filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
Favorites:

OT: Genesis, Exodus, Ruth, 1-2 Samuel, Psalms, Isaiah, Amos, Zephaniah, Zechariah

NT: Matthew, Acts, Romans, Ephesians, Philippians, 1-2 Thessalonians, 1 Peter, 1 John

Recommended Reading

Old Testament:

Exodus (history of the deliverance of God's people, Israel, from captivity in Egypt to the promised land - sets the stage for the res tof the OT)

Deuteronomy (provides link between generation that left Egypt, and the generation that enters the promised land - doundational for the rest of covenant history)

1-2 Samuel (provides the background and history of the establishing of the kingship in Israel)

Isaiah (considered the "Romans of the Old Testament")

Jeremiah (great link between covenant and Deuteronomy and the exile of God's people in babylon)

New Testament:

Acts (history of the early church)

Romans (foundational understanding of righteousness)

Ephesians (what it means to be part of the body of Christ)

Philippians (joy amidst suffering)

1 Peter (the Christian's hope in the midst of persecution)

1 John (greatest book about love)

Upvote 0

Tenorvoice

Give me Liberty ...Or a pie in the face
Feb 10, 2004
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
✟22,387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would actual have to say that if you are just staring to read the Bible and you are a new Christian I would actually have to reccomend that you start by reading Luke three times straight through. Then go back and start @ the begining of the New Testament...

God Bless and happy reading and learning

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2004
Kansas City area
✟23,771.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Here is a description of the New testament and how it is divided.

the Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John (John's Gospel is different than the other three, being more theolgical in content)

the book of Acts: An account or history of the beginning of the Church written by Luke.

the epistles (letters) of Paul: written to various Churches or individuals. The title of the epistle designates who it was written to.

the general epistles: written by James (the brother of the Lord), Peter, John and Jude. (John's 1st epistle is one of my favorites)

the apocalypse (revelation): a very mysterious and controversial (how it is interpreted) description of a vision John received depicting the end of the age (world) and final judgement.

the Old testament is divided in this fashion;

the Law, or Pentatuch: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy. These describe the creation of the universe and man, and the deliverance of the children of Abraham (the nation of Isreal), and the laws and covenant and promises God made with them. Written by Moses.

the books of history: describing the establishment and kings of the Isreal. An emphasis is placed on King David, the 1st true king. Plus the return of Juda out of captivity and the restoration of the temple in Jerusalem.

the books of poetry: the book of psalms is in this category plus others. Kind of like of Aesop's fables. Contains wriitings on wisdom, sorrow, life, the nature of God, prayers etc.

the prophets: Some divide this into the major and minor prophets. The Major prophets being; Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Daniel. Predictions of Christ and other future events, and reproof of the sins of Isreal, and warnings.

Keep in mind that the books of the Bible are not in Chronological order.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I would say to begin with John. Basic story of Jesus and basic Christian theology. If you go to church you might find some suggested readings, depending upon what type of church you attend. Catholic and Anglican type churches and those related will have daily readings in their prayer books. I often get inspired by my pastor's sermon and will look up cross-references and such on my own time.

just some ideas
bless you
tal

Upvote 0

Dad Ernie

Nov 28, 2003
Salem, Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟2,980.00
Faith
Protestant
Greetings,

My own experience tells me to start with the Gospels when just beginning to read the Bible. Then after reading them several times, read the rest of the NT less Revelation. Save that for the very last. Get acquainted with Jesus. Learn to DO what the Word says. Then go back and start reading the OT from beginning to end. Start a journal with what you are learning and post your prayers and requests of God in it for understanding and then go back and post the answers to your questions which God WILL answer.

I read the entire Bible about 6 times in the first year after coming to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, but at first I thought of it as just another book, which it certainly is not. I became very condemned every time I got into the Torah. Satan really hammered me with all my sins. It took quite a while before I could read the entire Bible. I had to get to know Jesus first and know the comfort that comes from my new found relationship with Him. Then I was able to look into the law without feeling condemned every time I opened the Bible. There IS NO CONDEMNATION for those in Christ Jesus and that is just what the law does. Once I understood that (from the NT) then I was able to examine myself objectively understanding the very great mercy that God had shown me.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.