• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Where does morality come from?

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Searching_for_God, Apr 28, 2019.

1. gradyll

gradyll In the grip of grace

+1,020
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I think you admit to using faith in GPS, as it auto corrects arrival times according to updating conditions (which I admit that it cannot control), but it still requires faith in a device. And secondly I think the pivotal argument for me is my definition of faith.

so since you disagree that faith is just trust, I figure I would quote a dictionary for you.

"Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
    ‘this restores one's faith in politicians’

faith | Definition of faith in English by Lexico Dictionaries

oxford dictionaries I hear are the best.

the primary definition is how I define faith, it also defines faith as a type of religion, not based on proof.
    but that is the secondary definition. The primary definition, the one I am using is the first most primary definition. Of which you would be having faith in a GPS.

lastly if you ask a Christian to define faith, they will almost universally say it's "trust."

Because it's not a belief in something that is faith, it is actually putting your trust in something, and yes it is without solid proof.

but trust in general is without proof as I have verified in my last post.

2. Kylie

Kylie Atheist and Proud

+3,017
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    And yet you don't give a link to the article on this site.

3. Kylie

Kylie Atheist and Proud

+3,017
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    My faith in my GPS is based on its proven track record. In other words, I have evidence.

I will agree that this is ONE definition of faith. But I do not blindly trust my GPS. There have been cases where GPS has lead people to the wrong place, and through impassable roads. I do NOT have complete trust.

If you are reduced to quibbling over the definition of FAITH, perhaps in an attempt to claim that the same definition applies to my faith in my GPS and your faith in God, then you're going to find I am far from convinced.

And yet my faith in my GPS is indeed based on evidence, isn't it?

4. gradyll

+1,020
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    It said on the top of the peer review where it was from
    I could not find it, but in searching i found many studies, all of which we summarized in this article:

here is a concluding quote from the bottom:

"
    the growing body of scientific evidences indicates some bio-effects and possible adverse health effects of Radio Frequency Radiation (RFR) which merit further investigations.”[20]

The American Cancer Society (ACS) states that “The IARC classification means that there could be some risk associated with cancer, but the evidence is not strong enough to be considered causal and needs to be investigated further. "

a government peer review site:
    US National Library of Medicine
    National Institutes of Health
    link below:
    Mobile phone use and possible cancer risk: Current perspectives in India

furthermore a study on male mice, found a decrease in sperm count among mice under long term exposure to radiation found in cell phones:

2.45-GHz microwave irradiation adversely affects reproductive function in male mouse, Mus musculus by inducing oxidative and nitrosative stress. - PubMed - NCBI

5. gradyll

+1,020
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    so you admit that you use faith, so there we have it. That is all I wanted. I have faith Jesus died for my sins based on evidence. Eye witness accounts. See "Cold Case Christianity" - I really liked that book. You should check it out if your really open to the evidence of Christianity.

Most healthy churches don't teach a blind faith, but incorporate statistical evidence such as prophecy, and other events that legitimize the Biblical account.

I don't need to convince you, just have a logical argument for why that is the case.

6. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+555
    Atheist
    Private
    When he said he had a proven track record concerning his GPS, why did you make the leap that he had faith? Faith does not equal a proven track record.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Kylie

Kylie Atheist and Proud

+3,017
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    You did not give a link to your original article on any peer reviewed website.

So you can't find the article on any peer reviewed website and the ones you can find say that there is not enough evidence to conclude that there is a causal relationship between mobile phones and cancer.

You need to learn to choose your battles better, because this is one that you aren't winning.

8. Kylie

Kylie Atheist and Proud

+3,017
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Oh, for crying out loud, I have been as clear as I possibly can be that my faith that my GPS works is DIFFERENT to your faith in God! Why do you refuse to grasp this very simple point?

lol, I've never seen any such evidence from anyone.

Of course, if you actually HAD a logical argument for God, you would convince me.

9. Clizby WampusCat

Clizby WampusCat New Member

+12
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    That is different. Flat earther's have a belief that can be falsified. Most atheists have no belief in a god and are making no claims. Believers have no falsifiable claims yet to be able to convince an atheist god exists. And as I pointed out your god won't allow you to convince everyone of the gospel anyway.

10. Clizby WampusCat

Clizby WampusCat New Member

+12
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Not according to the bible.

Dictionary.com
    noun
    noun: faith
    1. 1.
      complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
      "this restores one's faith in politicians"
      synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction, credence, reliance, dependence; More

antonyms: mistrust
    2. 2.
      strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
      synonyms: religion, church, sect, denomination, persuasion, religious persuasion, religious belief, belief, code of belief, ideology, creed, teaching, dogma, doctrine
      "she gave her life for her faith"
      • a system of religious belief.
        plural noun: faiths
        "the Christian faith"
      • a strongly held belief or theory.
        "the faith that life will expand until it fills the universe"
    How Christians use faith and how your bible defines faith more fits the second definition.

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Heb 11:1.

Faith is assurance in something simply because you hope for it and are sure of things you cannot see. This can be used to believe anything. I hope that Bigfoot is real and I am confident it exists even though I have never seen one. This is from gotquestions.org about faith:

"Thankfully, the Bible contains a clear definition of faith in Hebrews 11:1: “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Simply put, the biblical definition of faith is “trusting in something you cannot explicitly prove.”

The bible also says without faith (or belief without sufficient evidence) you cannot please god or be saved. Why do so many Christians then try to prove that god exists?

11. quatona

quatona "God"? What do you mean??

+4,156
    Seeker
    Well, the existence of cell phones is not in dispute, I hope. Thus "having faith (in the existence of) God" and "having faith that cell phone will not give you cancer" are two different things. False equivocation.