Jesus went to Hell. Which in my understanding was the flaming place where Satan is. But I Googled "Did Jesus go to Hell?" and came across a really good explanation of this question that came from a standpoint of what the actual translations are of Hebrew and Greek. (Sheol (sp?) and Hades) That those words mean the place of the dead, not the flaming, demonic place that is the ring of fire.

That's right. Hell is merely the grave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ROGER459

Aug 30, 2006
✟798.00
Faith
Christian
(Ephesians 4:7-to-10) But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
(Eph 4:8) Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
(Eph 4:9) (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
(Eph 4:10) He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

(1Peter 3:18-19) For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
(1Pe 3:19) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

(Luke 16:22-to-26) And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
(Luk 16:23) And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
(Luk 16:24) And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
(Luk 16:25) But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
(Luk 16:26) And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

(Isaiah 5:14) Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.

PRIOR to Christ's Resruction, there was a place called, Abrahams Bosom. That was where the Righteous Dead were.

AFTER Christ Resurection, the place called Abrahams Bosom no longer exsisted, for the OT Saints, i.e. Their SPIRITS went with Christ to Heaven.

NOW hell has enlarged to take the place of Abrahams Bosom as the above Scripture speaks to.

BUT, both Hell and Death, will both be in the Lake of Fire = see Revelation 20:14 and unlike the Lie of HOLLYWOOD [Meet Joe Black] death is not our Friend!

Thanks, Roger459

Upvote 0

PETE_

Count as lost, every moment not spent loving God
Jun 11, 2006
✟212,561.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 27:52,53 says that many tombs opened and the godly were resurrected and were seen by many people when Jesus gave up His spirit. Were these the people who believed before Jesus came?
1Peter 3:19 says Jesus went and preached to the spirits in prison. Was this Hell?
27:51-53 (Mark 15:38; Luke 23:44-45). At the time of Jesus’ death, three momentous events occurred. First, the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. This curtain separated the holy place from the holy of holies in the temple (Heb. 9:2-3). The fact that this occurred from top to bottom signified that God is the One who ripped the thick curtain. It was not torn from the bottom by men ripping it. God was showing that the way of access into His presence was now available for everyone, not simply the Old Testament high priest (Heb. 4:14-16; 10:19-22).
Second, at Christ’s death a strong earthquake occurred, splitting rocks (Matt. 27:51). Truly the death of Christ was a powerful, earthshaking event with repercussions affecting even the creation. A third event mentioned was recorded only by Matthew. The tombs of many holy (righteous) people (v. 52) were opened, probably at a Jerusalem cemetery. The NIV suggests that these saints were resurrected when Jesus died and then went into Jerusalem after Jesus’ resurrection. A number of commentators agree with this view. Many others, however, say that since Christ is the firstfruits of the dead (1 Cor. 15:23), their resurrection did not occur till He was raised. In this view, the phrase “after Jesus’ resurrection” goes with the words were raised to life and came out of the tombs. This is possible in the Greek, and is suggested in the KJV and the NASB. The tombs, then, broke open at Christ’s death, probably by the earthquake, thus heralding Christ’s triumph in death over sin, but the bodies were not raised till Christ was raised.
These people returned to Jerusalem, (the Holy City) where they were recognized by friends and family. Like Lazarus (John 11:43-44), Jairus’ daughter (Luke 8:52-56), and the widow of Nain’s son (Luke 7:13-15), they too passed through physical death again. Or some say they may have been raised with glorified bodies like the Lord’s. Walvoord suggests this event was “a fulfillment of the Feast of the Firstfruits of harvest mentioned in Leviticus 23:10-14. On that occasion, as a token of the coming harvest, the people would bring a handful of grain to the priest. The resurrection of these saints, occurring after Jesus Himself was raised, is a token of the coming harvest when all the saints will be raised”​
http://www.christianforums.com/t3324985-where-was-jesus.html#_ftn5

Upvote 0

PETE_

Jun 11, 2006
✟212,561.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
3:19-20. Through whom . . . He . . . preached to the spirits in prison has been subject to many interpretations. Some believe Peter here referred to the descent of Christ’s Spirit into hades between His death and resurrection to offer people who lived before the Flood a second chance for salvation. However, this interpretation has no scriptural support.
Others have said this passage refers to Christ’s descent into hell after His crucifixion to proclaim His victory to the imprisoned fallen angels referred to in 2 Peter 2:4-5, equating them with “the sons of God” Moses wrote about (Gen. 6:1-2). Though much commends this view as a possible interpretation, the context seems more likely to be referring to humans rather than angels.
The “spirits” (pneumasin, a term usually applied to supernatural beings but also used at least once to refer to human “spirits”; cf. Heb. 12:23) are described in 1 Peter 3:20 as those who were disobedient when God waited patiently for Noah to finish building the ark. They had rebelled against the message of God during the 120 years the ark was being built. God declared He would not tolerate people’s wickedness forever, but would extend His patience for only 120 more years (Gen. 6:3). Since the entire human race except Noah (Gen. 6:5-9) was evil, God determined to “wipe mankind . . . from the face of the earth.” The “spirits” referred to in 1 Peter 3:20 are probably the souls of the evil human race that existed in the days of Noah. Those “spirits” are now “in prison” awaiting the final judgment of God at the end of the Age.
The problem remains as to when Christ preached to these “spirits.” Peter’s explanation of the resurrection of Christ (3:18) “by the Spirit” brought to mind that the preincarnate Christ was actually in Noah, ministering through him, by means of the Holy Spirit. Peter (1:11) referred to the “Spirit of Christ” in the Old Testament prophets. Later he described Noah as “a preacher of righteousness” (2 Peter 2:5). The Spirit of Christ preached through Noah to the ungodly humans who, at the time of Peter’s writing, were “spirits in prison” awaiting final judgment.
This interpretation seems to fit the general theme of this section (1 Peter 3:13-22)—keeping a good conscience in unjust persecution. Noah is presented as an example of one who committed himself to a course of action for the sake of a clear conscience before God, though it meant enduring harsh ridicule. Noah did not fear men but obeyed God and proclaimed His message. Noah’s reward for keeping a clear conscience in unjust suffering was the salvation of himself and his family, who were saved through water, being brought safely through the Flood.​
http://www.christianforums.com/t3324985-where-was-jesus.html#_ftn2

Upvote 0

PETE_

Jun 11, 2006
✟212,561.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Luke 23:39-43
39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Christ? Save yourself and us!”
40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.c”
43 Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”​
http://www.christianforums.com/t3324985-where-was-jesus.html&page=2#_ftn2c Some manuscripts come with your kingly power

http://www.christianforums.com/t3324985-where-was-jesus.html&page=2#_ftnref2The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 . Zondervan: Grand Rapids

The word paradise (Gk. paradeisos) occurs in only three instances in the NT (Lk. 23:43; 2 Cor. 12:3; Rev. 2:7). The context shows that the predominating sense is that of the later development of the word. In Lk. 23:43 the word ‘paradise’ is used by Jesus for the place where souls go immediately after death, cf. the concealed paradise in later Jewish thought. The same idea is also present in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus (Lk. 16:19–31).
In 2 Cor. 12:2–4 Paul wrote in the third person of his experience of being caught up into paradise where he heard unspeakable words (Gk. arrhēta rhēmata). In this case paradise is the ‘third *heaven‘ with its glory, perhaps the same as in Lk. 23. The only place where paradise is used in an eschatological sense is in Rev. 2:7. The promise is made by Christ that he will give paradise as a gift to the one who overcomes. The present paradise will come in its full glory with the final consummation. The idea of a garden of God in the world to come is strongly emphasized in the last chapters of Revelation. The symbols of the tree of life, of life-giving water, and of the twelve kinds of fruit are all witnesses to the glory of the coming paradise (Rev. 22). f.c.f.
http://www.christianforums.com/t3324985-where-was-jesus.html&page=2#_ftn5

ABRAHAM’S BOSOM. A figure of speech used by Jesus in the parable of *Lazarus and Dives (Lk. 16:22 23), illustrating ‘the great gulf fixed’ between the bliss of paradise and the misery of Hades (cf. Mt. 8:11–12). The dead Lazarus is portrayed as reclining next to Abraham at the feast of the blessed, after the Jewish manner, which brought the head of one person almost into the bosom of the one who sat above him, and placed the most favoured guest in such a relation to his host (e.g. Jn. 13:23). To sit in Abraham’s bosom, in Talmudic language, was to enter *Paradise (cf. 4 Macc. 13:17). Such Oriental imagery should not be regarded as evidence of Jewish belief in an interim state. http://www.christianforums.com/t3324985-where-was-jesus.html&page=2#_ftn2

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.