Where did the laws of nature come from?

Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
So I think Ive done this before.
I know that a list of quotes in crazy colors and without citations or context is dubious. Extreme quote mining turns it into a list of lies
The frailty of adaptive hypotheses for the origins of organismal complexity
Second, all four major forces play a substantial role in genomic evolution. It is impossible to understand evolution purely in terms of natural selection, and many aspects of genomic, cellular, and developmental evolution can only be understood by invoking a negligible level of adaptive involvement (12, 13). Because all three nonadaptive forces of evolution are stochastic in nature, this conclusion raises some significant technical challenges. It is tempting to think that stochastic processes have no implications for the direction of evolution. However, the effects of mutation and recombination are nonrandom, and by magnifying the role of chance, genetic drift indirectly imposes directionality on evolution by encouraging the fixation of mildly deleterious mutations and discouraging the promotion of beneficial mutations.

Still no sign that stevevw has tried to understand his sources after his misconceptions were pointed out resulting in my 22 August 2016 post.
19 July 2016 stevevw: Three citations that do not state "Natural selection (adaptive forces) are negligible and/or minimal..." :eek:!
21 July 2016 stevevw: Like "not a giant" does not mean "is a dwarf".
11 August 2016 stevevw: Seems that you are happy to quote mine (lie about) that section in Lynch's paper by cutting the first sentence.

Last edited:
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
As far as I understand it thats not how evolution uses the terms micro and macro in its assumptions.
Your understanding is flawed, stevevw. Evolutionary theory does not use the terms micro[evolution] and macro[evolution] in its assumptions at all.
Microevolution
Microevolution is the change in allele frequencies that occurs over time within a population
Macroevolution
Macroevolution is evolution on a scale of separated gene pools.[1] Macroevolutionary studies focus on change that occurs at or above the level of species, in contrast with microevolution,[2] which refers to smaller evolutionary changes (typically described as changes in allele frequencies) within a species or population.[3] Macroevolution and microevolution describe fundamentally identical processes on different time scales.[1][4][page needed]
These are labels for real world observations.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your understanding is flawed, stevevw. Evolutionary theory does not use the terms micro[evolution] and macro[evolution] in its assumptions at all.
Microevolution

Macroevolution
These are labels for real world observations.
How can you say evolution doesn't use micro and macro evolution and then post support showing they do. Besides wikipedia isn't the best place to get that support. But you support states that micro evolution is a term used in evolution. Even Berkerley.com which is one of the top evolutionary education sites states that micro evolution is a term used by evolution.
dot_clear.gif

Evolution at different scales: micro to macro :
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evoscales_02

But I am glad you clarified the theory is an assumption.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How can you say evolution doesn't use micro and macro evolution and then post support showing they do. Besides wikipedia isn't the best place to get that support. But you support states that micro evolution is a term used in evolution. Even Berkerley.com which is one of the top evolutionary education sites states that micro evolution is a term used by evolution.
dot_clear.gif

Evolution at different scales: micro to macro :
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evoscales_02

But I am glad you clarified the theory is an assumption.

Which "theory" do you belive to be an assumption?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Two quotes
OK there's two quotes that say the same thing which add up to one bit of information.

Please, explain how I'm taking that out of context. It seems more like you want to try and run away from this quote and are complaining that I'm reminding everyone of the obvious mistake you made when making this claim in the first place.
No I have acknowledge the quote and have said that I dont dispute that Natural selection is a force. I stated we need to know what that force is because the quote you are using doesn't tell us what that is. The simple fact that you cant tell what the force is that the quote is referring to and that you are still using it for disputing what I am saying shows that you are using it out of context. How can you use a quote that is so general for something so specific which is natural selections ability to create the genetic networks and genomic architecture that is needed to produce features and species.

What does this have to do with the idea that selection is negligible in how life changes and develops?
Natural selection needs functional variations to be able to select the the slight modifications that build new
features and creatures. If the process that produces new variations is under question and actually does the opposite then there is no variation for natural selection to act on. So therefore natural selection plays a minor role in how life changes and develops. It may work on what has already been produced by other mechanisms and refines that but it is not the force that creates it.

Who says it needs to? Saying it once was enough to show your source contradicted you.
But you dont know what the specific force or role is that your quote is attributing to natural selection. Are you saying just because it mentions evolution is a general sense that it allies to having the ability to evolve all sorts of things and that it negates everything else the paper says and questions about natural selection.

You're putting us in a position where we have two choices.
No thats exactly what you have done by claiming that the quote you use is a coverall statemnet for natural selections role and ability. You are saying that because the quote mentions natural selection is a force then it means that it is a force for everything and no matter what is said in the paper or by anyone else it is wrong. So that makes it all or nothing.

I didn't ask you to make a choice of one thing or another I asked what do you think the statemnet that natural selection is negligible and insufficient when it comes to evolving gene networks, genomic architecture, developmental pathways ect.

1. You've manged to find a hidden meaning in a paper that even the authors and reviewers don't see. That is, trained professionals all missed the hidden message in the paper that refutes Darwinism. Even the person writing it was too clueless to see how his work will fundamentally change biology forever. Luckily enough you've come along to set us all straight here on an anonymous message board rather than publishing your extraordinary find and guaranteeing yourself a Nobel prize.
The author himself tells us that he is putting a challenge to supporters of mainstream evolution evolution when he says

Jacob (46) argues that “it is natural selection that gives direction to changes, orients chance, and slowly, progressively produces more complex structures, new organs, and new species.” The vast majority of biologists almost certainly agree with such statements. But where is the direct supportive evidence for the assumption that complexity is rooted in adaptive processes? No existing observations support such a claim, and given the massive global dominance of unicellular species over multicellular eukaryotes, both in terms of species richness and numbers of individuals, if there is an advantage of organismal complexity, one can only marvel at the inability of natural selection to promote it.

So the author Michael Lynch is quoting another biologist Mr Jacobs who says that natural selection is what gives direction to changes and slowly produces more complex structures as well as new organs and species. The author goes on to say that this is what the majority of biologists agree with. So this is what the mainstream belief is what evolutionary biologists who support the Darwinian view of how evolution works with natural selection. The author Lynch goes on to state very clearly where is the evidence for this assumption. So here we can see that the author is questioning the mainstream view of natural selection and that is why he has made this paper. It doesn't mean he is discarding natural selection. he is questioning the role and ability of natural selection and that is what I am doing and the reason why I am using this particular paper for support.

There are many other statements in the paper such as Lynch referring to how some supporters of evolution such Dawkins himself who is a very prominent supporter of natural selection try to promote the myth that natural selection can do anything and is responsible for everything that happens in evolution.

the myth that all of evolution can be explained by adaptation continues to be perpetuated by our continued homage to Darwin's treatise (6) in the popular literature. For example, Dawkins' (79) agenda to spread the word on the awesome power of natural selection has been quite successful, but it has come at the expense of reference to any other mechanisms
or
The literature is permeated with dogmatic statements that natural selection is the only guiding force of evolution, with mutation creating variation but never controlling the ultimate direction of evolutionary change

So we have many statements from the author himself which clearly tell us that he is writing this paper to dispel some of the beliefs about natural selections ability and role in evolution. Lynch is well known for his work and if anyone is going to get a reward it is him.

2. You're taking a half a sentence out of context.
No if you look at all I have posted now I have just about included the whole paper to give support for what I am saying. As I stated the entire paper has been written by Lynch to question the claims made about adaptive evolution (natural selection).

Guess which one seems more reasonable.
So if you think that the quote supports whatever it is your saying then you should be able to tell us what the exact force is that the quote is referring to. What the rest of the paper means when it questions natural selection being insufficient and negligible.

Except for the part talking about how selection is one of the fundamental forces driving evolution. Don't forget that part.
There that coverall use of one statemnet again. Do you know exactly what the force is that the quote is referring to. So your acknowledging that the rest of the paper is questioning natural selections ability to evolve complex gene networks and architecture.

Where did you see the word negligible in the quote I was talking about?
here

KCfromNC said
Same problem with the first quote-mine from this paper. This quote is specifically talking about the origins of complexity. It has nothing to do with the more general claim that "natural selection is negligible and/or minimal

What does "formal demonstration" mean in this context? n any case, this is another paper talking about the origins of a specific feature. It also has nothing to do with the more general claim that "natural selection is negligible and/or minimal".

You also seem to be making some awfully certain conclusions from a quote which used the word may quite a bit. Or do we now have to leave words out in the middle of sentences to get the paper to support your claims? Seems almost like, what's the word again? It rhymes with mote-whining, I think.
Thats funny ^_^. Yes some of the references are saying may be the case and others are more straight forward. But At least now you are a step closer to acknowledging that they are at least maybe questioning the ability and role of natural selection. AS I have stated I may merely bring to the attention this paper that is questioning natural selection and I would rather people to acknowledge that this is the case and then dispute the conclusions rather than deny that the paper is even questioning natural selection in the first place.

That still wouldn't explain why the author identified selection as a fundamental force driving evolution, but if it makes you feel better go for it.
It all helps to clarify what exactly he is saying doesn't it. Afterall we want to find out what he means by force and what exactly is natural selections role or force is. The more we include the rest of the paper and understand and acknowledge all that is said the more we can have a clear understanding of what it is the paper is saying about natural selection.

So are the quotes which say the evolution is a fundamental force driving evolution, but you've come up with post after post of excuses trying to distract from the obvious meaning so you must not have that much issue with the tactic.
No so is the quote. One quote that says the same thing twice and doesn't give us any further understanding or clarification. The fact that you want to keep using that quote over and over again against the 10 plus statements or even the rest of the paper which is clearly telling us what force natural selection is in evolution then you are using it out of context and quote mining it. I have and are quite happy to acknowledge and use the entire paper to help us understand things.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Which "theory" do you belive to be an assumption?
The part that the paper also states is an assumption
Jacob (46) argues that “it is natural selection that gives direction to changes, orients chance, and slowly, progressively produces more complex structures, new organs, and new species.” The vast majority of biologists almost certainly agree with such statements. But where is the direct supportive evidence for the assumption that complexity is rooted in adaptive processes?
http://www.pnas.org/content/104/suppl_1/8597.full#ref-17

Darwin's theory is based on an assumption that natural selection and random mutations can evolve complex features and creatures. There is no direct evidence for this.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The part that the paper also states is an assumption
Jacob (46) argues that “it is natural selection that gives direction to changes, orients chance, and slowly, progressively produces more complex structures, new organs, and new species.” The vast majority of biologists almost certainly agree with such statements. But where is the direct supportive evidence for the assumption that complexity is rooted in adaptive processes?

Darwin's theory is based on an assumption that natural selection and random mutations can evolve complex features and creatures. There is no direct evidence for this.

No no no. That is not what the quote says.

The quote says that some complexity may be explained with other processes, not that natural selection cannot increase complexity.

The rest of the paper makes all of this clear.

• Agree
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
OK there's two quotes that say the same thing which add up to one bit of information.

You mean the information that natural selection is a fundamental force driving evolution, right.

No I have acknowledge the quote and have said that I dont dispute that Natural selection is a force.

You did dispute it had a non-negligible effect on how life changes and develops. Are you changing your mind?

But you dont know what the specific force or role is that your quote is attributing to natural selection.

Yes I do, but that's because I know biology.

Are you saying just because it mentions evolution is a general sense that it allies to having the ability to evolve all sorts of things and that it negates everything else the paper says and questions about natural selection.

No, but thanks for asking.

I didn't ask you to make a choice of one thing or another

You asking a question doesn't change the fact that we need to believe that you've discovered some hiding meaning in a paper which the author, reviewer and publisher all missed. And that instead of publishing your amazing findings, you're here on an anonymous internet forum trying to convince everyone that you've figured it all out.

The author himself tells us that he is putting a challenge to supporters of mainstream evolution evolution

Yes, very good. That's not what I'm talking about, though. You want us to believe his paper somehow secretly supports your idea that natural selection is negligible in how life changes and develops. That's not something supporters of mainstream evolution say, so your observation here is pointless.

So we have many statements from the author himself which clearly tell us that he is writing this paper to dispel some of the beliefs about natural selections ability and role in evolution.

Where does he agree with you that natural selection is negligible in how life changes and develops? I'll take a quote in any color you want to cherry-pick.

So your acknowledging that the rest of the paper is questioning natural selections ability to evolve complex gene networks and architecture.

You do understanding that questioning the ability of selection to evolve certain things isn't conclusive proof that natural selection is negligible, right? I didn't think I had to ask such an obvious question but the fact that you're acting as if your observation means anything makes me wonder.

It is very interesting you use the fact this author questions something as conclusive evidence for your case. But when he states a fact you don't like several times in the paper, you immediately turn to "but do we really know what the definition of 'is' is" levels of nitpicking. Doesn't that strike you as a bit inconsistent?

I was talking about the quote from the paper :

if there is an advantage of organismal complexity, one can only marvel at the inability of natural selection to promote it.
Thus, contrary to popular belief, natural selection may not only be an insufficient mechanism for the origin of genetic modularity, but population-genetic environments that maximize the efficiency of natural selection may actually promote the opposite situation, alleles under unified transcriptional control.
http://www.pnas.org/content/104/suppl_1/8597.full

There's nothing in this quote saying natural selection is negligible, so pretending that I agreed that it said so is quite dishonest. Yet another example of quote-mining by pulling something out of context. Do you even realize when you're doing this or does it just happen subconsciously?

But At least now you are a step closer to acknowledging that they are at least maybe questioning the ability and role of natural selection.

In specific categories of evolution. Yes, that's why I said so when you first posted this quote a while back. Try to keep up.

The more we include the rest of the paper and understand and acknowledge all that is said the more we can have a clear understanding of what it is the paper is saying about natural selection.

Unless you want us to ignore parts of the paper that are uncomfortable to you, the understand is that despite some cases where it isn't important, selection is still a fundamental force driving evolution.

No so is the quote. One quote that says the same thing twice and doesn't give us any further understanding or clarification.

You're complaining that an article written for an audience of biology professionals doesn't expand on what it means for natural selection to be a fundamental force driving evolution? Come on. You might as well use the fact that the vast majority of physics papers don't discuss the evidence for relativity as "evidence" that there's gaping hole in that theory as well.

Pro tip - biologists know the evidence for natural selection is overwhelming. Them not pointing it out in every single paper doesn't mean you've somehow stumbled upon a 150+ year conspiracy to oppress your religious faith wishing that is wasn't true. It just means they assume that their audience has a decent education in the subject.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

The quote says that some complexity may be explained with other processes, not that natural selection cannot increase complexity.

Remember, though, unless the author writes a textbook about any particular sentence, we can and should complain bitterly that there's no real way to know exactly what he meant.

Unless the quote can be chopped in half to make it look like it supports creationism, of course. Then, any collection of letters you can slap together and make pink supports whatever it is that creationists imagine to be true.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Well as far as I can see the paper is asking is natural selection even a necessary force to explain the building of complex organisms. So that would also suggest that natural selection is not involved in the emergence of complex life. Even so saying it is insufficient or negligible still places it in a less significant role and discredits the claims that many in evolution have made that natural selection is all powerful and responsible for the creation of all life such as what Dawkins has often said.

What is in question is whether natural selection is a necessary or sufficient force to explain the emergence of the genomic and cellular features central to the building of complex organisms.

It also questions natural selections ability to promote the evolution of complex organisms and that complex life itself diminishes the potential ability of natural selection.

if there is an advantage of organismal complexity, one can only marvel at the inability of natural selection to promote it. Multicellular species experience reduced population sizes, reduced recombination rates, and increased deleterious mutation rates, all of which diminish the efficiency of selection (13). It may be no coincidence that such species also have substantially higher extinction rates than do unicellular taxa

Not just that the paper seems to even suggest that in population genetic environments natural selection may actually promote the opposite of producing complex stable structures by throwing a spanner in the works of the finely tuned mechanisms of transcription control.

Thus, contrary to popular belief, natural selection may not only be an insufficient mechanism for the origin of genetic modularity, but population-genetic environments that maximize the efficiency of natural selection may actually promote the opposite situation, alleles under unified transcriptional control.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well as far as I can see the paper is asking is natural selection even a necessary force to explain the building of complex organisms. So that would also suggest that natural selection is not involved in the emergence of complex life. Even so saying it is insufficient or negligible still places it in a less significant role and discredits the claims that many in evolution have made that natural selection is all powerful and responsible for the creation of all life such as what Dawkins has often said.

What is in question is whether natural selection is a necessary or sufficient force to explain the emergence of the genomic and cellular features central to the building of complex organisms.

It also questions natural selections ability to promote the evolution of complex organisms and that complex life itself diminishes the potential ability of natural selection.

if there is an advantage of organismal complexity, one can only marvel at the inability of natural selection to promote it. Multicellular species experience reduced population sizes, reduced recombination rates, and increased deleterious mutation rates, all of which diminish the efficiency of selection (13). It may be no coincidence that such species also have substantially higher extinction rates than do unicellular taxa

Not just that the paper seems to even suggest that in population genetic environments natural selection may actually promote the opposite of producing complex stable structures by throwing a spanner in the works of the finely tuned mechanisms of transcription control.

Haha, you are priceless! You really dont understand the articles or even how to read science papers!

Please, write to the authors and ask them about your "interpretations".

Listen, you have zero background in physical science, maybe you should ask yourself the odds of you understanding things correctly in fields where you lack basic knowledge?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Haha, you are priceless! You really dont understand the articles or even how to read science papers!

Please, write to the authors and ask them about your "interpretations".

Listen, you have zero background in physical science, maybe you should ask yourself the odds of you understanding things correctly in fields where you lack basic knowledge?
Thats a logical fallacy based on an argument from personal incredulity: Besides I have the authors paper which states in plain English that natural selection is given too much credit by supports of evolution. He states that clearly and you dont need to be a biologists to understand that. Why would the author use such direct language. He clearly asks for example is natural selection a necessary or sufficient force to explain the emergence of the genomic and cellular features central to the building of complex organisms. As he mentioned in his papers genetic drift is promoting deleterious mutations and discouraging beneficial mutations so there are restrictions and barriers on molecular refinement by natural selection.

He also states where is the evidence for the assumption that complexity is rooted in adaptive processes which you have dismissed. Why would he use such language if it wasn't showing how natural selection is made out to be capable of evolving complex life when there's is no evidence for it. He states that the majority of biologist believe the assumption but there's no evidence for it. So obviously he is saying that there is a common belief about natural selection which is based on an assumption which has no evidence. It doesn't matter what it is applied to, its the fact that he is calling out an assumption about natural selection. Why would he be so clear and direct with his language. You seem to be saying that he didn't really mean this because its impossible because natural selection is responsible anyway and no one dare challenge it because everyone says its correct.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thats a logical fallacy based on an argument from personal incredulity: Then why would the author use such direct language. He clearly asks for example is natural selection a necessary or sufficient force to explain the emergence of the genomic and cellular features central to the building of complex organisms. As he mentioned in his papers genetic drift is promoting deleterious mutations and discouraging beneficial mutations so there are restrictions and barriers on molecular refinement by natural selection.

Somehow when I point out the obvious you want to take clear spoken English and say it doesn't really mean what it says because it can only be understood if your a biologists. If thats the case then most people on this site cant contribute anything because they are not biologists. The author is a biologists and he is clearly asking the question is natural selection even necessary or sufficient for the emergence of the genomic and cellular features central to the building of complex organisms. Its not rocket science.

As you obviously dont listen to reason. Please write to the authors.

Btw, do you accept common descent?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As you obviously dont listen to reason. Please write to the authors.
You havnt given any reason. I have asked a simple question for you to clarify and you avoid answering it. I'll ask once again, why would the author put the claims about natural selection in a way that makes it look like he is questioning the ability of natural selection in referring to the sections I posted previous post. Why would he say that there is no evidence fro the assumptions of the majority of biologists who think that Natural selection gives direction to changes, orients chance, and slowly, progressively produces more complex structures, new organs, and new species. I mean thats a reasonable question to ask. It seems you are the one who is not listening to or responding to reason by ignoring these questions I have asked several times.

Btw, do you accept common descent?
To a limited extent. I see no direct evidence for there being any universal common ancestor. But common decent could happen on a limited basis for groups of animals that trace back to a common ancestors.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
...I see no direct evidence for there being any universal common ancestor. But common decent could happen on a limited basis for groups of animals that trace back to a common ancestors.
How many species would you expect to find in the ancestral lineage of each group, or alternatively, how far back in time to the initial common ancestors?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You havnt given any reason. I have asked a simple question for you to clarify and you avoid answering it. I'll ask once again, why would the author put the claims about natural selection in a way that makes it look like he is questioning the ability of natural selection in referring to the sections I posted previous post. Why would he say that there is no evidence fro the assumptions of the majority of biologists who think that Natural selection gives direction to changes, orients chance, and slowly, progressively produces more complex structures, new organs, and new species. I mean thats a reasonable question to ask. It seems you are the one who is not listening to or responding to reason by ignoring these questions I have asked several times.

To a limited extent. I see no direct evidence for there being any universal common ancestor. But common decent could happen on a limited basis for groups of animals that trace back to a common ancestors.

I and other have already snswered your question. The author doesnt say what you say he says, which is clear if you understand science.

Not accepting common descent? Why? Religion again?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I and other have already snswered your question. The author doesnt say what you say he says, which is clear if you understand science.
Others have said that the papers dont even question natural selection at all so I cant see how thats a satisfactory answer when its quite clear from the section of paper I posted above that it is being questioned.

Not accepting common descent? Why? Religion again?
I have stated that there is a degree of common descent. I assume you are basing your reply on me not accepting universal common descent.There is a lot of scientific evidence that contradicts the idea of universal common descent.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How many species would you expect to find in the ancestral lineage of each group, or alternatively, how far back in time to the initial common ancestors?
I dont know and I dont think there is evidence to show any Strong linage for any single common ancestor. The tree of life is more like a forest that a tree.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
I dont know and I dont think there is evidence to show any Strong linage for any single common ancestor. The tree of life is more like a forest that a tree.
So what are your grounds for saying, "common decent [sic] could happen on a limited basis for groups of animals that trace back to a common ancestors"? That is what I was asking about.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Others have said that the papers dont even question natural selection at all so I cant see how thats a satisfactory answer when its quite clear from the section of paper I posted above that it is being questioned.

I have stated that there is a degree of common descent. I assume you are basing your reply on me not accepting universal common descent.There is a lot of scientific evidence that contradicts the idea of universal common descent.

No, common descent is incredibly well supported. There is no scientific reason to doubt it.

And the papers do not question natural selection in the way you think they do. In fact they dont question it at all. They just say that some complexity may appear because of other processes. But natural selection is still the fundamental force.

Upvote 0