Aug 8, 2011
Ol Misery
✟16,433.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Where Does The Wording Israel Being "Set Aside" Come From

Those who follow the man-made theology called dispensationalism, Christian Zionism, or Separation Theology and believe that Old Covenant Israel ceased to exist back in the First century, but is to be re-established in the future, often talk about it being "Set Aside." Is this wording "Set Aside" from scripture, or did it come from that man-made theology? Some followers of this theology will mention that Israel was "Temporarily Set Aside."

The New Testament does not use the wording "set aside" when discussing the end of the Old Covenant. Some dispensationalists would probably argue that the end of the Old Covenant had little to do with the "setting aside" of Israel. But what they mean by Israel is Old Covenant Israel.

The New Testament talks about the Old Covenant decaying and growing old and being ready to vanish away (Hebrews 8: 13), the Old Covenant being taken away (Hebrews 10: 9) and being done away (II Corinthians 3: 7 and in II Corinthians 3: 11.

Hebrews 8: 5 and Hebrews 10: 1, as well as Colossians 2: 16-17, talk about parts of the Old Covenant being mere shadows of the substance which was to come - Christ.

"But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. 7. For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second." Hebrews 8: 6-7

"Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels. 4. And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it. 5. Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 6. O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel." Jeremiah 18: 3-6

Paul showed that he understood the metaphor or parable in Jeremiah 18. 21 "Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?" Romans 9: 21

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where Does The Wording Israel Being "Set Aside" Come From

Those who follow the man-made theology called dispensationalism, Christian Zionism, or Separation Theology and believe that Old Covenant Israel ceased to exist back in the First century, but is to be re-established in the future, often talk about it being "Set Aside." Is this wording "Set Aside" from scripture, or did it come from that man-made theology? Some followers of this theology will mention that Israel was "Temporarily Set Aside."

The New Testament does not use the wording "set aside" when discussing the end of the Old Covenant. Some dispensationalists would probably argue that the end of the Old Covenant had little to do with the "setting aside" of Israel. But what they mean by Israel is Old Covenant Israel.

The New Testament talks about the Old Covenant decaying and growing old and being ready to vanish away (Hebrews 8: 13), the Old Covenant being taken away (Hebrews 10: 9) and being done away (II Corinthians 3: 7 and in II Corinthians 3: 11.

Hebrews 8: 5 and Hebrews 10: 1, as well as Colossians 2: 16-17, talk about parts of the Old Covenant being mere shadows of the substance which was to come - Christ.

"But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. 7. For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second." Hebrews 8: 6-7

"Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels. 4. And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it. 5. Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 6. O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel." Jeremiah 18: 3-6

Paul showed that he understood the metaphor or parable in Jeremiah 18. 21 "Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?" Romans 9: 21

Hi the new covenant in Jer specifically replaces the one made with Israel when they were delivered from Egypt and does not eliminate the covenant made with Abraham and then again with David. You see Abraham was promised in his seed singular the entire world would be blessed; that seed is followed in genealogy all the way to Jesus. The promise to the nation Israel are many and even when the new covenant is given Jer 31 goes on to say as long as the sun and moon endure Israel will not cease to be a nation before Gods eyes and then God promises a time for Israel which assures they will never be cut off for what they have done.

Thus says the LORD:
“If heaven above can be measured,
And the foundations of the earth searched out beneath,
I will also cast off all the seed of Israel
For all that they have done, says the LORD.
38 “Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, that the city shall be built for the LORD from the Tower of Hananel to the Corner Gate. 39 The surveyor’s line shall again extend straight forward over the hill Gareb; then it shall turn toward Goath. 40 And the whole valley of the dead bodies and of the ashes, and all the fields as far as the Brook Kidron, to the corner of the Horse Gate toward the east, shall be holy to the LORD. It shall not be plucked up or thrown down anymore forever.”

Note this time of deliverance is when dead bodies are going to be full in the valley and from that time on these specific gates in Jerusalem will never be torn down again. God in fact in Isaiah 61; promises to make another eternal future covenant with those who mourn in Zion in the day of vengeance of God. and makes a distinction between them and the Gentiles.

To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD,
And the day of vengeance of our God;
To comfort all who mourn,
3 To console those who mourn in Zion,
To give them beauty for ashes,
The oil of joy for mourning,
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they may be called trees of righteousness,
The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.”
4 And they shall rebuild the old ruins,
They shall raise up the former desolations,
And they shall repair the ruined cities,
The desolations of many generations.
5 Strangers shall stand and feed your flocks,
And the sons of the foreigner
Shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers.
6 But you shall be named the priests of the LORD,
They shall call you the servants of our God.
You shall eat the riches of the Gentiles,
And in their glory you shall boast.
7 Instead of your shame you shall have double honor,
And instead of confusion they shall rejoice in their portion.
Therefore in their land they shall possess double;
Everlasting joy shall be theirs.
8 “For I, the LORD, love justice;
I hate robbery for burnt offering;
I will direct their work in truth,
And will make with them an everlasting covenant.
9 Their descendants shall be known among the Gentiles,
And their offspring among the people.
All who see them shall acknowledge them,
That they are the posterity whom the LORD has blessed.”
10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD,
My soul shall be joyful in my God;
For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
He has covered me with the robe of righteousness,
As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments,
And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
11 For as the earth brings forth its bud,
As the garden causes the things that are sown in it to spring forth,
So the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations.

This passage makes no sense if the church is Israel. Key verse
9 Their descendants shall be known among the Gentiles,
And their offspring among the people. This is future.

Upvote 0

northwye

northwye
Aug 8, 2011
Ol Misery
✟16,433.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Their descendants shall be known among the Gentiles,
And their offspring among the people.
All who see them shall acknowledge them,
That they are the posterity whom the LORD has blessed." Isaiah 61: 9

Dispensationalists are focused upon the multitude rather than upon the remnant - and they focus much of their theology on what they say is to be future. Isaiah 61: 9 is about the remnant, and can be the same remnant found in Romans 11: 1-5. It is a prophecy by Isaiah written maybe 700 years before its fulfillment when some of the Gentiles, or peoples not of the chosen bloodline, knew that remnant which included Peter, John and Paul. who had been part of Old Covenant Israel. but were changed by Christ and his Gospel. Dispensationalism tends to emphasize that which is physical and ignore much of that which is spiritual. This emphasis upon that which is kata sarka, according to the flesh, weakens their spiritual strength and those who are influenced by them.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The general reference of Israel being "set aside", is not in those words in the Bible, but many of us see it as that which happened at the Cross when the Lord Jesus came as promised to Israel and was rejected nationally and crucified. Their religion was done away there (see the Gospels) with the "Vail" being "rent" and the High Priest renting his garments. Israel as a nation is set aside (see prophecy) 'til after the Millennium time when they will become God's government on the "new earth" ---God's covenant people (note also Revelation). Today the Israelites must come to God even as the Gentiles by faith in Jesus, the Christ to be redeemed, else they will perish without eternal hope and blessings like all other of mankind. One can follow this history and unveiling of these dispensations by comparing all Scripture together, and reading reliable Bible Commentaries by scholars. Bible Truth Publishers, Addison, IL has an excellent book called: Concise Bible Dictionary, which can help on this.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Certainly, one needs to be embracing "all the counsel of God" and "rightly dividing the Word of Truth. Most confusion for casual Bible readers, is not understanding the fullness of Holy Scripture. When a word or verses are taken out of context they will miss the meaning of God; and one needs to understand the context in which they are reading. The "dispensations" (as also noted in 1 Cor. 9:17; Eph. 1:10 & 3:2; Col. 1:25) speak of ages and administrations of God over time. If we do not appreciate these we will end up scrambling the truth of God. That is why many do not see that the Israelite religion ended at the Cross; and while they will be restored on the "new earth" as prophecy shows, they MUST come on the same ground as Gentiles today ---note John 3 and Jesus speaking to Nicodemus, the Jewish teacher about the new birth. I have a helpful paper about the Dispensations if one is interested ---write me personally.

Keep looking up, friends, and seeking the truth of God's purposes for us as shown in His immutable Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0