Where is the challenge of any word game?

mjmcmillan

Sep 27, 2009
Out there. Thataway.
✟5,089.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you don't like them, don't play. Personally, I never got into them so I don't play, but it seems a lot of folk enjoy them.

It's been noted elsewhere that games help keep the mind sharp-- as does anything that causes you to use your mind-- so they do serve a useful purpose and might help keep dementia at bay for a few more years.

Reactions: davedajobauk
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If you don't like them, don't play. Personally, I never got into them so I don't play, but it seems a lot of folk enjoy them.

It's been noted elsewhere that games help keep the mind sharp-- as does anything that causes you to use your mind-- so they do serve a useful purpose and might help keep dementia at bay for a few more years.

I think it would be a much better, much effective, and much meaningful mental exercise to share lessons learned from the Scripture. That is what a Christian elder should do.

People post here are able to use computer. If they can use computer, then they can search. If they can search, then a lot old-style word games simply lost their meaning. That is what my OP asking: what kind of word game remained to be mentally challenging with a powerful word search engine at hand today? One used the search engine to find a word and posted it. That is not much a mental exercise. It is, in fact, boring.

Upvote 0

mjmcmillan

Sep 27, 2009
Out there. Thataway.
✟5,089.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well then, all you have to do is decide not to play. Simple, no???

In the meantime, as long as you keep up a "Holier than thou" look down your nose at the game players attitude, I can pretty much guarantee you won't get much traction here. Sorry charlie, but that's what I sense every time I open one of your posts to have a look-see.

Upvote 0

mjmcmillan

Sep 27, 2009
Out there. Thataway.
✟5,089.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I might should have just edited my last post, but---

Any time people gather together and they don't have any particular structure to the meeting, sooner or later they tend to play games. You'll see it happen anywhere men gather. If you're gathering to kill time, a game is sure to break out, you can count on it. This is true even amongst "Christian Elders", when they're not gathering specifically on church business.Sometimes it happens even on "Church Time" when they've got a few odd minutes to spare.

Do you think God is serious all the time? I suggest you take a good look at the Otter. God created this creature, and as serious a business as survival is for the otter, this creature still finds plenty of time to have fun too. No "sobersides all the time" God could have created the otter, only a God who possesses a sense of fun and games could create this animal. He created a sense of fun and games in us, too. In fact, one of the fruits of the Spirit is "Joy", and it's one thing we're to try to cultivate in our lives.

Now, lighten up. Stop trying to get people to stop playing games and be serious all the time, you will only succeed in defeating yourself if you keep that up.

Upvote 0

DIANAC

Senior Veteran
Jan 10, 2005
New York
✟8,511.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'll come to juve's defense, and good Lord knows that he needs one.
Questions similar to OP interest me as well. But knowing that I am a game-challenged type of person I suspected that there must be a higher fascination that simply escapes me. Well, previous posters finally enlightened me on that issue. Thank you for that!
Juve comes here for "iron sharpens iron" but most posters want to chill and kill time. Unfortunately, juve looses most of the time because his threads simply drown in the sea of lighter threads. Poor juve!
I tried playing the plant game. But I only named those plants that I grow myself or grow in my area. I even included the photos. Soon I sensed that it was not what most posters wanted, so I bowed out of this thread.
One thing I noticed about the older folks. They have wisdom. But you need to sit through alot of watching TV together, playing games together, spending quite time together just to glean precious bits of that wisdom.
Juve, keep them coming. I will stop by your threads, because I am useless in other threads.

Upvote 0

mjmcmillan

Sep 27, 2009
Out there. Thataway.
✟5,089.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Dianac, I'm afraid I can't quite agree with you about Juve. If he had come in here with a serious thread it would have been one thing, and it may be that if the group of which he is part had come in with serious stuff what happened wouldn't have happened. This didn't happen, what happened instead was that some folk came in here with an attitude, and that rubbed the regulars here the wrong way. From then on what happened next was entirely predictable.

Now, I just had a look-see, and I find that not one bit of this brew-haha was necessary. Just up-board here they have a forum where all they do is discuss heavy theological issues. There's not even one game to be found there, as far as I can see, so if you have a hankering to discuss serious, heavy theological material--- it's there.

Right now, because of the hard feelings that have been generated here--- yep, there's a one-hundred percent guarantee that any thread started by the "new group" will get buried under a ton of game threads. It's the regulars self-defense mechanism at work, and it's been working rather effectively.

Upvote 0

NoelAsa

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
At Computer
✟23,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dianac, I'm afraid I can't quite agree with you about Juve. If he had come in here with a serious thread it would have been one thing, and it may be that if the group of which he is part had come in with serious stuff what happened wouldn't have happened. This didn't happen, what happened instead was that some folk came in here with an attitude, and that rubbed the regulars here the wrong way. From then on what happened next was entirely predictable.

Now, I just had a look-see, and I find that not one bit of this brew-haha was necessary. Just up-board here they have a forum where all they do is discuss heavy theological issues. There's not even one game to be found there, as far as I can see, so if you have a hankering to discuss serious, heavy theological material--- it's there.

Right now, because of the hard feelings that have been generated here--- yep, there's a one-hundred percent guarantee that any thread started by the "new group" will get buried under a ton of game threads. It's the regulars self-defense mechanism at work, and it's been working rather effectively.

Juve was not part of a group. There was no group. Just individuals of like mind who were answering a thread. I knew no one on that thread and I don't think any of the other people knew each other either.

The hard feelings were generated by the core group who instantly attacked anyone who was not part of their group. Juve has come in here with serious threads, but they get drowned out by the games. I was even tempted to be a part of a few of them, but because of the mentality of the GE forum I did not. Posting here is to subject yourself to name calling and ridicule.

The attitude that anyone new who posts here will buried under a ton of games threads is offensive. It is a shame that the GE forum is not welcoming to anyone over the age of 50 who is a member of CF.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well then, all you have to do is decide not to play. Simple, no???

In the meantime, as long as you keep up a "Holier than thou" look down your nose at the game players attitude, I can pretty much guarantee you won't get much traction here. Sorry charlie, but that's what I sense every time I open one of your posts to have a look-see.

Yes, that is my intention, to challenge, and to see what people can say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I might should have just edited my last post, but---

Any time people gather together and they don't have any particular structure to the meeting, sooner or later they tend to play games. You'll see it happen anywhere men gather. If you're gathering to kill time, a game is sure to break out, you can count on it. This is true even amongst "Christian Elders", when they're not gathering specifically on church business.Sometimes it happens even on "Church Time" when they've got a few odd minutes to spare.

Do you think God is serious all the time? I suggest you take a good look at the Otter. God created this creature, and as serious a business as survival is for the otter, this creature still finds plenty of time to have fun too. No "sobersides all the time" God could have created the otter, only a God who possesses a sense of fun and games could create this animal. He created a sense of fun and games in us, too. In fact, one of the fruits of the Spirit is "Joy", and it's one thing we're to try to cultivate in our lives.

Now, lighten up. Stop trying to get people to stop playing games and be serious all the time, you will only succeed in defeating yourself if you keep that up.

I am not against playing games. I like to play chess, poker, etc. But as my OP pointed out, the old-fashion word games are becoming too easy and much less meaningful.

I am getting old, but I found I don't have as much time to play chess as I had before (20 years ago). My leisure time is getting shorter with my age. I like it that way.

Upvote 0

DIANAC

Senior Veteran
Jan 10, 2005
New York
✟8,511.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Juve was not part of a group. There was no group. Just individuals of like mind who were answering a thread. I knew no one on that thread and I don't think any of the other people knew each other either.

The hard feelings were generated by the core group who instantly attacked anyone who was not part of their group. Juve has come in here with serious threads, but they get drowned out by the games. I was even tempted to be a part of a few of them, but because of the mentality of the GE forum I did not. Posting here is to subject yourself to name calling and ridicule.

The attitude that anyone new who posts here will buried under a ton of games threads is offensive. It is a shame that the GE forum is not welcoming to anyone over the age of 50 who is a member of CF.

True!

Upvote 0

DIANAC

Senior Veteran
Jan 10, 2005
New York
✟8,511.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Dianac, I'm afraid I can't quite agree with you about Juve. If he had come in here with a serious thread it would have been one thing,and it may be that if the group of which he is part had come in with serious stuff what happened wouldn't have happened. This didn't happen, what happened instead was that some folk came in here with an attitude, and that rubbed the regulars here the wrong way. From then on what happened next was entirely predictable.
Let's see...."How do you prepare for your departure?" would you consider a serious topic? Or perhaps "Do you educate older children?", is it a serious enough to be worthy to be posted in GE forum?

There is another word for this attitude. And it has nothing in common with love, kindness, joy, patience, self control, goodness and peace.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I started to post on CF a few years ago in the Theology > Origin forum. Then I migrated to include the Social > Science forum. I visited this forum once before, and left after posted one thread. Then I visited Philosophy forum, Apologetics forum and Scripture forum. Those forums are where my thousands of posts went to. Yes, I used to debate and the debating is pretty steep and sharp in those forums. Currently, I still spend way more time there than here.

This forum is special. It is a place not meant to debate on special issues, but is a place to talk about concerns related to golden age people. I do think there are a host of issues only belong to this group. Since I came here about two weeks ago, I threw out three of them. A new thread get pushed to the second page by game threads over one day is kind of new to me. However, I don't really mind that so much. To bring up an issue is my contribution. How much discussion it would get is not my problem. If I have some relevant interesting or challenging topics, I throw it out for you people to think about. Otherwise, I can still debate seriously in other forums.

For some people who think my attitude is bad, I would say, you ain't see nothing yet. I have tried to be very friendly in this forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amadeus2

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2007
Oklahoma
✟28,229.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
If a website like THIS is on your finger tip, where is the challenge of any word game any more?

Lots of different people are in lots of different places. Probably not all of them are walking close to God, but who are we really, when it comes down to it, to judge another?

Personally, I have some very definite memory problems. Being made to think, from what I have been told by physicians and from my own experience, is helpful. Anyone who believes that the word games we play here and elsewhere don't require thought, hasn't really considered where everyone else is. Who, but God, knows where everyone else is?

Just like being a continuous couch potato can be hard on the physical body, never being required to think can be hard on mental capabilities. I guess one could say 'use it or lose it' applies. At age 67, I am not going out and join the neighborhood kids in a tackle football game. Neither am I going to understand all of the details of Einstein's theory of Relativity.

What has God given us to use? What have we done or what are we doing with such gifts? Not everyone has the same gifts or abilities, but each of us has something. To condemn or criticise another for not doing it the way that we would prefer shouldn't really be our call, should it?

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
Salford, Greater Manchester. UK
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To be FAIR...

There came a 'group'
of VERY RARE VISITORS to GE50+
ALL sought to uphold and support the CLAIMS of an a new OP

ALL of those did/would 'criminalise'
the content of GE50_threads
ALL....WITHOUT visiting other pages

In other-words, THEY, took the index page AT FACE VALUE
and frankly, THEY were plainly 'disgusted'
I won't ask WHY ?....

ALL ALONG,
I have proposed and intimated, that GE50+ contains some very SERIOUS Threads
whose 'authors', have been 'satisfied' with their replies
and these threads were archived below newer [currently ACTIVE] threads

I am indeed SURPRISED, that some members continue, to 'find fault'
with the reaction, that these naysayers received, in-response,
from regular members [Golden Eagles]

In my opinion, it was a perfectly NATURAL REACTION to such 'cat-calling'

Such heckling, of otherwise comfortable forums, is done by 'trolls'

There is but one POWER, that I respect and acknowledge... ~it isn't human

dave

Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
Salford, Greater Manchester. UK
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The SOLE CHALLENGE to the content of GE50+ threads

'CAME FROM WITHOUT' and GUESS WHAT.... 'They' live on !!!!

GOOD INTENT, is stronger than EVIL INTENT

and there will ALWAYS BE 'serious replies' to 'serious posts' here in GE50+

There are CLAIMS, that "serious posts were buried under a ton of games"
but, this doesn't happen, not, to 'serious threads'
Not, so long as, the OP remains unsatisfied
is disatisfied, that the matter, has been adequately replied-to

In truth, an argument was posted within the OP
one, that required the membership to 'judge themselves' re: the forums content
The answer was given....

John 14:1-2; 15-21; 27
Psalm23

dave

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by mjmcmillan
Dianac, I'm afraid I can't quite agree with you about Juve. If he had come in here with a serious thread it would have been one thing,and it may be that if the group of which he is part had come in with serious stuff what happened wouldn't have happened. This didn't happen, what happened instead was that some folk came in here with an attitude, and that rubbed the regulars here the wrong way. From then on what happened next was entirely predictable.
DIANAC: Let's see...."How do you prepare for your departure?" would you consider a serious topic? Or
perhaps "Do you educate older children?", is it a serious enough to be worthy to be posted in GE forum?
DIANAC: There is another word for this attitude. And it has nothing in common with love, kindness, joy, patience, self control, goodness and peace.

Upvote 0