Where was Jesus while He was dead for three days?

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ive been wondering
where or what Jesus did when He was dead for three days. Where was His Spirit?
Considering God=Jesus, & as such God managed rightly to
get Himself conceived as a human-baby, obviously God's Spirit wasn't 'dead' for 3 days.
God, as the CREATOR therefore is also more than capable of taking on any other form, including resurrecting the 'dead'-body, that He as God inhabited.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not denying plain scriptures. I'm just saying that before what you said happened, he went down to hell first.

Well yes you are denying plain scripture with that conclusion.

Luk 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

The scripture plainly says that after Jesus had said those words his spirit left him. This is what happens later.

Luk 23:52 This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
Luk 23:53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.

Here Jesus' body is still on the cross. His spirit immediately left him after he spoke those words and it is because the spirit left him that he died. It is the same thing that happened to Steven.

Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
Act 7:60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Just like Jesus, Steven spirit left him and he feel sleep or died.

Upvote 0

NuPreacher

Married to Godchaser_70
Nov 25, 2010
Tulsa
✟8,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well yes you are denying plain scripture with that conclusion.

Luk 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

The scripture plainly says that after Jesus had said those words his spirit left him. This is what happens later.

Luk 23:52 This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
Luk 23:53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.

Here Jesus' body is still on the cross. His spirit immediately left him after he spoke those words and it is because the spirit left him that he died. It is the same thing that happened to Steven.

Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
Act 7:60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Just like Jesus, Steven spirit left him and he feel sleep or died.
Then you are denying this scripture:

Matthew 12:40
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then you are denying this scripture:

Matthew 12:40
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

No I am not. Your misconception of what the spirit really is, is where your misunderstanding is coming from. I was the one saying from the beginning that Jesus said at his resurrection that he has not yet ascended into heaven. The scripture you post tells us that he was in the earth. That is the fate of man at death.

Psa 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

So me saying that Jesus' spirit returned to God when he died, clearly lines up with scripture. Jesus was a human and had a human body and when he died his body returned to the earth and his spirit returned to God. What is the spirit? It is the breathe of life given to all men which is our life force.

Job 27:3 All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils;
Job 33:4 The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.

Upvote 0

NuPreacher

Married to Godchaser_70
Nov 25, 2010
Tulsa
✟8,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No I am not. Your misconception of what the spirit really is, is where your misunderstanding is coming from. I was the one saying from the beginning that Jesus said at his resurrection that he has not yet ascended into heaven. The scripture you post tells us that he was in the earth. That is the fate of man at death.

Actually, it is you that has the misconception. Do you know what Jesus meant when he said heart of the earth? He was meaning hell. When a person dies his body does indeed go into the ground, but the body doesn't go into the heart of the earth, it goes into a small hole in the ground called a grave. If what you said is true then in the parable of the rich man and lazarus, the both of them would be in the same place.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, it is you that has the misconception. Do you know what Jesus meant when he said heart of the earth? He was meaning hell.

He meant Hades. So lets use the actual Greek. It will help us with the meaning better.

When a person dies his body does indeed go into the ground, but the body doesn't go into the heart of the earth, it goes into a small hole in the ground called a grave.

Actually, many bodies die in the sea. Many folks are cremated. Many folks are placed in tombs. The point is to show that hades or sheol refers to the place of the dead or the grave and it does not have to be a literal grave. It represents any place that dead bodies may be. Jesus went to hades since he was dead. The same place where all dead bodies are. Hell = hades; grave = hades.

If what you said is true then in the parable of the rich man and lazarus, the both of them would be in the same place.

Well you do claim it is a parable, so then why not understand it as such. A parable is not a real life story but a story given to emphasis a specific point. The bible says that the dead know nothing but in the parable both of these men know exactly what is going on on earth. Also in the parable the rich man is in fiery torment yet his tongue , eyes and mouth are in perfect condition and both men are communicating to each other. This should be understood as a parable and what we should get from it is the lesson Jesus was trying to teach and not state of the dead doctrine.

Upvote 0

NuPreacher

Married to Godchaser_70
Nov 25, 2010
Tulsa
✟8,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, many bodies die in the sea. Many folks are cremated. Many folks are placed in tombs. The point is to show that hades or sheol refers to the place of the dead or the grave and it does not have to be a literal grave. It represents any place that dead bodies may be. Jesus went to hades since he was dead. The same place where all dead bodies are. Hell = hades; grave = hades. Actually, many bodies die in the sea. Many folks are cremated. Many folks are placed in tombs. The point is to show that hades or sheol refers to the place of the dead or the grave and it does not have to be a literal grave. It represents any place that dead bodies may be. Jesus went to hades since he was dead. The same place where all dead bodies are. Hell = hades; grave = hades.
I can see that you are carnal just like my brother-in-law Phillip and you just cannot understand spiritual things. In revelation it says that death and hell get thrown into the lake of fire. That does not correlate with what you believe, but it does correlate with what I believe.

Well you do claim it is a parable, so then why not understand it as such. A parable is not a real life story but a story given to emphasis a specific point. The bible says that the dead know nothing but in the parable both of these men know exactly what is going on on earth. Also in the parable the rich man is in fiery torment yet his tongue , eyes and mouth are in perfect condition and both men are communicating to each other. This should be understood as a parable and what we should get from it is the lesson Jesus was trying to teach and not state of the dead doctrine.

A part of the lesson that Jesus was giving was the two different places that the two went to because of the way they acted when they were alive.

Upvote 0

MinisterTony

Nov 13, 2010
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Let me answer this for you. Our bodies, which are of this world, go to the grave. Our spirits don't. They either go to heaven or hell. In the resurrection, our bodies will be changed so that they will be immortal and will not die because our spirits already don't die.

Your comments contradict Scripture!

Can you show me anywhere in the entire Bible where it says the lost spirits go to a hell? Show me and I will eat my Bible.

(Don't bother quoting the Parable of Rich man and Lazarus, because that doesn't teach it)

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your comments contradict Scripture!

Can you show me anywhere in the entire Bible where it says the lost spirits go to a hell? Show me and I will eat my Bible.

(Don't bother quoting the Parable of Rich man and Lazarus, because that doesn't teach it)

He is as hard as stone. Try your best.

Upvote 0

MinisterTony

Nov 13, 2010
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The spirit in man returns to God who gave it.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
Psa 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Lazarus died. His spirit returned to God. When one's spirit returns to God it does not mean another form of existence. Your spirit is not a conscious entity, that is why the bible says the dead knows nothing. When Lazarus was resurrected, he didn't tell of his awesome experience in heaven because he was dead. Jesus' spirit went back to God when he died as the bible says, yet Jesus said that he had not yet ascended into heaven showing that after his death he did not live on in another form of existence.

The spirit is not another form of existence. As humans, we are souls. That is how we are made. That is our form of existence. God is not a soul but a spirit. That is his existence. As we have borne the image of the earthly (Adam, living soul) so we shall bear the image of the heavenly (Jesus, quickening spirit). Until our bodies are changed, we cannot exist as a spirit entity like Jesus. The spirit we have that God gave to us is the breathe of life.

Call me crazy, but I believe I wrote that word by word at a time in the past :) Did you copy and paste that from a website?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MinisterTony

Nov 13, 2010
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That is when he was human. Do you think that Jesus was flesh and bone in the garden of Eden? Do you think Jesus' divine nature is flesh and bone?

I believe Jesus was in the burning bush, but if he was flesh and bones back then he would have burned up :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MinisterTony

Nov 13, 2010
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
i've heard it explained that Christ descended into the underworld in order to minister to the souls trapped there. that even those who had died before the coming of Christ might hear the Good News, respond to it, and be saved.

1 Peter 3:18-20
1 Peter 4:6

You heard a lie from Satan and millions believe that you will get a second chance after death to be saved, very deceptive and dangerous teaching and originated in Satan!

This is why God gave the Parable of Rich man and Lazarus, [Luke 16:19-31]. The necessity of being ready for the day of death and the futility of counting on a 2nd probation, Lost Opportunity and the eternal fixity of mans destiny when life ends.

This was the purpose for the Parable of the Rich man and Lazarus:

A. Abraham's bosom is not heaven (Hebrews 11:8-10,16).
B. People in "hell" can't talk to those in heaven (Isaiah 65:17).
C. The dead are in their graves (Job 17:13; John 5:28,29). The rich man was in bodily form with eyes, a tongue, etc., yet we know that the body does not go to some "hell" at death. It is very obvious that the body remains in the grave, as the Bible says.
D. Men are rewarded at Christ's second coming, not at death (Revelation 22:11,12).
E. The lost are punished in the lake of fire [Gehenna] at the end of the world, not when they die (Matthew 13:40-42). The point of the story is found in verse 31 of Luke 16. Parables cannot be taken literally. If we took parables literally, then we must believe that trees talk! (See this parable in Judges 9:8-15).

Religious "conversions" resulting from a fear of hell as it is depicted in this passage have indeed occurred.

Upvote 0

MinisterTony

Nov 13, 2010
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I never said that. Read the verses in the old testament that refer to the angel of the lord. That is talking about a christophany. In other words most people saw him as a special angel instead of as the son of god.

I can biblically prove that the "angel of the lord" was in fact Jesus.

Let's look at the phrase *angel of the LORD* in the story of Moses and the burning bush

Exo 3:2 And the *angel of the LORD* appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.

Now in verses four and six, who is identified as being in the bush?

Exo 3:4 And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.
Exo 3:6 Moreover he said, *I am* the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.

Notice that the angel (messenger) of verse 2 is really none other than God Himself. This is confirmed in the New Testament-

Acts 7:30 And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sina an *angel of the Lord* in a flame of fire in a bush.
Acts 7:31 When Moses saw it, he wondered at the sight: and as he drew near to behold it, the voice of the Lord came unto him,

Joh 1:3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, *I AM* THAT *I AM*: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, *I AM* hath sent me unto you.

When asked what His name is, the God of the patriarchs of the Old Testament replies *I AM*. Now look again in the New Testament-

Acts 7:32 Saying, *I am* the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Then Moses trembled, and durst not behold.
John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, *I am*.

Jesus Christ had just identified Himself as the One who is the God of the Old Testament patriarchs, who was present in the burning bush speaking to Moses.

Upvote 0

MinisterTony

Nov 13, 2010
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, His spirit didn't return to God immediately. Because He became sin, He went down to hell and paid the price for us.

Your comments are based on a lie that originated with Satan! Nowhere in entire Scripture does it teach what you are teaching.:doh:

Upvote 0

MinisterTony

Nov 13, 2010
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not denying plain scriptures. I'm just saying that before what you said happened, he went down to hell first.

You been reading too many mythical story books. Who told you that there are living people under the Earths soil, inside our own Earth? Who told you this, because the Bible surely didn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MinisterTony

Nov 13, 2010
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Actually, it is you that has the misconception. Do you know what Jesus meant when he said heart of the earth? He was meaning hell. When a person dies his body does indeed go into the ground, but the body doesn't go into the heart of the earth, it goes into a small hole in the ground called a grave. If what you said is true then in the parable of the rich man and lazarus, the both of them would be in the same place.

Your comments are based on fantasy/myth, not on Scripture.

Upvote 0

MinisterTony

Nov 13, 2010
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He is as hard as stone. Try your best.

Actually, I will follow what Jesus taught in regard to this person.

Matthew 10:14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.

I'm outta of 'er :wave: His all yours lol

Upvote 0

NuPreacher

Married to Godchaser_70
Nov 25, 2010
Tulsa
✟8,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You heard a lie from Satan and millions believe that you will get a second chance after death to be saved, very deceptive and dangerous teaching and originated in Satan!

This is why God gave the Parable of Rich man and Lazarus, [Luke 16:19-31]. The necessity of being ready for the day of death and the futility of counting on a 2nd probation, Lost Opportunity and the eternal fixity of mans destiny when life ends.

First of all, I can tell that you don't know much about the bible and you are, therefore, speaking from your ignorance. There is a difference between the people that died before Jesus died and the people that died after the new covenant was enacted.

7But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. 8Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
9(Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

Now do you understand what Paul meant when he said he led captivity captive? And notice in verse 9 where it said that he descended first into the lower parts of the earth. This is telling us, in the language of the day, the Jesus went to Hell. And remember, Jesus told the thief, "This day you shall be with me in paradise."

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, I can tell that you don't know much about the bible and you are, therefore, speaking from your ignorance. There is a difference between the people that died before Jesus died and the people that died after the new covenant was enacted.

You guys always come up with this foolishness. Using the New Covenant as a base to support anything you want. Where in the bible do you see that the New Covenant has anything to do with what happens when people died. The differences between the Old and New Covenant are discussed in Hebrews chapters 7 - 10. Show me where it says anything about where a person now goes when they die.

In the old covenant death is described as a sleep.

1Ki 2:10 So David slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David.
2Ki 15:22 And Menahem slept with his fathers; and Pekahiah his son reigned in his stead.

In the new covenant death is still described as a sleep.

1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
1Th 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

Now do you understand what Paul meant when he said he led captivity captive? And notice in verse 9 where it said that he descended first into the lower parts of the earth. This is telling us, in the language of the day, the Jesus went to Hell. And remember, Jesus told the thief, "This day you shall be with me in paradise."

As my good friend proved from the bible. The thief did not die that very day so he didn't go anywhere. The comma in that verse is misplaced. You are using old arguments which have already been debunked. You have your theory and you are standing hard by it. Its just too bad.

Upvote 0