Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I only know angels guarded the tomb on each side of a stone that covered the natural doorway until very early Sunday morning. The Bible is not specific about which directions people took his body to, but I am sure New Testament scholars could figure it out because the location is likely not far from Calvary Hill. Is it the same tomb King Herod was buried in?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think
  1. It was probably re-assigned to somebody who stayed dead, and is likely not very distinctive.
  2. That God purposely obscured its whereabouts (just as He did with Moses' grave) so it wouldn't become a shrine.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I only know angels guarded the tomb on each side of a stone that covered the natural doorway until very early Sunday morning. The Bible is not specific about which directions people took his body to, but I am sure New Testament scholars could figure it out because the location is likely not far from Calvary Hill. Is it the same tomb King Herod was buried in?

Like the Angels said, Why are you looking among the dead? He has risen.'

Upvote 0

Qwertyui0p

Dec 20, 2019
New South Wales
✟41,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God probably doesn't want us to find Jesus' tomb. Remember the bronze snake statue that God made for the Israelites that was later worshiped as an idol?

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The church has historically claimed, since at least the reign of Constantine, that the Empty Tomb was located very close to Calvary - to such an extent the eventually a single Church was built to cover both. This Church is called the Church of the Holy Sepulcre after the empty tomb it is said to contain, historically the most revered shrine in Christendom,

Upvote 0

quaternion

ordinary
Apr 18, 2020
imaginary
✟17,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Identifying Jesus' tomb would actually be a very difficult thing. I don't know why people think it would be easy. As an example of the storm that would break, take a look at the Talpiot story - one recent claim that Jesus' tomb had been found.

The fact that many people seem unfamiliar with Talpiot is also very curious with regard to "found tomb" stories.

Upvote 0

Zao is life

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Africa
Visit site
✟183,148.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure they would easily have known where the tomb was at the time because it was the tomb which belonged to a rich man who was obviously well enough known (since he was a rich man):

Not the tomb king Herod was buried in:

Mat 27:57-60 "When the evening had come, a rich man of Arimathea, named Joseph, came, who also himself was Jesus' disciple. He went to Pilate and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered. When Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in clean linen, and laid it in his new tomb, which he had cut out of the rock."

The tomb which Joseph of Arimathea had purchased was probably a tomb he had purchased for his own burial. Was it not a common practice in the custom of those days for the wealthy to purchase their tombs ahead of their own deaths, in much the same way we have funeral insurance policies today? If so, it was not a tomb which had been cut especially for Jesus - for how could Joseph of Armathea have known Jesus would be crucified when He was crucified?

We are also told in the prophets:

Isa 53:9 "And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth."

He was crucified as though He were wicked, yet buried with the rich - but not king Herod's tomb.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
One speaker, years ago, pointed out how frugal God was. Why BUY a tomb, when You're only going to be dead for three days?

That is what my dad always said about wedding gowns. Because a woman is only going to wear the gown once in her life, why aren't they rented like groom suits and tuxedos?

Of course, the answer to that question is women need to have gowns tailored at alteration shops to fit, so returning them would not be allowed. The tomb could be used by another person because Jesus was only a dead body (from the humanity perspective) and did not need any custom features like brides do.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The church has historically claimed, since at least the reign of Constantine, that the Empty Tomb was located very close to Calvary - to such an extent the eventually a single Church was built to cover both. This Church is called the Church of the Holy Sepulcre after the empty tomb it is said to contain, historically the most revered shrine in Christendom,
Isn’t that a Catholic thing, though, or do Lutherans go there for services and or prayer?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Isn’t that a Catholic thing, though, or do Lutherans go there for services and or prayer?
The Greek Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Armenian and various other Oriental churches share it currently; so no Lutherans, Anglicans or other Protestants as far as I am aware. But it is still the traditional sight according to Church tradition, so most people I know that went to Israel for religious reasons went there to pray, even if Protestant services aren't held there.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Greek Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Armenian and various other Oriental churches share it currently; so no Lutherans, Anglicans or other Protestants as far as I am aware. But it is still the traditional sight according to Church tradition, so most people I know that went to Israel for religious reasons went there to pray, even if Protestant services aren't held there.
Do many Protestants pray there?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

They can...but most go to the so-called "Garden Tomb" which has been proven to be historically and archeologically incorrect.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I know a couple yes, and I would pray there myself if I ever went to Israel.

The Garden Tomb has very little historical standing, but many Protestants, especially the anti-Romish kind, are not fond of the Holy Sepulcre one. They argue it probably isn't the tomb, as it is only in the 4th century it was pointed out as such, so an alternate tomb might be just as possible - and it is more the idea that counts. The Spirit rather than the Letter. Personally, I don't agree with creating a Protestant tomb, as if we are a different religion; and even if the Holy Sepulcre might not be the real one, it is probably the site with the best claim to be. Further, the pious intentions of 1700 years of pilgrims would sanctify it anyway, in a sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Services, no. However, I know of Lutheran tour groups from churches that have gone to it and did pray in it as a group.

• Agree
Reactions: GreekOrthodox
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Mosheli

Jul 1, 2020
Wellington
✟40,682.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think that out of the 3 candidates for the tomb that the Garden Tomb near Skull Hill / Gordon's Calvary is the best candidate. The Holy Sepulcher is very doubtful for various reasons, and the Talpiot tomb certainly doesn't match the Jesus of the gospels. All-Dread: Garden Tomb

Reactions: John 1720
Upvote 0